Buick Generators

I am seriously thinking about switching to a Powergen alternator in my Electra. I can get a Powergen that will keep my push to start and my generator light working.

My 2 Generators that I have are both toast according to the test I ran.  

Checking prices it will cost about the same for a Powergen as to get the Generator fixed. Plus I will have more amperage to power my trunk full of subwoofers (LOL).

Has anyone used a Powergen and how did you like it ?

I have one in my 56 special..I literally drive it Dailey.. Been on for over a year cause I got sick and tired of awful modern voltage regulators.. Haven't had a single problem since..I did end up going one belt size smaller then factory.

You seem to already be on top of it. The powergen with the lamp post is grounded to the case except when charging so it's perfect for the starter relay. I've wanted one for a while now but haven't been able to justify the $500 purchase.

What generator rebuild costs that much?

• Like 2

When you have to have the Armature rewind because it is grounded, the cost goes up in a hurry.  

Talking to the former owner, the car has gremlens for a while and I just want to drive it and not bring it home on a flatbed or trailer.

BTw,  if you talk to the folks at Powergen, they will build you a version that has the push to start and a gen light provision. 

Vey helpful folks.

• Like 5

Wow, this is very interesting!  Good to know when my generator goes south.  I will certainly purchase one of these as I can keep the pedal start. 

Bill, if you do make the purchase please share the installation process that keeps the pedal start intact. 

Thanks!      

Chris,  I did make the purchase and it will be here Friday.   I will post how it goes on this thread.

I have a spare 35 amp generator if you want it. Just pay for shipping.  No idea if it is any good or not.  It turns though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

Chris,  I did make the purchase and it will be here Friday.   I will post how it goes on this thread.

I have a spare 35 amp generator if you want it. Just pay for shipping.  No idea if it is any good or not.  It turns though.

Oh great!  Yes please on the installation process and how the regulator is handled, etc.   Thank you for the offer on the generator.  I'm good with what I have(knocking on wood. Plus, both Buicks have original regulators that keep on working!)  When the time comes I will be switching to this type of unit thus my interest in installation and performance.        

• Like 1

Here is what I got in the mail.   BTW  The folks at Powergen will do what  they need to do to make you happy.

I had them put a double pull for AC plus the gen light terminal on.

They include the relay shown below.

You disconnect the regulator.

Powergen.jpg

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)

Not sure what the purpose of the relay is other than it opens the circuit when the alternator starts charging.. which means you don't need the extra relay at all since that's how the generator worked. Its basically just another redundant relay to open the starter circuit. 

Unless the alternator terminal is not internally grounded when off but i can't see that being the case. 

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)

If it is anything like the idiot light terminal on a typical GM 10si etc., it doesn't ground or open the terminal. It just brings the terminal up to charging voltage when turning. Since the voltage is the same on both sides of the light, the light goes out.

• Like 1

First try this morning was to hang the Powergen from the generator brackets.

IT DOES NOT FIT.  The holes dont line up and it looks like the belts wont either.  I am about a 1/2 hole off on the front.

Thought about doing some modifying of the bracket but not ready to do that yet.

In the house cooling off and waiting fro a second set of eyes.

I am glad I started with this as opposed to the wiring.

Well we thought we had it solved.  We went ahead and wired the car for all of its improvements.  We had the powergen hanging on the bracket after a little modification/

We were putting the adjuster bracket on and no matter what we did we couldn't get it adjusted.  We pulled it back off and the ear on the alternator is in the wrong place.

You can see the ear is cocked a little less in the :Plowegen versus the original one.

IMG_1701.thumb.jpg.433002dcc8d6226efb0721b2d94ea212.jpg

I think the whole problem is the face I have A/C on mine.  I would love to see a picture of yours if you can do that.

The one picture I saw showed the alternator on top of the brakes while mine hangs from the bracket.

This will explain why the wire connections are on the bottom.

I figure out how to make a bracket from a universal bracket from Mr. Gasket.  Now I have it all mounted and line up and have to shop for some new Belts.

As far as what I go, looking at pictures from various people, it looks like it is made for Non AC Cars as they seem to sit with the bracket on the bottom as opposed to hanging from the bracket.

I will talk to them tomorrow about this.

• Like 2

Wiring,  if it works (LOL) was not hard.  I removed the regulator and used two of the wires from the generator to feed the Gen Light and the relay for the push to start.  Ran the feed wire over to the lug that the battery connects to, The relay for the push to start sits where the voltage regulator sat before.

We will see if it works.  (Cross Fingers) 

• Like 3

ITS ALIVE...  After some custom bracket work and find a belt that was bigger, I was able to work this morning and get it running again.  I did have my wife standing by with the Fire extinguisher just in case though.

It make a difference, the noise I attributed to the compressor has gone away.

My gas pedal start works and I have a generator light.

My AC blower is much better now, I actually could feel it coming out the drivers side vent and the turn signals flash faster.

I am happy now.

I can even live with the connections being on the bottom.

Here is how mine is mounted and the adjusting bracket I made from an universal bracket I cut and drilled.

IMG_1713.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

• Like 6

On 7/27/2018 at 8:15 AM, EmTee said:

So, where in those pictures is the alternator that you're talking about...?  ;)

The alternator is under the A/C compressor.  It is a Powergen alternator that looks very similar to a generator. (except inside).

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Bill,

Can you tell me which model you purchased? They seem to have 2 that will work for my 1957 Buick, one with a "light/lamp" terminal and one without. 82051 is without the lamp terminal, 82051-2 is with. I'm thinking of putting one on my wagon as I am rebuilding it for trailer towing. Thanks for your help on this.

Jim

I called them and talked to John Babcock.  I ordered was going to order a  82501-4 which has the push to start feature.  After talking to John, I had him make me a special.  I got a Powergen Altenator with push to start and a Gen light on it.  It works well and kicks but with the AC blower.  I would highly recommend it.  As I said, if you have AC, it  mounts with wires on the bottom.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried out the 5th Ave. 6volt alternator. It works really nice. 60AMP and easy install. My push to start still works. Battery stays fully charged now! I only needed one piece of the mount kit and it bolted up so close to the block I am able to use the original drive belt.

Nice upgrade.

Cheers,

Phil

• Thanks 1