1963 Buick Electra 225 Convertible Power window issue

Ptf72

My windows have worked intermittently since I bought the car until recently they all stopped working all together. I took the master 4 window switch on the driver side door apart and realized the red feed wire and a few of the other connections had come off the switch back. The switch is missing the black plastic piece which holds the connector to the switch. The connections are all just clipped on and electrical taped to the switch which led to them falling off and the windows not working. I reconnected them following the wiring schematic and all of the windows work from both the master drivers door switch and each windows individual switch, except the front passenger side. I can get the front passenger side window to go up or down. I can hear a click when you try to cycle the passenger window up but nothing when it goes down. I have used a test light on both the drivers side door switch and also on the passenger side door switch both are getting power so the switches seem to be good on both sides. Is the motor bad?  Am I missing something? Next thing I should check? Just want to ask these questions before I start buying all kinds of things? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks 

Patrick

1963 Buick Electra 225 Convertible

The number one failure for anything electrical is bad and dirty connections. If the electricity cant flow easily things aint gonna work. 

How many times have we had problems from bad grounds? 

Recently had a 1960 Edsel. The front turn signals worked fine but it had no parking lights. After checking the bulbs, fuses and headlight switch it turned out the be a dirty connection where the under hood harness plugged into the firewall. Separated it, cleaned it (small wire brush) and it now works fine. 

My suggestion is to remove the passenger door panel, then separate and clean each connection. While the panel is off you can run a jumper wire to the motor and verify that is is functioning. 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)

A common problem with old power windows is chafed or broken wires in the flexible conduit where the drivers door opens. With the door panel off you can check these from inside the door. Pull on the wires one by one to see if they are intact and have a little pull back to them.

The last set of electric windows I dealt with made some slight clicks in both up and down. All of them.

All of the electric motors had locked up from being parked for many years.

These are not all that complicated motors but some cleaning and relubrication helped but I was not happy.

I found brand new motors from a well known racing supplier. I had gotten part numbers from a participant on a marque specific forum with the advice that they will bolt right up but they don't show in the application because the wiring has to be modified. 

Turned out to be cheap and easy.