1935 buick S.40 HELP!!!

35buickakaBelle

I finally got my buick running again (yes!!!!). So i worked on it for a while more like a year (back burner) lol. It was overheating so i change the spark plugs, wires, belt, ignition coil, cap rotor. I found a NOS water jacket cover that i needed because original one had a hole in the back. Cleaned out a lot of gunk inside the passages where jacket cover was. Took down the oil pan as well remove old oil gunk. i installed a thermostat that  it didn't have once i remove the thermostat housing. installed New hoses flushed out radiator. Im still running hot temperatures reaching close to 212f. This was while driving in the streets around the block about 20min. Anyone know a solution to keep it lower? or this buick just run hot. Thanks in advance

Hello, you probably all ready checked the timing also spark advance if those are off may cause engine to run hot .I have a 49 the spark advance was hanging up causing the timing to be erratic.hope this helps .Last year at the Buick meet in Allentown I was surprised at the number of 1935 Buick were there,attractive car.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, radiator flushing will, hopefully, clean out the sediment in the bottom tank, but not blockages in the tubes. It didn't in mine, anyway.

Is the radiator blocked? An IR thermometer on the front while the engine is running might find a cooler area = blockage.

Is the water pump in good condition?

Are the hoses in good condition?

Note this car does not just run hot. They never did when new 'else who would by one?

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

The radiator shop can clean the tubes also.  With the top and bottom tanks off, they run a rod down the tubes.   

Checking the thermostat first before pulling the radiator is a good idea.,

After not driving my 1935 90 ser. for a year it ran hot.   Before I parked it there was no problem,.    The corner radiator shop told me that it needed a new core.   I took it to another honest shop.  They cleaned the tanks and it ran fine.    For major surgery get a second opinion.