kgreen

1940 76C Reconstruct

Nice work Matt.  What are you using for reference material?

1 hour ago, kgreen said:

Nice work Matt.  What are you using for reference material?

The engine illustration  was from the shop manual and there is some detail about the fuel line in there. Will you run a new steel or brass fuel line yourself?

2 minutes ago, 1940Super said:

The engine illustration  was from the shop manual and there is some detail about the fuel line in there. Will you run a new steel or brass fuel line yourself?

Yes, I will want to run a new steel line similar to initial manufacture.  I hadn't looked for the replacement section of the fuel line yet as I am not as far into the work as you are.  From this discussion, I would consider having a hydraulic shop fabricate the crimped rubber to steel line then I would bend it to fit.  I'm not sure if I could beat the roughly $20 cost from Cars, but I wouldn't be too far off.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, kgreen said:

Yes, I will want to run a new steel line similar to initial manufacture.  I hadn't looked for the replacement section of the fuel line yet as I am not as far into the work as you are.  From this discussion, I would consider having a hydraulic shop fabricate the crimped rubber to steel line then I would bend it to fit.  I'm not sure if I could beat the roughly $20 cost from Cars, but I wouldn't be too far off.

If i knew the detail of the hose and probably would have done the same. I'm not sure why CARS put yellow plastic on the ends either

Following you guys with interest , amazing projects with the  diversity of knowledge and skills you have  ,going to be a couple of amazing cars too. Cheers

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, 1940Super said:

Ken, Are the original exhaust brackets still on the chassis?

Yes, but very rusty, I've since come across the ones that go before and aft of the muffler, but not the rear most hanger.  I've kept the rust ones as a pattern.  Need photos and measurements?

I have totally stripped the chassis of everything but the two shipping brackets located on the frame ahead of the rear axle.  With great reluctance, I disposed of the frame.  I also created a photo log of every piece that I removed and would be glad to share that with you.  The photo log shows placement of everything that remained on the car.  The car was mostly unmolested but had the typical repairs required for wear.

Edited by kgreen (see edit history)
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, kgreen said:

Yes, but very rusty, I've since come across the ones that go before and aft of the muffler, but not the rear most hanger.  I've kept the rust ones as a pattern.  Need photos and measurements?

I have totally stripped the chassis of everything but the two shipping brackets located on the frame ahead of the rear axle.  With great reluctance, I disposed of the frame.  I also created a photo log of every piece that I removed and would be glad to share that with you.  The photo log shows placement of everything that remained on the car.  The car was mostly unmolested but had the typical repairs required for wear.

I have 2 original muffler brackets but I am missing 2. I want to remake what's missing but I need to know what they look like and measurements. I bought the muffler clamps with the rubber insulation from CARS. They are not an exact reproduction but probably about as close as you'll get unless a set of NOS ones come up. I also bought the 2 rear tailpipe hangers. They dont sell 1940 models for some reason so I just bought the longest bracket thinking i can cut it shorter if needed. I think the 50 and 70s series are the same when when it comes to the exhaust but have you had a look in the shop manual at the details? I believe they have labelled 40 and 60 series when it's actually showingn the details of the 50 and 70 series and vice versa for what they labelled the 50 and 70. Would you agree?

Did you look at the hangers that Bob's Automobilia  sells? Looks like a wider variety.

On 1/11/2019 at 6:34 AM, kingrudy said:

Did you look at the hangers that Bob's Automobilia  sells? Looks like a wider variety.

They both have the same except Bob's may run out soon because I wanted the pipe clamps but they didn't have any left, he said the company who were making them sold the machinery

• Like 1