Wanted Windshield wiper switch 40 President

• 3 weeks later...

Robert the picture you shared is exactly the switch I need. Robert is that switch for sale ? If not maybe Dan has now that he has a picture for reference.

I put my old one back in to fill the hole. It is not repairable it has a hole burned through it from shorting out. 

Thanks for your help guys

Jerry 

Jerry,

While Robert is looking, attached are some photos of the switches I found. 

The one on the far left is tagged as a 1940 Commander/President headlight switch and is included for reference. 

The next switch over is quite similar but has only three connections on the back, marked "Bat", "A" and "F" (see close up photo).

The others I think may also be wiper switches from other years/models that might work. 

Dan

20180726_122506_resized - Edited (1).jpg

Stude switch1.jpg

studeswitch2.jpg

Got some pictures.

The left switch in picture one and the right in picture two seem to be the wiper switch you want.

It is the only one I have and is dirty, possibly used or from laying in a bin loose for almost 80years

The other switch is a headlight switch

The difference seems to be a black plastic or bakelite back on the headlight switch with 4 contacts

and a light brown insulating material with three terminals.

Let me know if it matches your burned up switch.

I can send it to you and when it works , send a donation to the museum.

Do not toss the burned out switch .

Bob

IMG_3674.jpg

IMG_3671.jpg

Thanks Robert and Dan for the pictures and information. Yesterday I took out the switch to take pictures and mine has 4 contacts on the back. I don't think any of the ones pictured will work.

After looking at pictures let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

JerryIMG_1767.thumb.jpg.84fdb23a7f36afd8bd38a33e1cb165fa.jpgIMG_1768.thumb.jpg.ceac9b22a21f8bd3d4f6a70507c81757.jpg

Dan

In your pictures the third one from the left is 515327.

It is a wiper switch for the 1942 big cars.

The part sticking out is a circuit breaker to protect the wiring in case of a short.

Robert Kapteyn

Regarding the 1939/40 dash switches , I noticed that the original switches are made by Douglas an have a black plastic backplate and the after market switches made by

Cole Hersee are phenolic insulation.

Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 6.31.21 PM.png

Original Douglas switch

The 1942 wiper switch was either Cole Hersee or Aetna Pollak

Aetna Pollak supplied most postwar switches such as the last switch in post #6.

The switch that Jerry showed in post #8 is a Cole Hersee replacement.

Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 9.02.16 AM.png

Edited by rbk (see edit history)

Jerry were you successful getting the wiper switch from Russ?

Does anyone have a 1940 President dash out that can take pictures of the backs of different switches and their functions .

That would be a good reference for others in the future that attempt to restore one of these beautiful cars.

I have a file on my computer with over 3000 pictures of Studebaker parts from my inventory , eBay and other sources with Studebaker part numbers.If I live long enough I plan to merge these with info from this and other sites including interchange parts and parts sources. Anyone want to help with this? Anyone else working on a data base like this?

Andy Beckman from the Studebaker Museum archives has been very helpful with my research.

I am 81 years old and did not grow up with computers and know very little about them but my son helps me with computer skills.

My 12 year old grandson was so surprised to learn that there were no computers when I grew up.

With wide open eyes he blurted out "NO COMPUTERS ! "

Robert Kapteyn

Yes Robert I got a switch from Russ and now my wipers work great. Thanks for your help. I would normally check with Russ on parts but I just assumed  it would be a hard to find switch. I tried Steven Allen but he did not have one although I got a headlight switch from him for a spare and I think he has the dash light switch also. I could take a picture of the back of it if you want.

Thanks again to you and Dan for your help

Jerry  

Yes Jerry I would like to have pictures of the backs of any original Douglas switches.

When I saw your initial request I dug out several bins full of switches , many are unidentified.

I bought out 29 Studebaker dealer parts inventories many years ago to keep them from being scrapped.

Some dealer insisted keeping the drawers where the parts labels  were on and I ended up dumping everything in boxes

and lost the part numbers that way.

That is why it is important to post pictures.

Thanks 

Thank Jerry.

It looks like you received a headlight switch 

Cole Hersey made replacement switches for the 1939/40 big cars.

I believe that the original Douglas wiper switch used as original equipment  looks like the one below.

Can someone confirm that?

Can you post a picture of the back of the  wiper switch you received from Russ?

IMG_3704.thumb.jpg.5070f44e2f9ffdb1cfa3b1cc8c8cf11c.jpg

Edited by rbk (see edit history)