'38 Special Oil Filter plumbing

tyler searle

Lost all my "before" pictures of my engine removal. Not sure how the plumbing goes on the oil filter or if it was correct in the first place. If anyone can explain where the bottom and side lines attach it would be a great help. Detailed pictures of both sides of the engine installed in the car would be a Godsend.

Also, what is the purpose of the threaded hole in the center where the distributor goes in the block?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Tyler

If you have a 1938 Buick Service Manual, you should have photos of both sides of the engine that you can find in the manual. You really need a service manual if you don't have one. You won't find an external oil filter in the service manual photos because a 1938 Buick did not have one. The oil pump pickup floats on the surface of the oil so that it does not suck up any of the heavy particles that should settle to the bottom of the oil pan. 

Are you possibly asking about where the octane selector scale attaches to the distributor? A photo of what you are asking about would help. 

Ok, '38's didn't originally have a filter, that's why I couldn't find an image of one.

The hole I was referring to is just below where the distributor mounts on the block, as shown in the picture above. What is the purpose of the bolt that goes in the hole?

I do have a shop Manuel but someone else is using it and I'll have it back tomorrow .

Thanks for responding and for the excellent photo.

Tyler

I am not that familiar with the smaller series engine, as most of what I have here are 320 engines. Can you please post a close up photo of the hole you are talking about. I still don't understand what you are talking about by "just below where the distributor mounts on the block".

Hi Tyler,

I've posted an admittedly poor picture of the bottom of a distributor of a 1937 Buick. I assume the threaded hole you are referring to is where the bolt is on this block. If that is the case the bolt holds the scale for the octane selector.

Carl

P7080073.JPG

8 hours ago, BuicksBuicks said:

Forgot about the battery in the 38's.   Maybe you can just drill a hole through the battery and mount it there!

Better option. There are two soft metal posts on the top.  you could drill out and tap them to take a 1/4 or 5/16 UNC bolt. Then make up a metal bracket that fits between, then attach the filter to that. Takes care of the battery issue ???? 

probably look more OEM too! ??????

On 7/13/2018 at 12:00 AM, DonMicheletti said:

I like mounting it on the battery !

Don, these  posts are on the battery. If you look they usually have + and - on them ????