Steve-V

1940 Buick Century Convertible *Factory* Dual Side Mounts

there was an original black Century conv coupe here on long Island for decades ( no sidemounted tires)  owned by a friend who bought it from the original owner that lived  in Oyster Bay. He eventually sold the car  . that 320 cu in engine used by Buick in 1940 was amazing. I have a 1940 Roadmaster conv sedan (uses the same engine as the Century) and the car is very fast , but no matter how fast you go there is no sensation of speed.  I love the car , and I bought it in California by word of mouth and friends went to look at it for me, on its way east to my home here on long island I had it checked over and sorted by Doug Seybold in Ohio.  My car was at one time owned by the Hell's Angels and used by them to haul their motor cycles in the rear seat area.  Had a great cosmetic restoration in 1972 and engine is pretty much original not restored with the exception of perhaps a valve job at some point. A no rust ever car. Join the BCA if you own a Buick.

• Like 2

I think Barney Breeze of Indiana had a 1940 Century Convertible with sidemounts.  I think his son Tom still owns it.  

People just don't seem to understand what excellent cars pre-war Buicks are. They poo-pooh them as if they're something weird. Almost everyone I know who has driven a Buick with a 320 in it has ended up owning one, and those who sell them always regret it. This Century convertible is arguably the best of them all--fast, easy to handle, good brakes, comfortable ride, and oh so much power. I've already told the story about how my Limited limousine humiliated a '41 Packard (with overdrive) and how angry that guy got about it--this Century is 600 pounds lighter with essentially the same engine (the dual carbs are more cosmetic than functional anyway) and better gears for high-speed cruising. Very few cars made before 1950 can touch this Buick in the real world.

If you can afford this car and you're looking at late pre-war convertible Packards or Lincolns or Cadillacs because you don't want to own "just" a Buick, you're making a HUGE mistake. I guarantee this car drives better than any of them. If you don't mind not being in the CCCA (which is really a non-issue these days) then this is the car to own. 

And sidemounts, no less!

Yeah, this is the one.