Starting Dodge Four restoration.

Something which came to light when I rebuilt my engine ( 5 bearing "c" ) was that the crank was slightly bent.  It meant despite the main journals being accurately ground, I couldn't take the main bearing caps up by more than a 0.003" clearance without binding.  Perhaps you might consider checking yours?  A possible cause of vibration?

Re balancing:  I gather these low revving  engines were never properly balanced when new and simply relied on the very heavy flywheel to even things out.  

Ray. 

IMG_0274.JPG

Edited by R.White (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thanks Ray I’ll be sending the crank and flywheel to a fella near me with a lot of old engine building experience so I’ll get him to check it all out for me. 

Appreciate the tip. 

Graet looking old girl you’ve got there I love those seats. 

I, with others will be in Australia, and New Zealand in February and March 2019.  I would like to meet Dodge Brothers people, if I can squeeze it in,  This trip is a tour, with stops in Australia, and New Zealand.  Being a Yank, I'm not familiar with these countries, so don't really have a clue as your location.  One of my companions is meeting a man in Tauranga, who now owns a car he had in Pe Ell, Washington!!  Must really be a story there!!  If interested, and I can make it work, I'll need addresses and phone numbers.  Please send me an email as to finding you.  27dodger0  @  jaehawks@msn.com  Thanks!!

1 hour ago, 27dodger0 said:

I, with others will be in Australia, and New Zealand in February and March 2019.  I would like to meet Dodge Brothers people, if I can squeeze it in,  This trip is a tour, with stops in Australia, and New Zealand.  Being a Yank, I'm not familiar with these countries, so don't really have a clue as your location.  One of my companions is meeting a man in Tauranga, who now owns a car he had in Pe Ell, Washington!!  Must really be a story there!!  If interested, and I can make it work, I'll need addresses and phone numbers.  Please send me an email as to finding you.  27dodger0  @  jaehawks@msn.com  Thanks!!

I’m in Victoria, which part of Australia are you guys going to. 

We land in Sydney on 15 Feb, and will be at the Travel Lodge  hotel Sydney, for 2 days, and board  The Majestic Princess on Feb 18 TH .   Then we will in Melbourne, Feb 20th, from 8 AM to 6 PM. Then Feb 22, Hobart, from 8 AM to 6 PM.  Then on to  New Zealand.  Would be nice to speak Dodge!!  If it doesn't work out, I thank you for answering! Chuck

from the pics I am pretty sure the motor is a early 26 motor and not the fast Four which came out later in 1926. The fast four motor has the distributor mounted in the top/middle of the head like the Ford Model A. I had a cracked Fast four motor for a while and is total different that yours. Your is identical to my 26 motor.

go to http://www.fastfourspecial.com/engine.html and scan down and you will see a Fast Four original motor. 

I still have the tranny and clutch assemble out of that motor in good working condition.