Rivman

ROA International Meet – Gettysburg PA, June 25-28, 2019

As far as Rivs go, they may becoming more popular.  BUT the ROA membership has been holding steady for a long, long time and based on the history of ROA members, west coast meets just do not draw the numbers to make it a non-losing event.  California has the most ROA members of any state in the Union but they just seem not to be proactive drivers to these kinds of events. The biggest meets take place is what I refer to as the industrial northeast.  Those guys just love to get their cars on the road and drive.  Don't ask me why.  

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 1:31 PM, RivNut said:

The attendees were so few that they didn't cover the expenses of the meets.  

As far as meets go, unfortunately the issue you mention above was the same for Overland Park last year.

Edited by Rivman (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Rivman said:

A quick note on meets …

The meets are a great time no doubt, but along with trying to hold them at a location with the right WOW factor, they have to be planned where the ROA has a decent concentration of members. As you can see from the map below New Mexico might not be the best idea. With only nine members in the state, and not a huge amount in bordering states, that location might not be a great idea.

This is how the ROA membership stands in the continental US as of January 2019.

2100671393_18-Members-Jan2019-BYSTATE-FORRAY.thumb.jpg.0e0ca0df9b4e9de74ac958f14400f398.jpg

There isn’t a really good way to make the meet rotation “fair” to every member of the ROA, they just have to be planned as fairly as possible to all of the membership. And, of course, planned in such a way that it won’t cost the association to hold it.

Just my $0.02 worth on the subject.

Sweet map. Well, and maybe we can get more joining. Probably the best value car membership out there. With proper promotion, could be excellence. Arizona looks good. Look at all them California members! Cant say we are not paying our share in dues Ed. I think we need an electoral college...joken joken.

3 hours ago, Rivman said:

A quick note on meets …

The meets are a great time no doubt, but along with trying to hold them at a location with the right WOW factor, they have to be planned where the ROA has a decent concentration of members. As you can see from the map below New Mexico might not be the best idea. With only nine members in the state, and not a huge amount in bordering states, that location might not be a great idea.

This is how the ROA membership stands in the continental US as of January 2019.

2100671393_18-Members-Jan2019-BYSTATE-FORRAY.thumb.jpg.0e0ca0df9b4e9de74ac958f14400f398.jpg

There isn’t a really good way to make the meet rotation “fair” to every member of the ROA, they just have to be planned as fairly as possible to all of the membership. And, of course, planned in such a way that it won’t cost the association to hold it.

Just my $0.02 worth on the subject.

Interesting map but the number of members in a state isn't necessarily an indicator of the success of the meet.  The meet in Lexington, Kentucky (18 members) was probably twice the size of the meet in Sacremento, CA (239 members).  In 2005, we had a rather large meet in Eureka Springs, AR (11 ROA members). In 2018, the meet in Overland Park, part of the Kansas City metropolitan area,was the week following th BCA meet in Denver and a number of members did not attend the ROA meet because of timing conflicts.  Lots of factors involved and many you can't control.  You basically pick the area which historically has done well in the past and hope to repeat.  Do the most good for the most people who chose to attend.

A silly question—does anyone attend one of these meets without a car?

1 hour ago, j3studio said:

Most definitely.  Especially the guys from Australia, Germany, Norway, South Africa, and other places on the other sides of the ponds.  Linda and I flew to Monterey and drove our Buick Verano to Colonial Williamsburg.  Some guys fly in because their car is under construction, some because they sold their Riviera but still belong.  No reason not to come just because you can't bring your car.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, j3studio said:

Sure, I’m done it. But it’s not as much fun as having a horse in the race. Then again, sometimes you can pick one up at a good price.

• Like 2

Another silly question (it's a skillset :) ) — when do most folks usually arrive? I'm reasonably local and have seen the Gettysburg attractions many times.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, j3studio said:

Another silly question (it's a skillset :) ) — when do most folks usually arrive? I'm reasonably local and have seen the Gettysburg attractions many times.

Based on my experience as a volunteer at the meet's registration desk, most attendees arrive and register the 1st early evening (3pm - 7pm) or first thing early morning the following full day of the meet.  Please book your hotel stay with the ROA's chosen host hotel so that the car club receives official credit for your room.  The club has a room quota that needs to be met.  

Edited by DShip (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Another thing to consider is registration.  If you're not registered for the entire event, you don't have access to the hospitality room. The hospitality room is where the vendors set up and where all of the week's activities take place; mornings, afternoons, and evenings.  Plus that's where the keg with the free beer resides.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, j3studio said:

Both answers above are mostly correct, however, I'll add a couple more items for your consideration ...

Arriving early is always a good thing, to visit with old friends, and/or make new ones in the ROA. And of course, seeing all the Rivieras in attendance!

For PA, several years ago, we had 60 Rivs registered on Wednesday night, and on Thursday morning, show day, we ended up with over 100+, so the arrival varies by meet. That year was a Monday thru Thursday meet.

Ed is correct about the registration, the full week registration gets you access to the hospitality room for the week where the vendors are. One thing to keep in mind, this year the hospitality room closes at 5 PM on Wednesday to allow members to tour the local area attractions. That would not be a big attraction to you, just something to keep in mind.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I am not sure if ROA folks are aware but there is a Buick car show at the AACA museum in Hershey, PA on 22 JUN 2019. This is 52 miles from the ROA Meet hosting hotel.

"11th annual Buick Show at the AACA Museum, 22 June 2019"

Event info and flyer here: https://forums.aaca.org/topic/322466-2019-mason-dixon-aaca-museum-show-june-22-2019/

Day of show registration is $15.00

2019-mason-dixon-aaca-museum-show.thumb.jpg.2f2f1004666b62a7e84dcf857986db0c.jpg
Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2019 at 10:35 AM, DShip said:

Please book your hotel stay with the ROA's chosen host hotel so that the car club receives official credit for your room.  The club has a room quota that needs to be met.  

I understand, and I booked as suggested this morning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I mailed my registration today.

Is there an email acknowledgement sent or should I just watch for the credit card charge? Just trying to keep my ducks in a row …

• Like 1

3 hours ago, j3studio said:

I mailed my registration today.

Is there an email acknowledgement sent or should I just watch for the credit card charge? Just trying to keep my ducks in a row …

I believe Ray has been sending an email that your registration was received and that you are all set.

I won't say that is for certain, but I think it is something he started a few years ago?

If you want to verify, you can always send him a message in a few days just to be sure.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rivman said:

I believe Ray has been sending an email that your registration was received and that you are all set.

I won't say that is for certain, but I think it is something he started a few years ago?

If you want to verify, you can always send him a message in a few days just to be sure.

Yes, that is correct but it may take several days

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Confirming that I received a registration acknowledgement email from Ray this morning—very reassuring.

Edited by j3studio (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thought I would post a quick reminder ...

DEADLINE to register with ROA is May 27, 2019.

A short 2 weeks left to get your registration sent in to the ROA office.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 8:41 AM, Rivman said:

Thought I would post a quick reminder ...

DEADLINE to register with ROA is May 27, 2019.

A short 2 weeks left to get your registration sent in to the ROA office.

Last reminder …

Keep in mind, pre-registering helps get the classes correct, so we can have the right number of awards for the banquet. And, it also helps with knowing what classes we will have, and how many of each we will be parking for the show. Both things being very helpful to know ahead of time.

With Monday being a holiday, it is probably too late to get it submitted by snail mail, but, if you email it to the office you can still beat the deadline.

Hope to see you there.

• Thanks 2

Will there be on site registration?  The meet is almost local for me, but scheduled for days that are problematic for me.

My schedule is normally pretty flexible, but there are some days that I simply have to be on site.

Trying to figure out how to get there for at least a day.

34 minutes ago, Zimm63 said:

Will there be on site registration?  The meet is almost local for me, but scheduled for days that are problematic for me.

My schedule is normally pretty flexible, but there are some days that I simply have to be on site.

Yes, there is on site registration.

I know registering for the show only is $25, and for the show and banquet is $50, however, I'm not sure what the fee would be if you wanted to come on a different day.

That would be something you would have to get with Ray about. 

4 hours ago, Zimm63 said:

The car show and banquet are Friday, June 28th. The 25th-27th are reserved for tours and swapping stories.

I looked at the ROA meeting venue, a direct flight into Philadelfia from my nearby airport (Bologna) has just started operations, and at the same time I was scheduling a business trip to the USA: bingo, I may be able to attend.

It surely will be a learning experience. My plan is being in Gettysburg on Wednesday night, visit the city on Thursday and the show on Friday.

I don't understand exactly the hospitality room thing: is this for ROA members only? Do you suggest to pre-register and buy a weekly pass?

Newbie's questions I guess, but I don't come often to the USA and I would like to make good use of my time at the meeting, so any help is highly appreciated. Thank you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrILO said:

I looked at the ROA meeting venue, a direct flight into Philadelfia from my nearby airport (Bologna) has just started operations, and at the same time I was scheduling a business trip to the USA: bingo, I may be able to attend.

It surely will be a learning experience. My plan is being in Gettysburg on Wednesday night, visit the city on Thursday and the show on Friday.

I don't understand exactly the hospitality room thing: is this for ROA members only? Do you suggest to pre-register and buy a weekly pass?

Newbie's questions I guess, but I don't come often to the USA and I would like to make good use of my time at the meeting, so any help is highly appreciated. Thank you.

Yes the hospitality room is mainly for ROA members "registered" for the meet, but on Friday everyone is able to shop the vendors.

If you are an ROA member and register for the week these are the benefits you receive ...

Full-week & Banquet: Includes entry to the hospitality/event room for the full week where all activities are held, including seminars, annual meeting, fun events, door prizes, and vendors. Refreshments are included all day: coffee each morning, iced tea and snacks in the afternoon and evening. In addition, hot and cold hors d’oeuvres are served on Thursday evening. Each member receives a registration bag with commemorative gifts, one car for the show, as well as the Friday night awards banquet. Only those who are registered for the full week and wear their name tag have access to the event room and vendors Tuesday through Thursday.

If you are an ROA member and just want to register for Friday, these are the benefits ...

Friday-only & Banquet: Registration entitles member & guests to enter one car in show, receive a registration bag and attend the awards banquet. Entrance to the ROA hospitality room is restricted to Friday only.

If you are not an ROA member and just want to look around at the Rivieras on show day no registration is required, and, you would be able to go into the hospitality room and shop the vendors, however, you would not be able to attend the banquet. BUT, if you want to join and register, you will be able to do all of that right there in the hospitality room when you arrive too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1