13 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

Wonder why Nader didn’t write a book about it’s unreliable status? 

"Unsafe If It Starts" would be a good title... :D

• Haha 1

The last one I saw, a few years ago,  was at Porky's Drive In over in St Paul. It had a tube frame and a blown engine.

Their spirit lives on in the Prius, Volt, and Tesla. Same people, progressively more affluent.

• Like 1

When I married my wife, she had a Yugo. One of the happiest days of my life was when she burned it up from lack of oil.  That car was a POS ! I remember replacing the clutch cable several times and it was a Fiat part.  Car was sitting our driveway when the back bumper literally just dropped to the ground.  Not rusted or anything; welds just gave up the ghost and it fell off while sitting still.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Roger Walling said:

What? Ralph Nader didn't notice the rt. rear wheel off of the ground in the sales video? Definitely out of control (at least by his standards)

Ralph who???

• Haha 1

There was a guy here in Vegas that had a new engine for sale still in the factory shipping crate. Something tells me he still has it.

I know of one in pristine condition that gets used everyday and is loved. I had a very low mileage one at a salvage yard with a blown SOMETHING. A friend that is a teachers assistant at an elementary school asked if he could have it as a reaching tool and I told him "sure." Everything combustible or toxic was removed as well as what could shatter into sharp pieces and it is now the "Rewards Room" within the regular classroom. Has several trick amenities for kids that ace a test and get to go to the Yugo rather than study for a later test.

Now eligible for Hershey with the last coming out about 1992. The Yugo was a vastly superior car to a 1968 Subaru 360. Trying to say something nice...

The Subaru below was f/s @$3,900 on BringATrailer a few years ago. A former 360 owner quipped that you got the performance you'd expect from a 25 h.p. motor, but the dirt bike soundtrack almost made up for it.

1969 Subaru 360 Sedan

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

23 hours ago, jeff_a said:

Now eligible for Hershey with the last coming out about 1992. Vastly superior car to a Subaru 360. Trying to say something nice...

Keep trying...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/5/2018 at 12:11 AM, Xander Wildeisen said:

Seller does not say why the wife is mad? Selling her Yugo?

Or the squirrel-attacked wiring?

Around seven years ago, I went to the Costco, in Yonkers New York (built on the site of a former Jewish cemetery) and I watched in amassment has a young girl pulled up in a Yugo, got out of the car, locked the doors and then went to the other side of the car, to make sure the doors were all locked.   I guess I missed seeing Yugo's on the list of most stolen cars.  About 3 months later, I saw her again.  At the same Costco.   But this time she was driving a  blue Yugo convertible with a license plate that read " YUGO GIRL".  I saw that and said to myself, we need more girls like that!!!     

Edited by 32tatra (see edit history)
  • Like 3

A friend drove his Yugo to the local auto-parts store.

"I'd like some floor mats for my Yugo," he said to the counter man.

"Okay.  That sounds like a fair trade."

• Haha 3

On 7/5/2018 at 8:42 AM, Hudsy Wudsy said:

The last one I saw, a few years ago,  was at Porky's Drive In over in St Paul. It had a tube frame and a blown engine.

Hudsy, please explain. Did the engine have a blower on top of it, or were parts of the engine scattered around Porkys parking lot? Hahahaha!!!!  Well, it was a Nogo, I mean Yugo.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:51 PM, 32tatra said:

But this time she was driving a  blue Yugo convertible with a license plate that read " YUGO GIRL".  I saw that and said to myself, we need more girls like that!!!     

Probably because "GOGO GIRL" was already taken!!

Craig

I remember a friend calling these "40,000 mile cars" - after that you junked them. It was a time when there were a raft of rice burners (Honda, Subaru,..) with 360cc engines (some kind of tax break) that gave a number a start made possible by the US government (remember a FIAT 124 sedan I drove that would buzz you to death over 60 mph but at 55 it was fine). Also we had the CitiCar made here in Sebring. Only car that failed a brake test by wrapping the caliper around the wheel.

And then there was the Renault Encore. Only rent car I returned because it overheated before I left the airport. (I like small cars particularly as rentals, had a lot of Hertz Pintos, but returned an Aztek because it was raining and you could not see out the back (no rear wiper)).

Finally don't forget Team Go: Hego, Mego, twins Wego. & sister Shego

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:36 PM, jeff_a said:

Now eligible for Hershey with the last coming out about 1992. The Yugo was a vastly superior car to a 1968 Subaru 360. Trying to say something nice...

The Subaru below was f/s @$3,900 on BringATrailer a few years ago. A former 360 owner quipped that you got the performance you'd expect from a 25 h.p. motor, but the dirt bike soundtrack almost made up for it.

1969 Subaru 360 Sedan

Malcolm Bricklin was behind BOTH the importing of Subarus and Yugos!  

Ralph Nader never wrote a book about A car! It's been 53 years since the book was published, did anyone ever READ the book? It was aimed at the entire automotive  industry. ONLY chapter one cited the Corvair. And of course the NHSTA (a government agency that Ralph's campaign helped establish) published it's report in June of 1972 that exonerated the handling of the Corvair. ?

On 7/5/2018 at 8:22 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

Gosh I hate to bring this up but alas, despite the bit of fun being a DeLorean dealer I also took a gamble on Yugo.  Sold a boat load of them.  ...

Thanks for that info. I had never considered the lack of spare parts on the fall of the government.

After a complete search on internet on Yugo I find it sad and totally disagree with all the negativity!!  I had 2 when they were almost new and had very few to no problems.  There bad reputation is undeserved as they were built with a specific purpose and most of the problem came in when the public expected far too much from a car that was priced less than half of average.  Driven with some basic care, not raced, and realizing they were only meant to go so fast and they were great.  I am now stirring up memories and have 3 to include a like new 88 gvx. Currently totally restoring 88gv. A common sense car for comment men designed for a pupose

Yeah. They were the cheapest car in America during those years, but FAR from the worst. It was 1987! Apparently most of the people dissing them Online either weren't old enough to remember, or have forgotten what average cars were like in those days.

It's just a license built FIAT, 127 body on 128 mechanicals as I recall. I worked on a few of them back when they were almost new. I never thought they were bad cars.