'35 Auburn 653

Restorer32

Was watching American Pickers last night, probably a rerun. They came across a '35 653 Phaeton, looked to be in decent original condition, needing restoration, not running, buried in a shed with junk all around it. The boys ended up buying the car,  paid $25K or so they said. Is that price at all realistic? Seemed very high to me. I sold an identical Auburn 20 years ago for far less money.

Fluff for the show........they showed another episode where it was sorted and running. I was surprised there was still an open car on a six chassis, most have been swapped out by now. The Auburn 8 is a very nice car for the money. 

I sold this 1936 654 phaeton about five years ago for somewhere around that figure. It had a fresh engine but older paint and a very dated '70s vinyl interior. Running, driving, presentable car that was a brake job and set of tires away from being a great tour car. It's running around New Zealand now (I recently saw it in a YouTube video of an Auburn tour down under). 

007.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

Fluff for the show........they showed another episode where it was sorted and running. I was surprised there was still an open car on a six chassis, most have been swapped out by now. The Auburn 8 is a very nice car for the money. 

Bingo.  Reality TV is somewhere between 95% and 100% staged.