Final Plea For Upholstry Help

Taylormade

I hate it when I do something stupid like this.  A few months ago someone posted a website that sold fabric hidem welting.  This was somewhere on a topic I can’t for the life of me remember.  It listed different fabric options in various length rolls.  I had the web site saved, but, as usual, it disappeared and is lost in the ozone.  I’ve tried the search, tried to find/remember the original topic, all with no luck.

LeBarron-Bonney is out of dark brown hidem and have no idea when they will have it again - the usual “we have to have the mill run a new batch of material”  excuse.  If anyone can remember the post I’m talking about, or, if you posted it, please help me out here.  Thanks!

On one of your topics, Friartuck gave a company who will make it from your material. Is that what you are looking for?

I remember a post when someone put up lots of hidem designs, some barely automotive. Is that what you are after?

I think Trimacar also named a company making hidem on demand.

Someone also mentioned "lcars" website. Looking again, they are all the same!

http://lcars.com/pages/upholstery.php

I just searched for "hidem", Everywhere, and found them. Often "welt" was used with "hidem".

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

4 hours ago, sligermachine said:

Is Trimacar on vacation ?? 

I wish!  I didn't chime in because I don't know where to get fabric hidem.  The place that makes custom hidem and wireon and such might be able to help, but I've only seen them do leather, one would think they could do fabric too but I don't know that for a fact.

Cory Cook

c/o L'Cars

110 West Poplar Ave.

Cameron, Wi 54822

His cell phone is 715-520-3776

They used hidem on the top of the front seat to hide the area where the back seat cushion is tacked to the seat frame.

And  thanks everyone for the leads, but these are all vinyl hidem, which is very easy to find.  I’m looking for hidem made with wool broadcloth that would match (come close) to my medium brown interior.

Hmmm. I always thought the seat back was made as a sort of bag and the seat put into it and the fabric was tacked under the bottom. The seam across the top was either just that or had a rope welt (covered in the seat fabric) sewn into it. Hidem was not used in Dodge Brothers 8s. I have an original seat in the shed I will look at later.

Mine (restored 1992 by the PO who was a stickler for originality) has a sort of puffed up double seam, with some packing in it. It looks very nice. I can't see any tacks at all. Maybe it was tacked underneath and the back then folded down over the seam and tacked at the bottom.

Spinnyhill, here are some shots of my friend Phil Kennedy's original 32DL front seat.  You can see the hidem running along the top edge of the seat all the way down to the floor.  The last shot probably shows it the best.  You can separate the two sides and see tacks below.

IMG_8923.thumb.jpeg.1285e9839f4504cd2818f5d87d5f01aa.jpeg

IMG_8911.thumb.jpeg.68e3203c77d3f3beedcb2151973b4cd1.jpeg

IMG_8908.thumb.jpeg.e2f8d118adb44a6423a0b9a772cf045e.jpeg

It looks like wire-on to me.  As Bloo asks, that would have the zig zag wire.  If that's the case, you can make your own with vinyl wire-on and put the fabric over the top, it'll be a little bulkier but I've done that before.  You used to be able to find just the base wire-on, which you could add any fabric or leather to, but I haven't seen that in a while....

A "double welt cord" would probably not close up as tight as the photos seem to indicate. On the top of the seatback it looks like one cord is significantly bigger than the other. Along the top edge of the arm, not so much, it looks like not as much difference in size.

That’s an optical illusion because you're Looking down on the cord from an angle.  It’s consistently the same size on both sides.  Now that I look at the photos, it does look like double welt cord more than hidem.

That definitely looks like wire-on to me as it is the modern replacement for cloth covered cane coping that I find on every original GM seat I’ve reupholstered. Now that you can’t find what you’re looking for anywhere help support what LeBaron Bonney told you? I work with them quite frequently and live very close so pick up most the interiors that I install. They are having an incredibly hard time getting the supplies they need for our cars these days. Sometimes it takes months for them to get a fabric that used to be readily in stock years past. Just recently they had delivered an interior for a AACA member doing a restoration thread hear on the forum that had a fading/color change issue. They are replacing the effected pieces even though it’s not their fault but the last I knew they were still waiting on the new fabric from the manufacturer. The members whole restoration is being held up by his upholstery and what seems to be LBs doing is really the manufacturer of the material holding it all up. There’s just not a big call for pre war fabric anymore.

I wasn’t knocking what LeBaron Bonney told me, I have no doubt they can’t get the cloth I need at the moment.  I’m going to check in with my buddy Phil Kennedy and see if he can tell what’s on his all original front seat.  After this discussion, I don’t think it’s hidem.  Probably wire-on or double welt.

Lately I've been using welt cord from Great Lakes and it appears they carry twin cordage.

http://greatlakescordage.com/braided-welt-cord/twin-welt/ 

They do sell by the yard, no need to purchase an entire spool for a one time project.

Since I use a Juki 241 walking foot machine which is a Singer 111W based machine, I get my feet attachments from either E-bay or Cutex Sewing Supplies. The foot showed in the Sail Rite video is likely unique to their type machine.

Edited by Friartuck (see edit history)