AURktman

1960 Pontiac Bonneville (Maude)

On 6/30/2018 at 3:50 PM, GARY F said:

If you look up POCI and join, plenty of help and parts and service.  All pontiac club and mag. I have been a member for 22 yrs.

Just talked to Booster Dewey, I will get it boxed up and headed his way this weekend.  I've been a member of POCI for almost 2 years now, but never got on the forums.  I registered about a week ago, but they still haven't approved my forum posting ability to I'm relegated to just reading.  

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:56 AM, AURktman said:

I was looking in a catalog and found this, I wonder if this is the decal that goes on the spot on the radiator cover.

GBC1730-lrg.jpg?v=11820131155

This decal is going on the oil filter canister.

2 hours ago, Roger Zimmermann said:

This decal is going on the oil filter canister.

I was pretty sure of that, but the square nature of the sticker was the only factory sticker that matched in shape.  I wonder if it was a decal placed by the dealership / service center that Hugh scraped off.  Is there anything that went there other than the Caution sticker?  

9DCFCC03-EA95-4504-B24A-4B95E4DCDDAD.jpeg

2FB3A871-40D1-4559-9418-8E819FF2C9C0.jpeg

38D131BA-0D0F-40E3-BAAC-82F9507BA7C4.jpeg

B5EBEBE7-32C3-4B3B-83DF-D6CAFACEB02F.jpeg

Edited by AURktman
Resizing photos (see edit history)

I started before Christmas on the weatherstripping replacement.  I started with the trunk and that went well with plenty of material to allow for trimming.  Then I moved on to the roof rail weatherstrip.  I aligned the new seal to the old one before I removed it.  It was a little awkward to determine if everything aligned where the curved edge of the windshield met the door, but it eyeballed ok.  I then removed the old one and started placing the new one in the appropriate push pin holes and that is where things went awry.   The area in blue was about 1 inch too long from the molded corner at the intersection of the straight piece into the horizontal (blue area) and it was 1 inch too short from that point along the horizontal to the green area.  None of the pins lined up, it was truly aggravating. What I will have to do is trim the 1 inch extra on the vertical in the rear and add it in somehow to the center horizontal section.  I think a fresh tube of weatherstrip adhesive will be my best friend.  

Anyone else have this problem? 

750765225_InkedMaudeside_LI.thumb.jpg.4b5912e50b8e57bc1574ba5492a7caee.jpg

You will find a small amount of windshield urethane will hold a gasket in place better than any window gasket adhesive. Only use a small amount and don’t get it anywhere you don’t want it. Use rubber gloves as once it’s on bare skin, it’s there until the skin is gone.

On 6/30/2018 at 4:27 PM, AURktman said:

Did that not too long ago.  It seems as though there a ton of part for pre-58 and post 61 Bonnevilles.  59/60 are the red headed stepchildren sometimes.  That’s like my 57 Chevy sport sedan, so few specific parts are made for it. 

59/60 GM cars, no matter the brand, had selling issues.  Tough time for GM.  I have the same issue with my Buick.    Love your car and the story.

Thanks Bill!   I am absolutely torn on the notion of how to proceed on the restoration because of the history behind it.  I want to repair and make it as nice as possible, but at the same time I want to keep it as original as possible because it is only original once.  I'm only doing critical things to make it drivable and keep it sealed up (new weatherstripping).  I had rain coming in when I go caught out in a storm on the way home from a show.  

I think that is a good plan.  My 60 Electra is mainly original with just a little over 50 K miles.  I have been down the full 100 point restoration trail once and I wont do it again.

I like to drive my car and keep it running good. I had to replace the interior because after 50 + years in the Texas sun, it was torn and rotting away.

Keep up the good work.  I love the flat tops.

AURktman, I owned a 1960 Ventura 2 door hardtop with factory trips. The 60 Pontiacs are great cars. Just get it to where you feel comfortable with it.  Once you start driving it on a regular basis,  you will be hooked. Great road cars. John

On 7/1/2018 at 6:10 PM, AURktman said:

Some of the pieces are the same, but the taillights and side trim are slightly different.  The headlight trim is the same I believe.  I did find a pair in good shape, but they were asking $500 for the pair on eBay, I can get mine straightened and polished for less than that.  I would like to find some donor sheet metal for the front fenders where they are rusted next to the hood.  Those fenders should be identical through the three models.  

Show me the Doner Metal you would need ..... I have at least 1 cutable '60 Fender & 1 '59 

I stripped A '60 Catalina wagon for parts for my '60 ....then got a running '60 & another Parts wagon.

Also have 2 4dr post sedans & a '59 Bonneville Wagon for parts ................. But with all that .. No Wiper motors

1960 Catalina 1.png

1960 Catalina 2.jpg

Edited by DE SOTO (see edit history)

De Soto, it would be circled in red. It’s the area that the fenders meet the radiator support. 

A40A2535-169A-49D9-A118-44670C105251.jpeg