Feasibility of a 68 front end on a 72?

JParsley

Hi all.   Quick question for you guys that have been all through these cars.   I’m 33, and just recently saw a boat tail 72 and fell madly in love.   I’m considering diving full into a restoration build, but one thing would make me absolutely go crazy and dive in - being able to swap out the fenders, hood, grill and bumper from a 68 onto it.  I love the front end of both models, but that combo would just be perfect to me.  I know with enough fab anything is possible, but I’m curious as to how much modification such a task would entail and how close the two are in geometry, mount locations, etc.  Thanks for any thoughts and ideas you may provide, and if it’s just a stupid idea, feel free to say that too!

2 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

Anything is possible with enough time and money but nothing is compatible between those years.  Buy one of each to satisfy your urge!!

That’s exactly the info I was after!  Didn’t know if these were similar to a Silverado or something where body panels could be reasonably easily converted.   And buying two isn’t all that bad of an idea!   Thank you for that.

• Like 1

It might be a better plan to modify the rear glass and deck of a '68 to get the Boattail effect.

Have you driven both? I had a '66 and a '68. I tried out a '71 or '72 and didn't care for it on the inside. I didn't buy it. When driving you don't see the outside lines and I like the earlier dash better. Those were the GM models with the steep angle of the sill plates. You only see them on entry and exit but they just didn't look right to me.

Externally, body cars are very well integrated designs. I always thought a '68-'69 done up with styling ques from the '50 Mercury customs would be nice, but the idea of swapping clips will kill you when everyone keeps asking if you couldn't find the right fenders. That will get old real fast.

Bernie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Perhaps Jason Z. can pull up a picture of the motorcycle that has those 63 64 grills as part of the customizing..  

That bike was at the Hemmings Concours last year and it was probably the best application of Riviera parts that I have ever seen other than on an actual Riviera.  It was so well done it looked like it came from the factory that way.  Ray put a picture of it in a Riview not long ago.   

• Like 1