ROA International Meet – Gettysburg PA, June 25-28, 2019

Rivman

I just heard the Jul/Aug Riview is out, and next year’s meet announcement is included as usual, that means the word is out, SO, I thought I would get this posted early for those that want to get a head start on planning.

We are moving even further east for next year’s meet. Our host hotel is the Wyndham Gettysburg. The dates are June 25 - 28 (Tuesday through Friday).

2120708014_1-TOPOST-Pg35Gettysburg2019.3(2).thumb.jpg.1f7daf39f1722a9a2bb1548460e20306.jpg

Mike’s, NC68Riviera, Aqua Zephyr must have found favor, it is pictured on next year’s LOGO!

Some details have been posted to the website, as follows ...

2019 ROA International Meet
Gettysburg, PA

June 25-28, 2019
Tuesday—Friday

874980412_Photograph1029.thumb.jpg.59d8c0e1bca0545f04e4be811252898f.jpg

Photo of historic reenactment courtesy of Destination Gettysburg

Gettysburg and the surrounding fields were the site of the largest battle of the American Civil War. Although fought for only three days from July 1-3, 1863, it was known as the turning point of the war. Over 160,000 soldiers from the Union and Confederate armies met in combat with over 50,000 casualties. Total deaths exceeded 8.000 soldiers and approximately 3,000 horses. It is also the site where President Abraham Lincoln attended a ceremony on November 19th of that year to officially consecrate the grounds and delivered his Gettysburg Address.

There is so much to do and see in the town and surrounding area that with every registration confirmation I will email a long list of attractions, so you can plan your visit. You can tour the miles of historic battle fields by car, bike, horse, Segway or guided tour buses. We will announce tours in the next issue along with a registration form. Besides the battle fields there is the historic downtown with its many museums, shops and restaurants. One popular stop is the historic home of our 34th President Dwight D.  Eisenhower.

For Gettysburg we were able to schedule the meet starting on Tuesday with our car show and banquet on Friday.  We are also fortunate to be able to block rooms at our group rate for two days before and after so that you can arrive early or extent your visit into the following weekend. Since the July 4th celebration is the following week it is best to make your reservations early.

Wyndham Gettysburg

The host hotel is the Wyndham Gettysburg located at 95 Presidential Circle and our group rate is $119, single or double occupancy. This is an excellent price considering the quality and location of the hotel at the height of the season. Reservations can be made by calling 717-339-0020, pressing “3” and asking for “Riviera 2019”. For online reservations   https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/groups/hr/riviera-owners-association. If you want to extend your visit beyond the 25th—29th meet dates you must call to do so.

Registration forms will be posted soon.

Mark your calendar and make plans to join us at what should be a VERY large event.

Edited by Rivman
Info Update (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

• MrEarl pinned this topic

Randall, thanks for the shout out for The Aqua Zephyr! 

We are extremely humbled to have our Riviera featured on next year's meet artwork. We definitely will be at the meet, God willing! 

This is the original picture the artwork graphic is based on. You will note that Ray changed the front bumper vanity plate to the ROA plate! Nice touch Mr. Knott! 

IMG_4707.thumb.JPG.426fb95314f74185278110a15b09f39f.JPG

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Even though this is pinned I thought I would bump it to the top to hopefully let everyone know there is more info added.

I have added it here, and it has already been posted on the ROA website. I was told the registration form is almost ready, so it should be available soon too. 

17 hours ago, Rivman said:

Even though this is pinned I thought I would bump it to the top to hopefully let everyone know there is more info added.

I have added it here, and it has already been posted on the ROA website. I was told the registration form is almost ready, so it should be available soon too. 

Can we call the hotel directly to make room reservations or are room reservations done with the meet registration form?

Mike,

Call hotel directly per above or you can do it online with link provided

Wyndham Gettysburg

The host hotel is the Wyndham Gettysburg located at 95 Presidential Circle and our group rate is $119, single or double occupancy. This is an excellent price considering the quality and location of the hotel at the height of the season. Reservations can be made by calling 717-339-0020, pressing “3” and asking for “Riviera 2019”. For online reservations   https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/groups/hr/riviera-owners-association. If you want to extend your visit beyond the 25th—29th meet dates you must call to do so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NC68Riviera said:

Can we call the hotel directly to make room reservations or are room reservations done with the meet registration form?

Just to be clear...There are two separate processes that you will need to perform:

1. Hotel reservations are booked by you via either the hotel's web site online or by calling the hotel directly.

2. A 2019 ROA Meet Registration Form is prepared by you and submitted to the ROA office.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DShip said:

Just to be clear...There are two separate processes that you will need to perform:

1. Hotel reservations are booked by you via either the hotel's web site online or by calling the hotel directly.

2. A 2019 ROA Meet Registration Form is prepared by you and submitted to the ROA office.  

Thanks for the clarification Dave.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NC68Riviera said:

I received my 'Riview' yesterday and I was a little disappointed to see that the 2019 ROA meet registration form was not attached to it yet. :-(

It should be ready soon, just not ready to get it printed and into the current issue. I'm sure it will be on the website first, then it will be printed in the Nov/Dec issue.

It takes some time to work out all the details and then get them onto the registration form.

Not to worry, it will be available soon.

Edited by Rivman (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The registration form also includes signups for one or more tours.  Those take time to organize and get all of the registration details worked out.  There is no limit to the number of attendees so getting registered right away shouldn't be a concern.  It does help Ray know about how many cars and guests to expect though.  Usually the cutoff date for registrations is around the end of April or May.  Hotel registration is something you might want to consider whenever you can.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Jim Milewski said:

All ready have our hotel reservations and am looking forward to the show - being a newbie at a ROA show, if cars are not judged on a 400 point system, how are they judged?

The ROA uses peer judging at the show.

Each registered member/guest, the adults anyway, are given a ballot, and they vote for the Riviera they like best in each of the classes.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Are the ROA meets ever closer to the Canadian border? Like in Spokane for example? I would love to drive my Riv out to one of these meets and see everyone and see all of the other Riviera's but they always seem to be really far away! I have only been a part of the ROA for approx 1-2 years now.

Edited by unconventional63 (see edit history)

In 2002 the meet was in Klamath Falls OR but it was poorly attended. ROA has found that meets in any corner of the US do not do well because they geographically limit the directions members can come from which makes it a really long drive for a majority. Locations in north central US such as IL or WI have been successful so that's always a possibility. Last one in IL was 2015. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2019 at 8:05 AM, JZRIV said:

In 2002 the meet was in Klamath Falls OR but it was poorly attended. ROA has found that meets in any corner of the US do not do well because they geographically limit the directions members can come from which makes it a really long drive for a majority. Locations in north central US such as IL or WI have been successful so that's always a possibility. Last one in IL was 2015. 

I wonder how different it might be now with some demographics changing in the Riviera world since 2002. West Coast!

Ask anyone who was at Flagstaff in 06, Sacramento in 09,  Monterey in 12, or Reno in 17 and you'll find out that the west coast people love their car culture but they don't like to drive too far from their own garages. The attendees were so few that they didn't cover the expenses of the meets.  

25 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Ask anyone who was at Flagstaff in 06, Sacramento in 09,  Monterey in 12, or Reno in 17 and you'll find out that the west coast people love their car culture but they don't like to drive too far from their own garages. The attendees were so few that they didn't cover the expenses of the meets.  

The past is the past.

San Francisco time!

Hhehehehehe

1 hour ago, Chimera said:

The past is the past.

San Francisco time!

Hhehehehehe

It's not me you have to convince.  Our best meets are held in areas where attendees stay at the host hotel and can't go home for the night or find a Motel 6 nearby.  You have to consider the cost factor.  You would have thought that having the meet in Monterey would have inundated us with members from LA and San Francisco. Nope.

2017 is not in the past as you suggest.  

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

It's not me you have to convince.  Our best meets are held in areas where attendees stay at the host hotel and can't go home for the night or find a Motel 6 nearby.  You have to consider the cost factor.  You would have thought that having the meet in Monterey would have inundated us with members from LA and San Francisco. Nope.

2017 is not in the past as you suggest.  

For sure, your insights and points are solid.

Im just saying, its a different time now. Almost 2020 and Rivieras have picked up across the board.

I flew out to Colorado, but PA is worlds away. How about New Mexico!? Taos! Get some salt crystals and white sage while I'm there!

Its worth going to wherever it is, I just don't always have the juice.  

As far as Rivs go, they may becoming more popular.  BUT the ROA membership has been holding steady for a long, long time and based on the history of ROA members, west coast meets just do not draw the numbers to make it a non-losing event.  California has the most ROA members of any state in the Union but they just seem not to be proactive drivers to these kinds of events. The biggest meets take place is what I refer to as the industrial northeast.  Those guys just love to get their cars on the road and drive.  Don't ask me why.  

1 hour ago, Rivman said:

A quick note on meets …

The meets are a great time no doubt, but along with trying to hold them at a location with the right WOW factor, they have to be planned where the ROA has a decent concentration of members. As you can see from the map below New Mexico might not be the best idea. With only nine members in the state, and not a huge amount in bordering states, that location might not be a great idea.

This is how the ROA membership stands in the continental US as of January 2019.

2100671393_18-Members-Jan2019-BYSTATE-FORRAY.thumb.jpg.0e0ca0df9b4e9de74ac958f14400f398.jpg

There isn’t a really good way to make the meet rotation “fair” to every member of the ROA, they just have to be planned as fairly as possible to all of the membership. And, of course, planned in such a way that it won’t cost the association to hold it.

Just my $0.02 worth on the subject.

Sweet map. Well, and maybe we can get more joining. Probably the best value car membership out there. With proper promotion, could be excellence. Arizona looks good. Look at all them California members! Cant say we are not paying our share in dues Ed. I think we need an electoral college...joken joken.

3 hours ago, Rivman said:

A quick note on meets …

The meets are a great time no doubt, but along with trying to hold them at a location with the right WOW factor, they have to be planned where the ROA has a decent concentration of members. As you can see from the map below New Mexico might not be the best idea. With only nine members in the state, and not a huge amount in bordering states, that location might not be a great idea.

This is how the ROA membership stands in the continental US as of January 2019.

2100671393_18-Members-Jan2019-BYSTATE-FORRAY.thumb.jpg.0e0ca0df9b4e9de74ac958f14400f398.jpg

There isn’t a really good way to make the meet rotation “fair” to every member of the ROA, they just have to be planned as fairly as possible to all of the membership. And, of course, planned in such a way that it won’t cost the association to hold it.

Just my $0.02 worth on the subject.

Interesting map but the number of members in a state isn't necessarily an indicator of the success of the meet.  The meet in Lexington, Kentucky (18 members) was probably twice the size of the meet in Sacremento, CA (239 members).  In 2005, we had a rather large meet in Eureka Springs, AR (11 ROA members). In 2018, the meet in Overland Park, part of the Kansas City metropolitan area,was the week following th BCA meet in Denver and a number of members did not attend the ROA meet because of timing conflicts.  Lots of factors involved and many you can't control.  You basically pick the area which historically has done well in the past and hope to repeat.  Do the most good for the most people who chose to attend.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, j3studio said:

A silly question—does anyone attend one of these meets without a car?

Most definitely.  Especially the guys from Australia, Germany, Norway, South Africa, and other places on the other sides of the ponds.  Linda and I flew to Monterey and drove our Buick Verano to Colonial Williamsburg.  Some guys fly in because their car is under construction, some because they sold their Riviera but still belong.  No reason not to come just because you can't bring your car.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
58 minutes ago, j3studio said:

Another silly question (it's a skillset :) ) — when do most folks usually arrive? I'm reasonably local and have seen the Gettysburg attractions many times.

Based on my experience as a volunteer at the meet's registration desk, most attendees arrive and register the 1st early evening (3pm - 7pm) or first thing early morning the following full day of the meet.  Please book your hotel stay with the ROA's chosen host hotel so that the car club receives official credit for your room.  The club has a room quota that needs to be met.  

Edited by DShip (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Another thing to consider is registration.  If you're not registered for the entire event, you don't have access to the hospitality room. The hospitality room is where the vendors set up and where all of the week's activities take place; mornings, afternoons, and evenings.  Plus that's where the keg with the free beer resides.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, j3studio said:

Another silly question (it's a skillset :) ) — when do most folks usually arrive? I'm reasonably local and have seen the Gettysburg attractions many times.

Both answers above are mostly correct, however, I'll add a couple more items for your consideration ...

Arriving early is always a good thing, to visit with old friends, and/or make new ones in the ROA. And of course, seeing all the Rivieras in attendance!

For PA, several years ago, we had 60 Rivs registered on Wednesday night, and on Thursday morning, show day, we ended up with over 100+, so the arrival varies by meet. That year was a Monday thru Thursday meet.

Ed is correct about the registration, the full week registration gets you access to the hospitality room for the week where the vendors are. One thing to keep in mind, this year the hospitality room closes at 5 PM on Wednesday to allow members to tour the local area attractions. That would not be a big attraction to you, just something to keep in mind.

• Like 2

I am not sure if ROA folks are aware but there is a Buick car show at the AACA museum in Hershey, PA on 22 JUN 2019. This is 52 miles from the ROA Meet hosting hotel.

"11th annual Buick Show at the AACA Museum, 22 June 2019"

Event info and flyer here: https://forums.aaca.org/topic/322466-2019-mason-dixon-aaca-museum-show-june-22-2019/

Day of show registration is $15.00

2019-mason-dixon-aaca-museum-show.thumb.jpg.2f2f1004666b62a7e84dcf857986db0c.jpg
Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2019 at 10:35 AM, DShip said:

Please book your hotel stay with the ROA's chosen host hotel so that the car club receives official credit for your room.  The club has a room quota that needs to be met.  

I understand, and I booked as suggested this morning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

I mailed my registration today.

Is there an email acknowledgement sent or should I just watch for the credit card charge? Just trying to keep my ducks in a row …

• Like 1