1960 Pontiac Bonneville (Maude)

This is my 1960 Pontiac Bonneville sport sedan that has been passed down and has been in the family since new.  It was purchased new by my Great-great Uncle Hugh Woodford in Park Rapids, MN in June or July 1960.  They drove out to see my grandfather and my father rode in this car when it was new and he was 14 years old.  When Hugh passed in 1968, my G-G Aunt Maude (and namesake of the car) drove it until she passed in 1981.  It went to my grandfather in Cheyenne and was stored under a car cover for a decade and in a closed garage for the next 25 years.  He passed in 2010, but the car stayed until I could pick it up in August 2016.  I have only done what repairs are necessary to get it drivable.  Now for the restoration part.

I am not looking to restore the car to showroom new, rather I am looking to restore it just enough to bring back some of the dazzle of its original shine, make everything fully functional, and repair the rust damage (just gotta love the MN winters.)  I want to keep the car as original as possible as it has a nearly perfect interior and the paint is original except where some rust repair had been done including the front fenders behind the tires and the front of the rockers.  The gray primer is where I started restoring it as a kid 30 years ago.  

What needs replacement / repair:

1. Power brake booster.  Where can I get this rebuilt?  I have always bought aftermarket (like on my 57 Chevy) so getting one restored is new to me. 

2. Restore headlight bezels.  Both are pranged pretty badly from my G-G Aunt Maude driving like it was a full contact sport.  

3. Pot metal inserts on the sides restored / replated (3 on each side along the quarter panel trim)

4. New heater core / repaired heater core.  This one decided to give up the ghost while on her initial drive about 3 miles from home. 

5.  Rebuild the transmission (Turbo-hydromatic).  No one local that does transmission will touch it.  I have a rebuild kit, but no one in Alabama / Georgia apparently has the know-how to do this one.  

6.  Rebuild the motor.  It has 86,500 miles on it, but it has a touch of a rod knock and it hasn't been opened up since new.  

7.  Front brakes.  I can't find anyone that has the new front brake drums.  The rear are easy to find, not the fronts though.  

8.  Windshield wiper motor doesn't work.  I've checked fuses and put a new switch in, but no help.  I also need the chrome push pin that is inserted in the wiper knob that activated the windshield washers.  That is missing.  

My wife generally dislikes old cars (well, at least has little to no interest in them) but she absolutely loves "Maude."  She says its her "Mad Men" car.  

In subsequent posts I will describe the dents / damage to the car as I have been told where all of them came from. 

Maude and Hugh Woodford (Original owners and my G-G Aunt and Uncle).  Unknown relation to the dog, clearly a cousin that is at least 2-3 times removed (or adopted).  

HughMaude1.jpg.a58d3e56b61d60536ca5955032a3ad59.jpg

Original factory window sticker.  It gives me clear knowledge of what was correct to the car.

1006597011_MaudeWindowSticker.thumb.jpg.fa19716d44b05b27c5b91dadc84e694e.jpg

Hugh and "Maude" in Wyoming in fall of 62 (photos developed later)

1244847662_HughMaude2001.jpg.0728f79efacdbece74f58199d58e882a.jpg

Current condition of interior.  The towels protect again that Alabama sun when I pull it outside.  I have since put a green console / cupholder in that matches the interior.  The gray one is for my 57 Chevy.

882699980_Maude7.thumb.JPG.16e6e7974a7f00c6b35e59c968a8a2ff.JPG

Maude took a 1st place trophy in the Unrestored class at our local car show in Auburn, Alabama.  

1267731899_Maude1stplace.thumb.JPG.d3da42dbd67f4f977395950033ec5ba1.JPG

Maude 2.jpeg

Maude 1.jpeg

• Like 9

As for the dents. If you notice the divits on the nose of the hood, those came from G-G Aunt Maude.  Her way of making sure the car was completely in the garage was to actually bump the wall.  The front bumper is also slightly pushed in (another thing I want to fix) from the same thing. The dent on the driver's fender is from the time she was backing out of some place in Des Moines, IA and was not looking where the front was going.  She tagged a dumpster while looking over her shoulder and turning.  There is a scrape and dent on the passenger side (photo below).  That came from the garage while she was parking it.  Either the dumpster or garage swipe was the last straw before her kids made her park it.  In the photo below is the original dealer sticker for McGrane-Enfield Motors (I made a post in the Memorabilia section about it) and I am trying to get a new one made.  The spare tire in the car is original.  It is date coded (from what I can tell) to November 1959.  No way I would ever use it, but its all there.  It even has a box of Christmas-themed Kleenex that came with the car.  (Car has tissue dispenser).  

2050397930_Maude8.thumb.JPG.d6c7ccd740c4c46037207c73ea904ac5.JPG

1170213735_Maude11.thumb.JPG.5cb1491c8ed69e3e7f7b89a4deb78fe1.JPG

1623550922_Maude9.thumb.JPG.9d1659458692fcc9c65b09f64fd93ebb.JPG

• Like 2

It has some rust that I will get rid of and only do minor painting.  I want to keep the paint as much original (even with warts and all) but I hate rust.  I really hate rust.  I will use a set of 1960 Impala rocker panels to replace the rusted out sections, but I will have to fabricate some areas on the fenders that are rusted out.  (See photo below).  I have to replace all 4 corners in the trunk (of course) and get the bumpers fixed and rechromed (a couple of rust holes in both bumpers).    I will leave many of the minor dings and scratches as that keeps it originality and were put there by Maude (Hugh was a fanatic about keeping a car pristine, wasn't him banging it around).  

756324669_Maude13.thumb.JPG.79c1eb90581118e70a2c56fa48788c32.JPG

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pacerman said:

A vendor named Booster Dewey can rebuild you brake booster I believe.

They did mine for my 1961 Mercury Meteor.  I couldn't find a replacement so rebuilding it was my only option.  Great communication and workmanship.  They're in Oregon.

Power Brake Booster Exchange Inc.

4335 SE 63rd Ave. - Portland, OR 97206

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Laughing Coyote said:

They did mine for my 1961 Mercury Meteor.  I couldn't find a replacement so rebuilding it was my only option.  Great communication and workmanship.  They're in Oregon.

Power Brake Booster Exchange Inc.

4335 SE 63rd Ave. - Portland, OR 97206

Thanks guys, I will give him a call Monday morning.  

Thanks Paul!  I am working on the front brake cylinders and drums.  I pulled the driver's side off and it has three part bearings, Inner race, ball bearings in a cage, and outer race.  I looked on Rock Auto and the bearings they have are one piece.  The drum is pretty scored and worn, I think it is just time for new drums and bearings. 

IMG_2515.thumb.JPG.53194ee86de9a83227a97326f41a9c01.JPG

A washer tank that has survived.  I believe it to be original, but not certain.  If it isn't, it was installed prior to 1981.  

IMG_2507.thumb.JPG.3286053c68d521ee18c5c39e2fb6ed3f.JPG

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, GARY F said:

I second for booster dewey..   If you look up POCI and join, plenty of help and parts and service.  All pontiac club and mag. I have been a member for 22 yrs.

Did that not too long ago.  It seems as though there a ton of part for pre-58 and post 61 Bonnevilles.  59/60 are the red headed stepchildren sometimes.  That’s like my 57 Chevy sport sedan, so few specific parts are made for it. 

For a booster rebuild I used these guys.  They provided excellent communication, good turnaround time and quality service at reasonable pricing.  ==>  http://brakematerialsandparts.webs.com/boosterrebuilding.htm

I wonder if parts from other GM makes might work for you?  The headlight bezels look a lot like those used by Oldsmobile that year.

The interior is indeed, pretty darn sharp.  This will be a great project!

As suggested joining the POCI ==>  https://www.poci.org/ will yield access to a lot of info and resources. 

Also, there is a section here on the forum focused on Pontiac.  ==> http://forums.aaca.org/forum/47-pontiac-oakland/ 

Edited by D Yaros (see edit history)

2 hours ago, D Yaros said:

For a booster rebuild I used these guys.  They provided excellent communication, good turnaround time and quality service at reasonable pricing.  ==>  http://brakematerialsandparts.webs.com/boosterrebuilding.htm

I wonder if parts from other GM makes might work for you?  The headlight bezels look a lot like those used by Oldsmobile that year.

I looked at the 60 Cadillac wiper motor and it looks identical. The 65-67 Corvette wiper motor also look identical, that one has me baffled.  I know the Chevy weatherstripping and rocker panels will work fine, they make most of the lenses.  I actually have one of the original T3 headlights in it.  That was a surprise.  I would eventually like to find 3 more.  

Whatever it it takes to get the wiper motor working, I hate not having wipers. 

More photos of the interior and engine compartment.  I was wondering what decal was on the radiator cover, you can see the square outline of it on the right center of the cover where it was scraped off.  I assume it was either an oil filter decal or coolant decal.  I would like to find another to put back on.  The firewall marking are "IFE" to the right of the heater box, and "B 12714".  Has anyone decoded these marks?  I've signed up for the forums over at POCI, but it takes a while to get authorization to post.  

189922348_Msaude14.thumb.JPG.8c0e1ca86518ce9349fcc00e2f67b326.JPG

1758309453_Maude5.thumb.JPG.a54ab5f524514d2c0e85c7a8988e699b.JPG

1102937706_Maude16B.thumb.JPG.6c3dd0620325db1e98b616893f8e5dad.JPG

1048850078_Maude1512714.thumb.JPG.783cecdd94e110069843925ef1b9b8b3.JPG

801717654_Maude14.thumb.JPG.b1dea36a1f0cf1e5c031257dd9782acf.JPG

21 hours ago, AURktman said:

I actually have one of the original T3 headlights in it.  That was a surprise.  I would eventually like to find 3 more.  

Whatever it it takes to get the wiper motor working, I hate not having wipers. 

T3 lamps are found for sale on ebay.  However, I would caution you that my experience is that old headlights, while they do work, are not very bright.

You can get new, correct T3 lamps, albeit at a price, here ==>  https://www.lectriclimited.com/light-bulb-and-fuse-flasher-sets/sealed-beam-sets/sealed-beam-set-87600 

2 hours ago, D Yaros said:

T3 lamps are found for sale on ebay.  However, I would caution you that my experience is that old headlights, while they do work, are not very bright.

You can get new, correct T3 lamps, albeit at a price, here ==>  https://www.lectriclimited.com/light-bulb-and-fuse-flasher-sets/sealed-beam-sets/sealed-beam-set-87600 

I would like them, but not yet at that price.  Maybe when its close to being finished.  I do want bright headlights, what are the best bang for the buck?  

I was looking in a catalog and found this, I wonder if this is the decal that goes on the spot on the radiator cover. Not sure why that decal is bugging me so much, I have about 250 other things that are significantly higher priority than that silly sticker.   There is a long sticker that goes vertical in the center.  I've also figured out I'm missing the fan shroud.  Time to go on a treasure hunt nationwide.  

GBC1730-lrg.jpg?v=11820131155

20 minutes ago, Laughing Coyote said:

Also the 1960 Ventura and Catalina looks like they have the same body style as yours.  You could do searches for your trim pieces under those names as well.

Some of the pieces are the same, but the taillights and side trim are slightly different.  The headlight trim is the same I believe.  I did find a pair in good shape, but they were asking $500 for the pair on eBay, I can get mine straightened and polished for less than that.  I would like to find some donor sheet metal for the front fenders where they are rusted next to the hood.  Those fenders should be identical through the three models.  

38 minutes ago, Laughing Coyote said:

Check this out.  I found this one on CL and has a picture of the long sticker your looking for.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/d/1960-pontiac-bonneville/6589045851.html

That is a gorgeous car!  Thank you for the link! 

I found this photo browsing the Mecum listings, it has the sticker as well.  I found it on Jegs' website but its listed for a 61.  It should be correct though.  Thanks!

161545_Engine_Web.jpg

Edited by AURktman
Add info (see edit history)

21 hours ago, AURktman said:

I would like them, but not yet at that price.  Maybe when its close to being finished.  I do want bright headlights, what are the best bang for the buck?  

I was looking in a catalog and found this, I wonder if this is the decal that goes on the spot on the radiator cover. Not sure why that decal is bugging me so much, I have about 250 other things that are significantly higher priority than that silly sticker.   There is a long sticker that goes vertical in the center.  I've also figured out I'm missing the fan shroud.  Time to go on a treasure hunt nationwide.  

GBC1730-lrg.jpg?v=11820131155

Eldon, any modern day replacement headlight will be an improvement over the 50 + year old ones.

I see someone else has provided a pic of the long, narrow, rectangular CAUTION sticker that goes on the middle of the radiator bracket.  I seriously doubt that there would be an oil related decal from the factory in the spot you indicate; though the shape is indeed similar.

52 minutes ago, D Yaros said:

Eldon, any modern day replacement headlight will be an improvement over the 50 + year old ones.

I see someone else has provided a pic of the long, narrow, rectangular CAUTION sticker that goes on the middle of the radiator bracket.  I seriously doubt that there would be an oil related decal from the factory in the spot you indicate; though the shape is indeed similar.

I’ve been searching for a pic of an unrestored original engine compartment. Mine is very close to original, but missing stickers.  I want to make sure anything I do is done correctly.  

First, try Kurt  Kelsey, 641-648-9086,   next Franks Pontiac Parts  760-361 3242,  next ,order a catalog from Ames Performance  800-421-2637,   next  Steve Barcak  480-899-7873  for start on your search

I spoke to Frank a while back and he said he didn't have any of that trim.  I've sent Steve an e-mail and ordered the Ames catalog.  I will call Kurt this afternoon.  Thanks!

On 6/30/2018 at 3:50 PM, GARY F said:

If you look up POCI and join, plenty of help and parts and service.  All pontiac club and mag. I have been a member for 22 yrs.

Just talked to Booster Dewey, I will get it boxed up and headed his way this weekend.  I've been a member of POCI for almost 2 years now, but never got on the forums.  I registered about a week ago, but they still haven't approved my forum posting ability to I'm relegated to just reading.  

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Roger Zimmermann said:

This decal is going on the oil filter canister.

I was pretty sure of that, but the square nature of the sticker was the only factory sticker that matched in shape.  I wonder if it was a decal placed by the dealership / service center that Hugh scraped off.  Is there anything that went there other than the Caution sticker?  

9DCFCC03-EA95-4504-B24A-4B95E4DCDDAD.jpeg

2FB3A871-40D1-4559-9418-8E819FF2C9C0.jpeg

38D131BA-0D0F-40E3-BAAC-82F9507BA7C4.jpeg

B5EBEBE7-32C3-4B3B-83DF-D6CAFACEB02F.jpeg

Edited by AURktman
Resizing photos (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I started before Christmas on the weatherstripping replacement.  I started with the trunk and that went well with plenty of material to allow for trimming.  Then I moved on to the roof rail weatherstrip.  I aligned the new seal to the old one before I removed it.  It was a little awkward to determine if everything aligned where the curved edge of the windshield met the door, but it eyeballed ok.  I then removed the old one and started placing the new one in the appropriate push pin holes and that is where things went awry.   The area in blue was about 1 inch too long from the molded corner at the intersection of the straight piece into the horizontal (blue area) and it was 1 inch too short from that point along the horizontal to the green area.  None of the pins lined up, it was truly aggravating. What I will have to do is trim the 1 inch extra on the vertical in the rear and add it in somehow to the center horizontal section.  I think a fresh tube of weatherstrip adhesive will be my best friend.  

Anyone else have this problem? 

750765225_InkedMaudeside_LI.thumb.jpg.4b5912e50b8e57bc1574ba5492a7caee.jpg

You will find a small amount of windshield urethane will hold a gasket in place better than any window gasket adhesive. Only use a small amount and don’t get it anywhere you don’t want it. Use rubber gloves as once it’s on bare skin, it’s there until the skin is gone.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2018 at 4:27 PM, AURktman said:

Did that not too long ago.  It seems as though there a ton of part for pre-58 and post 61 Bonnevilles.  59/60 are the red headed stepchildren sometimes.  That’s like my 57 Chevy sport sedan, so few specific parts are made for it. 

59/60 GM cars, no matter the brand, had selling issues.  Tough time for GM.  I have the same issue with my Buick.    Love your car and the story.

• Like 1

Thanks Bill!   I am absolutely torn on the notion of how to proceed on the restoration because of the history behind it.  I want to repair and make it as nice as possible, but at the same time I want to keep it as original as possible because it is only original once.  I'm only doing critical things to make it drivable and keep it sealed up (new weatherstripping).  I had rain coming in when I go caught out in a storm on the way home from a show.  

I think that is a good plan.  My 60 Electra is mainly original with just a little over 50 K miles.  I have been down the full 100 point restoration trail once and I wont do it again.

I like to drive my car and keep it running good. I had to replace the interior because after 50 + years in the Texas sun, it was torn and rotting away.

Keep up the good work.  I love the flat tops.

• Like 1

AURktman, I owned a 1960 Ventura 2 door hardtop with factory trips. The 60 Pontiacs are great cars. Just get it to where you feel comfortable with it.  Once you start driving it on a regular basis,  you will be hooked. Great road cars. John

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2018 at 6:10 PM, AURktman said:

Some of the pieces are the same, but the taillights and side trim are slightly different.  The headlight trim is the same I believe.  I did find a pair in good shape, but they were asking $500 for the pair on eBay, I can get mine straightened and polished for less than that.  I would like to find some donor sheet metal for the front fenders where they are rusted next to the hood.  Those fenders should be identical through the three models.  

Show me the Doner Metal you would need ..... I have at least 1 cutable '60 Fender & 1 '59 

I stripped A '60 Catalina wagon for parts for my '60 ....then got a running '60 & another Parts wagon.

Also have 2 4dr post sedans & a '59 Bonneville Wagon for parts ................. But with all that .. No Wiper motors

1960 Catalina 1.png

1960 Catalina 2.jpg

Edited by DE SOTO (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had problems with the relay on the bottom of the steering column that controls the turn signal (different thread) and finally got the new relay installed. Works perfectly!  Dash indicators, front and rear lights work, all is right in the turn signal world once again!  

I also adjusted the idle screw so it so it wouldn’t die at stoplights after it warmed up now that it is spring.  

I also swapped out the original T3 pass high beam, packaged it up, and stored it for later. New set of Wagner bulbs. 

Not a lot done, but it keeps the car on the road and to car shows/meets as often as possible. 

617FA036-5890-412F-9CB4-746A69DE73BC.jpeg

F5572E4C-592F-4BF2-AFF0-90A60FF8EDAD.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Not much progress on my Pontiac, but I've run in to a few glitches (maybe).  I am still trying to get my wiper problem fixed and I've gotten a new wiper motor and switch.  I can hear the washer solenoid engage but the wipers will not turn on.  The new motor was supposed to be for a 60 Pontiac, but I'm thinking it is for a Chevy as it has an extra plug (see photo 1 below) above the main harness.  This is not there on my original.  My used but new to me 2 speed switch works fine from testing, but no luck on getting the wipers to work.  I've cleaned the ground strap where it meets the firewall and I've put in a new fuse in the fuse block.  Only thing left is the wiring.  Does anyone make a dash / engine compartment harness for the 60 Pontiac?  

Next was the voltage regulator.  I like to keep components such as that on hand just in case.  I bought one that was newer than 1960, but still in the 70's or 80's.  Now, if you look at the back, its a bit different.  I'm just a bit worried that if I plug this all together I will end up with an electrical volcano.  (photo 2 and 3)

As for what I have succeeded fully in is purchasing a set of replacement rocker panels for her.  Woohoo!  

IMG_4674.thumb.JPG.c7caa8cc3d47a6b6b042d536c940b033.JPG        IMG_4675.thumb.JPG.54d84c2bfcd7834b65b8fad5c335df66.JPG     IMG_4678.thumb.JPG.e50907b96fecfbafd70fdae5a67a7b7e.JPG     58533343023__14BE0900-F299-4012-A31F-D8533459DD65.thumb.JPG.22d779091f2abc648c7c8d6efb5b0812.JPG   

• Like 1