EmTee

The Wide Variety of Buick Dashboard Designs

On 7/12/2018 at 9:23 PM, Brass is Best said:

56b36.jpg

I don't care much for the 56 dash, it always felt like an afterthought to me. "Oops we forgot about the heater controls!"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

@Beemon The '56 dash  may be lackluster in some ways but the factory gauges are cool and unique besides!

Yeah the 90 degree sweeps are pretty cool, especially if they have the black ears to hide the rest of the gauge face. I still like my dash of course, but I think the small body 54/55 dash is the hot ticket for the tri-5 Buicks.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Beemon said:

Yeah the 90 degree sweeps are pretty cool, especially if they have the black ears to hide the rest of the gauge face. I still like my dash of course, but I think the small body 54/55 dash is the hot ticket for the tri-5 Buicks.

I like my 55 century dash, but a unique direct fit would be to change to a 55 Oldsmobile dash.

That speedometer  came out of an 83 Riviera XX Twentieth Anniversary edition. A convertible model of the XX was the Indy Pace car in 1983.  140 mph probably wasn't optimistic.  Intercooled twin turbo 4.3 liter V6  would get it there. Buick's idea, not mine.

Well, my '85 Rivi convertible with the puny 307 c.i. V8 would not even begin to approach such speeds!

That pace car is a one of  kind.  Especially built for the Indy 500.  It's now housed in Buick's museum in Flint. Or at leat it was when it was brought to the ROA event in Eureka Springs, AR along with Silver Arrow I and a host of other one-offs.

My 68 Riviera dash is not as sexy as the pre-mid-60s versions. It's designed to deliver function over form, in my opinion.

The dash torn apart to replace light bulbs and fix AC control vacuum hoses that had come off the control modules.

20171030_132512.thumb.jpg.4c42534f243971930892b97badda6cb8.jpg

Reassembled dash (Grant wood steering wheel installed). The Riviera horn cap emblem was made by Emblem Pros. I attached it to a blank Grant horn cap.

20180309_124411.thumb.jpg.c7168f251f42b40c8bba37b2ac869a33.jpg

Dash with original steering wheel re-installed.

20180825_140531.thumb.jpg.3774a07149b59871613890e891b34c22.jpg

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, NC68Riviera said:

My 68 Riviera dash is not as sexy as the pre-mid-60s versions. It's designed to deliver function over form, in my opinion.

The dash may not be sexy, but I very much like that style. The instrument cluster is similar to my dad's '69 Le Sabre. I loved everything about that car, and wish I had the room in my garage to have one again.

• Like 1

The walnut wheel is nice, but I'm a sucker for the original.  The one yours came with is like the one on my '67.  I have been going back-and-forth in my head about adding a fitted, black leather wrap to the rim.  I think that would be classy and in keeping with the way it could have been offered originally.  On the other hand, that skinny, hard rim in my hand while driving is soooo "1960's".  There's no mistaking that feel with a contemporary vehicle...  -_-

1925-45 Mclaughlin Buick with the special recessed walnut dash and adjustable steering column .  Before and after pics.  Leon

img047.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

• Like 6

Not the best picture but simplicity at it's best.

Notice the padded dash? :D

DSCN0692.thumb.JPG.7b90fe84e518b701fab3b5b4c00cffd9.JPG

On 12/31/2018 at 3:39 PM, garnetkid said:

1925-45 Mclaughlin Buick with the special recessed walnut dash and adjustable steering column .  Before and after pics.  Leon

img047.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

How did the steering column adjust?  Just a length, or did it tilt in some fashion?

HI Derek, on the before pic you can see the bracket that holds the column to the dash.  You have to loosen the clamping bolt (which you can't see in the picture) and then the whole column with the wheel can move up and down about 3 inches in a slotted hole in the bracket.  Hope that makes sense.  Leon

• Thanks 1