Got an old photo of you as a kid next to a car?

Lebowski

Has anyone started a thread like this before? If not here we go. I found this old pic from 1960 recently with the family ('55 or '56) Ford in the background. I'm the 8 year old in the upper right with my siblings. My youngest brother was born in June of '60 but obviously wasn't in the photo. Another sister arrived in 1964. We lived in Waukegan, IL. Feel free to post a similar pic if you have one....

PICT0008.JPG

• Like 3

This would be 1958 and me at 10 with my Fanner Fifty six shooter. The car is a 1950 Pontiac that my Father bought and sold for a few extra bucks. He was in his 30's at the time and would buy a car like that once in a while.

The person who bought the car is still getting around town. He has been a friend of the family all his life. Every time I see him walking he mentions what a great car that Pontiac was.

007.jpg.0ef76218216595930bef890ad0181ee6.jpg

• Like 1

Me at 16 and my 1931 DB after an interview with "Action Age Magazine" in 1969. The magazine was a publication of the J.L.Hudson Company of Detroit. My oldest sister worked for them and told them about me. They came to the house at about 7:00 in the morning and I was 1/2 asleep still....my friend Kevin Burke behind me....

16 year old John.jpg

Picture 10616.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

When people ask me how I got started in this hobby (and this business), I have a photo that I can show them.

It is July 1973. I am three years old, and I am riding to the hardware store with my father in a plain white Ford Torino station wagon. In the center of our town square, there is a giant white tent and we wander in, curious. Inside, there is an antique car auction going on. My father knows nothing of old cars but sees a 1934 Ford Deluxe 4-door sedan in maroon with black fenders and puts his hand in the air, ultimately paying the princely sum of $2800 to own it. It is the first antique car he will own, but not the last. I still have the B87K license plate on my garage wall.

The photo below is me standing behind that car while it is still on the auction block as my father signs some forms. It is very loud in the tent; there's a loudspeaker not far from where I"m standing. Someone gave me the VW toy car (which was green, I remember quite specifically) and a photographer from the Cleveland Press snapped the photo. It appeared on the front page of the Sunday section the next day. I am lucky enough to have a photo of the exact moment I started in the hobby, and now, 45 years later, I am involved up to my eyeballs. What else would I have done? What other paths were there? I don't know and I don't care. This is where I want to be.

MNH-1973.jpg.101b956f4914217bdae7800c58df8509.jpg

PS: Anyone got a '34 Ford Deluxe 4-door for sale? I'd sure like to give it to my 80-year-old father as thanks for starting me on this journey.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Lebowski said:

Has anyone started a thread like this before? If not here we go. I found this old pic from 1960 recently with the family ('55 or '56) Ford in the background. I'm the 8 year old in the upper right with my siblings. My youngest brother was born in June of '60 but obviously wasn't in the photo. Another sister arrived in 1964. We lived in Waukegan, IL. Feel free to post a similar pic if you have one....

PICT0008.JPG

I too lived in Waukegan, Il in 1960.  I also have a photo of me with my Dad's 1940 Plymouth. However I will have to work up my courage to post a picture of that chubby little boy and the car.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)

2 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

I too lived in Waukegan, Il in 1960.  I also have a photo of me with my Dad's 1940 Plymouth. However I will have to work up my courage to post a picture of that chubby little boy and the car.

I saw that you still live just north of Waukegan in Zion. This house is at 1304 Hickory at the corner of Glen Flora a block from Victory Park. We lived there until 1966 when my parents decided that we needed more than one bathroom for the nine of us. We moved several blocks to Pacific Avenue between Jackson and Western to a bigger house with two bathrooms. Where did you live back then? 

This is a larger copy of my avtar.  Me on the runningboard of my Grandparents 1930 Pontiac (my daily driver since 1959) taken on Toronto Street in Winnipeg in the summer of 1947.

1947.jpg

Date late 1953 - this is me on what was part of the family transport at the time - a bicycle fitted with a Ducati Cucciolo 50cc engine - four stroke ohv. My mother's bike was something similar but with a small two stroke motor. Not long after that my parents bought a small car - a 1929 Austin 7.  In post WW2 New Zealand cars were in short supply.

bike 3 (1024x695).jpg

• Like 3

This isn't me, but it is my Son learning the finer points of brush touching on his Mother's all time favorite car.

I also have a picture of him with a bucket of soapy water next to a black 1967 Electra. I used to have that one on my desk at work and would point to him and say "This is me." Then at the car and say "This is my job".

1941.thumb.jpg.16bcef05a0cf888eeb5af4bd31febad2.jpg

Nice to have a Dad who teaches you brush touching, huh.

• Like 1

By 1960 we were using my grandfather's 1934 Buick (Series 40 with body by Holdens of Australia) for a trip away - I think this is Blenheim a town a days drive north. The push chair is for my youngest brother - probably having a nap - who will be 60 in November. The car is still in storage awaiting restoration. which is probably not an economical prospect as the wood frame body need a full rebuild.

old pics 5 - Copy (2).JPG

• Like 1

Not me but other family members. The family transport during WW2 was a 1924 Studebaker Big Six - must have been one of the least economical options. Apparently it was put up for sale when the 1934 Buick arrived circa 1946. The buyers just turned up with sledge hammers and broke it up for scrap and left the body work behind. Something my grandparents regretted for the rest of their lives. The pic was taken about 1942 - my grandmother holding the slate and my father behind her.

old pics 3a (1024x712).jpg

• Like 1

OK, I'll post one of me with my first "car". The date is June 5, 1952 (thanks, Mom, for writing on the back...). I'm almost 3 in the photo.

And yes, I still have the pedal car. Since we lived in the country, there were no sidewalks to drive on and thus it didn't get 'driven' much. Today, it looks almost exactly as it did then.

DavesStationWagon.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Lebowski said:

I saw that you still live just north of Waukegan in Zion. This house is at 1304 Hickory at the corner of Glen Flora a block from Victory Park. We lived there until 1966 when my parents decided that we needed more than one bathroom for the nine of us. We moved several blocks to Pacific Avenue between Jackson and Western to a bigger house with two bathrooms. Where did you live back then? 

708 Massena near Ridgeland and Jackson.  I lived there from 1960 till I got married in 1973 and my parents were there until about 1987.  We were neighbors.  Did you ever come to Glen Flora School in the summer time for the morning  pickup baseball games?  We might have met.

9 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

708 Massena near Ridgeland and Jackson.  I lived there from 1960 till I got married in 1973 and my parents were there until about 1987.  We were neighbors.  Did you ever come to Glen Flora School in the summer time for the morning  pickup baseball games?  We might have met.

I went to kindergarten at Glen Flora and then 8 years at St. Anastasia and then (unfortunately) 4 years at Carmel HS for Boys in Mundelein. A kid in my grade school class named Gary Berg lived at the corner of Jackson and Ridgeland. Most summers I caddied at Glen Flora CC or was out playing golf so I didn't play much baseball. I was in the Army from 1971-73 and then moved to California in 1977....

On 6/24/2018 at 7:44 AM, Lebowski said:

I went to kindergarten at Glen Flora and then 8 years at St. Anastasia and then (unfortunately) 4 years at Carmel HS for Boys in Mundelein. A kid in my grade school class named Gary Berg lived at the corner of Jackson and Ridgeland. Most summers I caddied at Glen Flora CC or was out playing golf so I didn't play much baseball. I was in the Army from 1971-73 and then moved to California in 1977....

i never got into Golf although i knew  a couple of guys who caddied at Glen Flora. Names iffy, Barry someone and Something Bakanic I think.  My Glen Fora times started in 4th grade, then off to Daniel Webster and WTHS later. No service fore, 4F(too fat to fight).

Time has dimmed names of others except those I still occasionally see. And I admit not too many of them.

this is me at the age of 18, replacing the rear leaf springs on my 1953 pontiac chieftain custom catalina, that i bought the year before, 1973, the car is still with me 45 years later. the car was my second high school car, but the first car i paid for with my own money.

charles l. coker

1953 pontiac tech advisor

tech advisor coordinator

pontiac oakland club int'l.

santa monica 1973 005.JPG

• Like 1

We have lots of pics with me and cars, that was my 1st love outside the house, ha !  Here I am in 1949, which seems to be the oldest of my pics after learning to walk, and no idea whose car, but probably my aunts, as my folks didn't get a car until 52 or 53.  I was one of those brats that named the make of every car I could see, ha !

DSCN4939.JPG

• Like 1

Friend from next door and me (the smaller one) sitting on the running board of my Dad's 1st service truck, he had a TV sales and service business in the 50s and early 60s. I'm guessing this was around 1951.

Ron-Jim-PasFirstServiceTrk.jpg

• Like 3

Not exactly a kid, though it feels that way now. This was taken in October of 1972, a few weeks before my 21st birthday. I'm the one in the front, grinning. My goal was to get an antique Rolls before I was 21 and I made it by a few weeks. We towed it home, down route 95, through the center of Providence, RI with a rope because we didn't know anyone who owned a trailer. My pal Paul Zangari is in the car and another friend, Drew Mowbray, standing by the door. Paul and his brother are still my only local "old car" friends.

The car is a '29 aluminum head PI. It didn't run because the engine was apart and had been since before I was born - which is why I could afford to buy it.

1634805584_PIOctober1972.thumb.jpg.396d8e96617c484c9805c911ae404e95.jpg

• Like 3

This is me in Jan 1943 in Beauford S.C.

1941 Chevy in background

I was born on April18 1941

my mother wrote the note on the back of picture,

I just discovered the note on the photo ten minutes ago.

I was told many years ago that we were inBeauford S.C. because my father was a dredge boat man and was dredging Paris

Island slip for USMC

You gotta admit I was pretty cute then,went downhill since

Ken

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

We did not own a car when I was a child, but we always had trucks. I trust it is OK to show one of them.

I'm leaning on our Morris Commercial, en route to a horse show in Adelaide, a trip of 250 miles. Throughout my childhood I mainly rode on the backs of trucks. With 7 kids, there was little room in the cab. This would be around 1960.

image.thumb.png.dff430293b5511228cff5ff6515c92a3.png

• Like 2

Being born in the 70's I missed all the cool cars.  First cool car I had a photo with,  would be this Duessy or Duessy II.  At that age I don't know if it was real or not.  We were on Vacation in Florida at Rosie Ogrady's Church street station.  Had to love the pre digital camera days.  Why Mom didn't have me move out from behind the pole,  I'm not sure.  That car Kind of left an impression.

Later when I finally got my first real old car a 1956 Olds I bought when I was 16. The first photo is a couple days after I got it and we took it out of the garage for photos. 

Second is a shot about a year and half later taken directly from my senior yearbook.  The third is a photo of me and my very small class from the same book.  Back when I had a full head of hair and a pompadour.  Man I miss those days. 

Last is a shot of my son trying to get him into digging old cars.  Looks like he is about ready to go cruise main drag in this one. 

IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2516.JPG

IMG_2509.JPG

• Like 1

The ONLY photos I could find of me near an old car at an early age are these two of my 1965 Studebaker Commander 'rolling parts car'.  I already owned a 1964 Daytona which I bought in 1976 in far nicer shape when it was suggested I find a winter beater to drive when salt was used on the roads.  Just by chance, this running '65 Commander came up for sale the previous fall for $100, and it proved to be a reliable winter beater with an excellent heater.  Unbeknownst to me at the time, these photos were taken in March of 1978 by a friend of mine upon leaving his place, a month before my 18th birthday, and about a month and a half before I permanently parked it and parted it out, whereby it did yield a few parts for my '64 Daytona, of which I still own after 42 years.

Craig

img20180701_19322868.jpg

img20180701_19331100.jpg

• Like 1