Is there a tour in southern Oregon this weekend that I am missing?

I saw two tall brass era touring cars whiz by me (whilst struggling to drive AND pull my camera out of it's case) and missed getting a shot or even an ID on them, yesterday. Does anyone know of an old car event that I am missing this weekend in southern Oregon? I checked on the Horseless Carriage site and found nothing.

What you missed seeing Kaiser is the 20 or so brass era cars that are on the Red Rock Tour. This tour started 2 weeks ago in Ketchem Idaho. They are about 1700 miles into their 2500 mile trip. How doI know all this? My son is on it with his 15 Mercer Sporting 4. He's having a great time

Here's the Mercer and some of the cars on tour

Ken

IMG_2569.JPG

IMG_2479.JPG

IMG_2574.JPG

• Like 2

I had three of those cars visit my Buick Barn on Father's Day....

On Sunday mid-morning (Father’s Day), I got a call asking for directions to my place.   At noon, a roll-back tow truck arrived and unloaded the Packard in front of my car barn.  John, the owner, drove it onto the lift in the barn so the transaxle could be disassembled and examined to find the problem.  Meanwhile, a 1912 Simplex Touring Car  and  a 1913 Rolls Royce race car arrived with what I learned was the Red Rock “pit crew” (sorry I was too busy to catch everyone’s name).  With the Packard up on the car lift, the pit crew went to work and soon found bad news; there were ball bearings in the gear lube as it drained from the transaxle.  Later a destroyed bearing was found at the very rear end of the input shaft.  And of course it was not a standard size bearing.  So the pit crew started searching The Internet for a replacement.   But because it was Sunday, they could not order the replacement until Monday morning.

The pit crew soon departed in the Rolls and Simplex, and I loaned John & Bob (the two Packard guys from PA) my 1986 GMC Caballero to drive to Astoria, OR; the next stop on their tour.  The tour was scheduled for a “lay-off day on Monday” to enjoy the day and to rest before continuing down the Oregon coast on Tuesday.  That was my kind of fun for Father's Day!  But wait, there’s more!

John & Bob called about 11:30 Monday morning and had already picked up a replacement bearing.  But it was a bit too wide to fit into the transaxle and would need to be machined to fit. They wanted a shop with a surface grinder to make the bearing thinner and a good lathe to machine a bit more room on the input shaft before the new bearing could be installed.  So I called Salmon Creek Machine (my local do-it-all machine shop) owned by a cool car guy who agreed to take care of us for this emergency repair.  They used a ceramic cutter on the lathe rather than a gritty surface grinder to cleanly machine the super hard bearing races.  Then after much discussion on how to remove the shaft from the housing, somebody had the bright idea to save time by machining it without removing it from the housing.  All went well and the machining was done in less than two hours.

The new parts fit perfectly and the re-assembly of the transaxle went smoothly.  Refilling the transaxle with SAE 250 WT gear lube took awhile because we had to transfer the viscous lube from a five gallon pail  to a 16 oz. Coca Cola bottle that would fit between the transaxle and the car body.  So Bob used the extra time between refills to fix the loose cut-out that was always open and very loud during the tour.

By 5 PM, the Packard boys from Pennsylvania were back on their way to Astoria, driving quietly in high gear again!  They were fortunate that their tour group had a lay-off day in Astoria so they could re-join the normal tour and didn’t have to take short cuts to catch up.  And yours truly has been promised a really nice dinner next time I go to the Hershey PA swap meet!

Packard on Lift.jpeg

Resized_20180617_125737.jpeg

Resized_20180617_132144.jpeg

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Years ago on a local FARTS Tour a fellow showed up from  Ohio with an enclosed trailer with a Rolls Royce logo on the side. He got out of his truck and said he finally bought a good Brass Car. I asked him what year the Model T was, he said 1909. Funny thing was it was one I'd worked on at one time and it had lived 20 minutes down the road, now it was 16+ hours away. Bob 

The Red Rock is a Brass Era progressive tour that’s not listed anywhere publicly. 

My Wife and I setup a Instagram account:

www.instagram.com/steamfins

You can see a bunch of photos of our experience so far with the Mercer. We’re about 2000 miles in and counting.

Enjoy,

Steamfins

Edited by steamfins (see edit history)