1940 Running Boards

Hope I'm in the right spot for this ... I'm new here folks just found this site yesterday ... I'm also new to owning a pre-war car

I recently purchased a 1940 Buick Special .. lots of learning going on now ... The pictures below are of my car ... I bought this car 3 months ago just as you see it but as you can also see there are no running boards and the car just doesn't look complete to me without them ...... I have looked online ... I have looked in a book that I have called *Interchangeable Parts for Buick ... Olds ... Pontiac ... 1929 - 1952* ...... I have contacted running board builders but my searches have been unfruitful to find any running boards for this particular year of vehicle

I am hoping that there might be someone who can offer some assistance or maybe direction in finding a decent set of running boards ... my last option will be to make a pattern and to find a tin bender here in Las Vegas if that is the route I have to go ...... Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

I forgot ... Does anyone know of a site that can give me info on this car through the VIn number?

Thanks again

David

40 Buick Driver Side.jpeg

40 Buick Passenger Side.jpeg

Edited by hizson
misspelling (see edit history)

1939 & 1940 Buick body shell are basically the same, but wheel base is different

You will need the brackets that hold the running boards

The rubber on any used running board will be in poor condition.  New original pattern rubber may be available, but at a $$$$ price.  Otherwise ribbed generic rubber .

The best source of pre war Buick parts is Dave Tacheny in Champlin, MN 55316. He specializes in 1936-1941 Buick parts.

He is old school:- no email. The best way to contact him is to call him between 4 and 7 pm Central at 763-427 3460.

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/206688-dave-tachney/

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

I don't have a source for new running boards, but if your feeling crafty and want to waste some time trying it out and learning from my mistakes, here are 2 of the main posts in my thread from when I was making my running boards, although there are some other posts pertaining to them sprinkled in the thread. I will be using the generic beaded  rubber mats and trimming them to fit when I get to that point. I think I have under $20 into them and that was for hardware. I also reshaped the front and rear fender facing sides after the first post

Thanks guys for the replies ... Sorry I'm so late responding ... I'm an over-the-road truck driver ... (its my retirement job) but stooge ... that is exactly the route I was thinking of going ...... I have some melamine sheets that will work perfect for patterns and then I'll see if I can get a tin bender to bend them for me ... I was told byu the gentleman who built the car that the running boards are called *Free Floating* and the holes for the bolts are in the frame I'll just need to find some way of mounting them .... Thanks again gentlemen and I'll keep you updated

• 2 weeks later...

I found a guy here in Las Vegas that is going to fabricate some running boards for me and he's going to make the mounts as well ... will post pics when he is finished ... thanks for the input and info I appreciate it

• Like 1

I found that Home Depot has a rubber mat product called Rubber - Cal which comes in a few different patterns and looks just like the mats used in the 30's & 40's. This product is .130" thk and comes in different lengths as it is advertised as a runner. It is for indoor & outdoor use and the cost is half or less of the mat advertised for auto use under the same name. THE POWER OF THE HOME DEPOT.

Good Luck

Al T>

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sorry it's taken so long to get back with you ... I drive truck over-the-road and only get 2 days off when I'm in town ... Do you know how much the fenders weigh so I can figure out shipping cost? I'd need to let my wife know what the cost might be and

Mr. 1939 Buick ... are those 39 running board brackets interchangeable with the 1940 Buick Special?

Thank you gentlemen ... I'll try and keep an eye for any replies ... I'm off today 10/1/18 for doctor appointments so I'll check back later