1939 desoto s6 custom

jorge ojeda

Do anyone have another 1939 Desoto S6 I’m trying to put my dash together but I can’t fine the original temple so I would really appreciate if someone can give some help with that. 

I want to bring back this car to original look to me is a beauty of American history. 4D5579C9-15CC-434C-94E9-8B9F224C67C8.thumb.jpeg.78dbfa7bbf1b010bb5ad4eca97682e52.jpeg

5E7D1A15-FE34-46D9-9836-1F8685B49E8E.jpeg

3C82BB9E-DB3C-4DC2-B40B-B069A8D02696.jpeg

Hello Jorge, welcome to the forum. You should also try the p15-d24 website. A fellow on there has a 39 Desoto like yours. His name is RichHartung and he uses the forum name of 39 Desoto. Rich will be glad to help you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade or restore/repair??  If they are in good operating condition any kind of "upgrade" will not really result in a "real world" improvement. You might gain a car length or two on a 60 to -0- stop but the reality is your reaction time makes a lot more  difference than any gain in functionality. 

My guess would be that unless you have OD then your car probably won't do more than 60 and that is pushing it a bit.   Just restoring them properly and making sure you have good shoe contact, will make them perform very well.  My 48 Plymouth brakes stopped the car wonderfully when I finished completely redoing them. 

The brakes were state of the art for the time. Unlike the loose leaf brakes used in some inferior cars, they must be carefully put together and adjusted. For maximum efficiency you need to contour the brake lining to fit the drum and adjust them carefully. This is the major adjustment and is only done when you reline the brakes or take them apart. After that you do a minor adjustment from time to time to take up wear. For details see the repair manual.

• Like 2