1960 Pontiac Bonneville (Maude)

American Autowire makes factory correct wiring harnesses for GM products. CE Niehoff is a very reputable company. They no longer make parts for automotive applications. So I would not be hesitant of using the regulator. GM wiper systems can be a pain. The main thing to know is that the switch sends a ground signal to the motor and washer pump to operate them. They get power with the ignition switch.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, certjeff1 said:

American Autowire makes factory correct wiring harnesses for GM products. CE Niehoff is a very reputable company. They no longer make parts for automotive applications. So I would not be hesitant of using the regulator. GM wiper systems can be a pain. The main thing to know is that the switch sends a ground signal to the motor and washer pump to operate them. They get power with the ignition switch.

I’ve sent an email to AAW for a new entire harness, front to back.  I have an AAW in my 57 Chevy.  I do need to get a spare fuse block though as I don’t want to wait several weeks to get the car back on the road.  

• 1 year later...

Finally some updates.  Summer is when I’m usually able to get a lot done, but COVID kept me busier than usual so not much done. I did install the Scarebird disc brake kit up front, but it did require me to go to 15” wheels. I went ahead and bought a set of rally wheels and whitewalls, painted the wheels the body color, and now need to decide on the chrome center caps to finish it off.  It does stop well!  There were many hiccups with the brake installation though  

5EDDEFD3-C3B9-42CA-9E6D-A1F230611C3A.thumb.jpeg.07da9b8adc0c1ed1a9cf7e65475ed8eb.jpeg

Edited by AURktman (see edit history)
  • Like 2

It doesn’t seem like it was a year ago since I last posted.  My next step is to send out the spare fuse block I have to AAW to get all new wiring made.  This car spent most of its life in very dry climate, which is good for the body but hard on wire insulation. 

• 4 months later...

Well, I FINALLY got the fuse block sent out to AAW for a new harness. I’ve replaced everything in the loop for the wipers and they still don’t work so it has to be the wiring. The wiring in this one is pretty bad, and I would rather have replacement wiring than a smoking hulk after a fire. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Harness back from AAW, it will go in this summer.  I finally finished up the disc brakes on the front and had to correct some poor machining by the manufacturer to get the rear seal on the hub to fit. I was able to get her wiped down and out to a local car show. It was the first I had her out since the COVID hit, it was soooooo refreshing!  Now to get some premium unleaded... oh wait, I’m in the South and we still have empty gas stations......yay.  I put some 87 octane in her from a gas can I had full and she ran awful in the afternoon on the way home.  I have to fill her with premium and make her happy again.

Pics from getting there early, I was helping out with registration.  A pretty diverse group of cars.   Everything from a 2021 Cadillac to a 31 Ford A with a flathead and Ardun heads.  

AAD0FBE4-A370-41AD-9D5D-B9DD1A56ED44.jpeg.26ccdc1a1f390fd7842da8a5129ef80f.jpeg

37E03BC4-AF9F-4D54-8A35-24A652463560.jpeg.f3bcb9ae62acb5869223f6c5f45807f2.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

New center caps on the wheels it took a bit of tweaking the inner rim of the cap to get them on.  Tookthis photo quickly while my wife was backing into her spot.  I will get a better photo tomorrow if it’s not an absolute thunderstorm.  We are due for some nasty weather.   

Yes… my wife stacked toilet paper on the hood.  But she considers the Bonneville her car so I can’t really say much….lol.  Also, I can’t say much anyway as I have the bottom of the front seat out of my 57 Chevy sitting on the trunk.  

5C4E84BA-BE46-4EF0-AD04-0D30C5DE50A4.jpeg.b19047bb17d3660a66436bf5e0317a10.jpeg

• Like 1

More photos, I’m really struggling on how much of this car to restore. It’s factory paint and interior, engine, etc.  Only wheels/tires and front brakes are not original.  

2E3F9B9F-E626-49DE-876D-2A6D1C334ACD.jpeg.4b3cd724b8b5bbde292ead34de41ec77.jpeg

E10CA83C-188D-49D9-8ED2-C84123B54824.jpeg.e44b406330964e8c03c3968de320fefa.jpeg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

It’s such a nice looking car, I would drive and enjoy it.

That’s my main plan, but I’m in a bit of a quandary as the transmission is giving me fits and I need it rebuilt.  I have a rebuild kit, but no one local (75 mile radius) will touch it.  I’m thinking of swapping out the Hydramatic for a TH400 with a Wilcap adapter.  

"Kits" are often sold, but almost never are the right answer for an automatic transmission. There are always a bunch of new parts you didn't really need because the guy specifying the kit had no idea what is wrong with your transmission, and there are some friction surfaces that don't get used a lot and literally never wear out unless some specific failure tears them up. Also, most automatics have internal clearances that are set up with shims or selective clearance snap rings, so even if you buy the big kit you typically wind up down at the local transmission shop ordering snap rings or shims or something to finish the job.

Has it had all the linkages, band adjustments, etc. set up according to the manual? Are you sure it is broken? If it were me, there is no way I would trade a Dual Coupling Hydramatic for a turbo 400. If it's a SlimJim, I dunno. Some guys hate those. I'm on the fence. As I understand it some cars that have it don't have space for a bigger transmission so that would be worth figuring out ahead of time. I would do whatever it takes to get it to someone who actually works on Hydramatics. Good luck with it whichever way you go.

• Like 1

I think it’s more of a “burping issue” with the fluid.  I filled it after replacing the gasket on the torque converter (or whatever that two piece thing is developed by someone on shrooms in GM), new filter, and pan gasket. The way the fill tube attaches wasn’t tight all the way and I had a huge amount leak out at startup.  What’s happening is that when I start it up, it works perfectly in reverse but takes a few revvings for it to catch in forward gear the first 2-3 times.  I just need to spend some time with that trans with the car up on my lift to see if everything looks correct. 

• Like 1

Most of the time, the rubber seals are hard like stones and must be replaced. Those transmissions are not the easiest to work on, but are agreeable when working right. I have now 2 cars with such transmissions and one '72 Cadillac with the TH400. My dream would to adapt an Hydramatic to the '72 car... 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Got out for the first local show of the year, it’s a show at the local junior high school to get kids interested in the older cars.   Actually drove her to work first then to the show.  

871E8F3F-9554-491B-A419-DDEF533B1E98.jpeg.683d94572ac8ddb5d17d9f9afa7c5bce.jpeg

CEDB8D32-9E2D-4F31-8E1D-BE60C799E454.jpeg.de9c5df557cbfefd26a56ab326baf715.jpeg

• Like 5

I’m still running the original Hydramatic.  I still haven’t had it rebuilt, I did find someone local that can build it so I will go that route.  I will get it done once the 57 is on the road, I don’t want two cars in pieces.  Shifts fine in reverse, takes a bit to get the torque converter to start spinning the transmission in forward gears. 

• 4 weeks later...

Glad I read the entire thread. Great looking car with a great story and history. These vintage family survivor cars are getting to be quite scarce so I'm glad to see you holding onto yours. I would keep it as original as possible for as long as you can. Stabilize and repair the rusty areas, preserve the original paint. Honestly, I'd leave the dents and scratches and creases alone, they are a part of the car's history and don't detract from the overall appearance. With this car, less will be more. Good luck, and I'll be keeping track of your efforts. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 6:29 PM, Rivguy said:

Glad I read the entire thread. Great looking car with a great story and history. These vintage family survivor cars are getting to be quite scarce so I'm glad to see you holding onto yours. I would keep it as original as possible for as long as you can. Stabilize and repair the rusty areas, preserve the original paint. Honestly, I'd leave the dents and scratches and creases alone, they are a part of the car's history and don't detract from the overall appearance. With this car, less will be more. Good luck, and I'll be keeping track of your efforts. 

I have a new wiring harness built by AAW on an original fuse block, that will get installed.  I will repair some of the underside rust that is in some critical areas in the trunk.  I will get a new stainless steel fuel tank for a 60 Chevy and modify it to fit. I also have a complete new exhaust to install.   Other than those things, I will do little else.  I want to be able to drive it regularly, I know Hugh and Maude would want it that way.  It only has 85,900 miles on it, I’ve put about 300 miles on it in 6 years and plan to put a lot more.  I also have the seat belts to install.  

Edited by AURktman (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...

I asked Peter to move this thread to the Unrestored section as I've decided to pursue the HPOF judging class with this car.  I will be putting the original drum brakes on with new drums (now that Kanter has them) and going through it with a fine tooth comb to get it back to an original unrestored state.  Few mods have been made that need to be reversed, I will need to get the new bias ply wide whitewalls, hoses and clamps, and a correct battery. 

On 7/1/2018 at 9:03 PM, Laughing Coyote said:

Also the 1960 Ventura and Catalina looks like they have the same body style as yours.  You could do searches for your trim pieces under those names as well.

My first car was a '60 Olds Super 88, this was also a hard top with the wrap around rear window (no B pillar). I would check to see if any of the parts for other GM cars will cross reference (wiper motor ?).

Edited by kingrudy (see edit history)

On 2/16/2023 at 10:36 AM, AURktman said:

I asked Peter to move this thread to the Unrestored section as I've decided to pursue the HPOF judging class with this car.  I will be putting the original drum brakes on with new drums (now that Kanter has them) and going through it with a fine tooth comb to get it back to an original unrestored state.  Few mods have been made that need to be reversed, I will need to get the new bias ply wide whitewalls, hoses and clamps, and a correct battery. 

If you decide to do that (HPOF) Please take off those slotted Chevy designed slotted wheels. They don't say Pontiac when you look at the car, and they might not let you in the class along with your disc brakes.

Also, your 4 speed Super HydraMatic (Pontiac's nomenclature) or Controlled Coupling HydraMatic does not have a torque converter, but rather a fluid coupling hence the HydraMatic Divisions name " Controlled Coupling HydraMatic"

• Like 2

On 1/3/2019 at 10:06 AM, Bill Stoneberg said:

59/60 GM cars, no matter the brand, had selling issues.  Tough time for GM.  I have the same issue with my Buick.    Love your car and the story.

For 1959 the entire auto industry was up 30.7% over the 1958 models except Buick. In 1959 Pontiac Division was up 77% over its 58 models and was now 4th in the industry rank. In 1960 Pontiac broke sale records again even higher than the 59 models and retained 4th place in 1960 industry sales. By 1962 Pontiac would be ranked number three in industry sales and hold that title through the decade.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Pfeil said:

If you decide to do that (HPOF) Please take off those slotted Chevy designed slotted wheels. They don't say Pontiac when you look at the car, and they might not let you in the class along with your disc brakes.

Also, your 4 speed Super HydraMatic (Pontiac's nomenclature) or Controlled Coupling HydraMatic does not have a torque converter, but rather a fluid coupling hence the HydraMatic Divisions name " Controlled Coupling HydraMatic"

Yep, the brakes and wheels are coming back off and originals back on. I will order a set of BFG wide whitewall 8.00x14 soon.  I need to replace the battery, hose clamps, and do a good cleaning. 

Ironically, the bolt pattern for the wheels are 5x5, and the aftermarket rally wheels I bought are dual pattern of 5x5 and 5x5.5.  I will use them as rolling stock on a Ford Model A when I get one.  

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I’m starting down the path of making her ready for HPOF.  I’m looking at Ames for the correct battery cables and these are what come up.  What in tarnation??   I’ve never seen cables like that.  I’m sure Ames has them correct, but how do they tighten?  
https://secure.amesperf.com/qilan/Detail_Web?part_num=PM500&order_number_e=NTU5MTEzNQ%3D%3D &web_access=Y

7E983C94-A2C0-4A56-B305-1E6CB0DF6AC6.jpeg.e3d17b75bdfc08086cee268fb9fe0028.jpeg

GM used those for several years. I can't confirm 1960, it sounds too early to me. but it might be right. They are like spring-type hose clamps. You squeeze them to make the holes a little bigger and slide them on the posts.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

I have seen these on later GM years.  Personally not a fan.  As far as HPOF, the standard cable with nut/bolt on my 60 Electra do not get a point deduction.

That’s good to know, I had been advised to get different (proper) cables.  I’m assuming red + and black - cables?  The ones on there now (definitely not original) are swapped colors. 

CED3E70A-5CAD-4723-8053-C255C3A49110.jpeg.1f96b263a47e95f922da4487552e007a.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 5:27 PM, AURktman said:

Yep, the brakes and wheels are coming back off and originals back on. I will order a set of BFG wide whitewall 8.00x14 soon.

A friend of mine owns the '60 Catalina below.  Has the Ventura interior and looks great with the 8-lug wheels.

image.png.f2624c4f21fd89001327ee8e58f58aff.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, EmTee said:

A friend of mine owns the '60 Catalina below.  Has the Ventura interior and looks great with the 8-lug wheels.

I thought about doing those, but since I have the dealer/factory window sticker, I couldn’t get away with it in the HPOF.   

70EAFABC-E826-4424-B086-238A6CEBC7F8.jpeg.a4d7b156e93d5945823373f447d3bd34.jpeg

• Like 1