White wall tires approved in Europe?

I have a '69 Cadillac Eldorado, which I plan on shipping to from California to Germany (to keep for myself). My car needs new tires. I want to get a set of four 'Eldorado Golden Fury' white wall tires.

Based on my research, all tires need to be 'ECE' approved in Europe. However, I am getting conflicting information if these same rule apply to cars 30 years or older. These 'Eldorado' tires don't have that mark/stamp on it. 

I don't want to end up buying a set here that I will have to replace right away. 

Has anyone had to deal with this type of thing before? Any input much appreciated.

I also use Maxis MA-1 on my 71 Cougar, in Poland. But I also have other car, still on tires from USA - and didn't have any problem with it. I'll look tomorrow, if they have any ECE sign. I know a lot of guys who are driving new, or modern car  or motorbikes imported directly from US - they changed the lights, noone even thoguht about tires. I fact, I hear about it for the first time.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cahartley said:

Wow.......that isn't a bad price!

102.70 EUR =120.046USD

In France the tyre quote does not include fitting and balancing. I went down that road 3 weeks ago. The 'extras', fit and balance were EUR 18.00 per corner. Motor-home tyres. Car tyres may be less.

We sold a 60 something Dodge to a couple of tourists from Germany.

They went on a ten day road trip here then we had to take the custom wheels off before they shipped it as they told us that Germany wouldn't let them in.

No, the tires are not subsidied... I don't think that any consumer product is subsided. In fact, the only "gift" from the government I get for driving classic is the lack of mandatory, yearly technical inspection. I've got it inspected once, and forever.

What's the reason of cheapness of Maxis tires? Well, I remember when they has shown on market - being advertised as a affordable tire with white stripe. For the set I bought in ~~ 2014 I paid around 300 € or even less - that's simillar to my modern automobile. Also, as press says, those tires were designed for best possible stopping distance and for slow aging - in favour of tire wear. So, why they are cheap? Mass production, causing low price, causing high sales volume, letting mass production... Unification with other tires from the same factory - thread pattern looks modern and probably is the same as in "normal" Maxis tires. 

About those wheels to Germany - I heard that their pre - registration inspection of classic car is really strict, and such thing as custom wheels would probably disqualify car from getting classic status. But that's the words I heard... Germans are known for abiding the law, Poles... Poles are slighly different

• Haha 2