Wireless turn signals for pre-war cars as a safety measure

1935Packard

I was watching this video from Jay Leno about his 1932 Auburn, and at the 18:00 mark Jay talks about the wireless turning signal lights he recommends for use in a pre-war car that doesn't have them as an extra safety measure.  From what he says, they stick on to the back of the car and operate wirelessly from a device in the front to signal left or right turning.  You can then move them from car to car, and there is no installation or wiring.  Here's a screenshot of what it looks like from the back.  Look right below the license plate:

992241738_ScreenShot2018-06-18at3_50_15PM.png.864e21a534555b3f099cde91de63c6c4.png

And here's Jay later in the video (at 21:20) showing the remote control he uses to operate them:

627378259_ScreenShot2018-06-18at4_00_42PM.png.eca9506628f263464aa391f37b155c03.png

I'm curious if folks here use those or other wireless turn signals, and if so your experience has been positive or negative.   I usually use bicycle lights that act as 2-way flashers on my pre-war car, and just keep them on, as a sort of warning to others to give me some extra room and watch for a turn; other than that I mostly use hand signals.  (I also have turn signals added into the original taillights, but they're not very visible on an old 6v system. I use them, but they don't do much) 

A bright and reliable turn signal that you could easily add would be useful, and I'm curious if others have tried this and (if so) how it has gone.  I found this short thread from the pre-war Buick forum last year, but otherwise I don't know of the topic being discussed elsewhere on this forum.

• Like 1

I have a set that I made a special bracket and mounted them on top of the spare tire on my Model T, which makes it more visible IMO. I could also move it between my T and the two Model A’s I had. On several occasions I have had a modern car follow me into somewhere and inquire about them. I get around 800 to 1000 miles from a set of batteries. I love them!

They were somewhat expensive (around $400) but I liked the wireless set by Smart Signal. Four magnetic lights and a controller that could be transferred from car to car. They came with rechargeable installed batteries. Unfortunately the company was bought out and the new owners evidently figured there wasn't a large enough market so they are no longer available.

Carl

When we had a new wiring harness made for one of our pre-WWII cars we had them include wiring for turn signals. 

The rear lights were already both Stop and Tail, and the front parking light sockets were replaced with a dual lead type, so they function just the same as a 1953 (and newer) style, April 1, 1953 being the date that turn signals were required for new vehicles in the USA.

The major benefit was the replacement with LED bulbs which work fine with the 6-Volt system and are not obvious until the bulb is lit - and then they are very bright.

• Like 1

Interesting thread. This is something I would like to look into for my 23 Hupp. My parents often drove it after dark, and Dad was always worried about being rear-ended by someone who was not paying attention, or expecting a slow-moving vehicle with 6-volt lighting. 

Lump, there's a cheap solution to increasing one's visibility from the rear, day or night, but no turn signal capability:  Walmart sells LED red bicycle lights for about $10 each, powered by 2 or 3 AAA batteries, with a switch to permit steady light or rapidly flashing light.  They are equipped with clips which work on trunk straps, and also have Velcro attachments.  They claim battery life of 14 hrs steady or 42 hrs flashing, but I get about half that--YMMV.

• Like 1

This could be really helpful.  Two of my cars have no signals and temporary ones could help while driving.  I like the idea of two separate ones versus just a single unit though I cant find any after doing some searches on the internet just now.

4 hours ago, Grimy said:

Lump, there's a cheap solution to increasing one's visibility from the rear, day or night, but no turn signal capability:  Walmart sells LED red bicycle lights for about $10 each, powered by 2 or 3 AAA batteries, with a switch to permit steady light or rapidly flashing light.  They are equipped with clips which work on trunk straps, and also have Velcro attachments.  They claim battery life of 14 hrs steady or 42 hrs flashing, but I get about half that--YMMV.

EXCELLENT idea, Grimy. Deeply appreciated, I assure you!  We have always relied on discreet reflectors, installed between bumper sections, etc. But the lights would be WAY better. 

Edited by lump (see edit history)

4 hours ago, kfle said:

This could be really helpful.  Two of my cars have no signals and temporary ones could help while driving.  I like the idea of two separate ones versus just a single unit though I cant find any after doing some searches on the internet just now.

They make some but they seem to only be for the back of the car and are butt ugly. An example being;  http://www.easyontaillights.com/                 I'm not sure why nobody makes an attractive five piece set (four turn signals and a controller) for antique cars.

Carl

1 minute ago, 1937-44 said:

They make some but they seem to only be for the back of the car and are butt ugly. An example being;  http://www.easyontaillights.com/                 I'm not sure why nobody makes an attractive five piece set (four turn signals and a controller) for antique cars.

Carl

Wow, those sure are ugly!  It does seem like it would be a market opportunity for some company to do this.  Thanks for the info.

Kevin

Tail light housings should be lined with Aluminum Foil, or at least painted with white paint, to reflect more light,

in addition to the use of LED bulbs

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Grimy said:

This is what I currently use, too.  I have battery-powered bicycle lights that can either stay on or flash, and that I bought from Amazon here for $15 total.  I also have some reflective tape below them.   It certainly adds visibility at night. Here's a view from the back.

1867139900_ScreenShot2018-06-20at8_50_41PM.png.b6f8baa80019e6c3fa73f7ef30b8c94f.png

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I thought readers might be interested in a follow up to this thread.  I came up with a pretty inexpensive solution that seems to work pretty well.   For $35, you can get a wireless bicycle light such as this one with rechargeable batteries. Buy two of them, and install them on the back of your car.  I have installed mine on the left and rights ends of the trunk rack. Each light has a remote control that includes going from solid to flashing and back.  I put the two remote controls next to each other wrapped around the after-market turn signal lever. Both lights are on solid by default, and the light is very visible.  When I want to turn left, I just hit the flasher light of the left remote; when I want to cancel the flasher, I hit the same button twice and it goes back to solid. Conversely, I do that with the right remote when I want to signal a right turn. 

The result is remote control turn signals that are very visible, day or night, for only $70.   It's not a perfect answer, as the bicycle lights have all sorts of other buttons I don't need.  And you need to recharge the batteries after 4-8 hours of use.  But it seems a decent and inexpensive answer to having wireless turn signals on an antique car.  And if you want to take them off for a show, it takes two minutes.  I can only imagine that as the remote control technology becomes cheaper, someone will come up with a cheap versions specifically designed to work with old cars.  

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

You do understand that Jay Leno is paid to recommend the products he recommends just like any other sales person?

Restorer, please be careful not to make statements you can't document.

It's plausible, but I don't think so, and he's not here to defend himself.

I did an article on a different type of product for which he

had made a video, and worked with him to get information on it,

and I saw no evidence of that. 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The easy product to design for old cars would be to take the bike light technology and replace the two different remote controls with an antique-style turn signal lever that when flipped turns the correct light on.  It would all be wireless and battery operated and easy to take on/off.  

I'd be surprised if Leno earned money to recommend that product because he doesn't (as far as I can tell) name the product in the video. If I were paying Jay Leno to recommend a product of mine, I would want him to say the product name as part of the pitch.

• 3 weeks later...

My experience with  "bicycle" type wireless lights is that they only work intimately and unreliably with my 1929 Studebaker President sedan with 135" wheelbase.  The cars body restricts the signal and distance from the drivers seat to the rear bumper is to far for bicycle wireless lights.   

Has anyone tried, or have experience with, the LED wireless tail and directional lights offered by www.swifttailights.com?   https://swifthitch.com/collections/swift-taillights

The are asking $488 (front & rear) or $239 (rear only) which appears to be worth it if they are reliable.  My only concern with wireless is how reliably they work with a long wheelbase sedan.  

Am a bit curious about this fascination with wireless. Just need two sets of magetic lights and can have stop light also), a Flasher, and a double pole double throw center off switch. $50 and a bit of fiddling. 6v bulbs if needed. Can be easy to remove.

5 hours ago, padgett said:

Am a bit curious about this fascination with wireless. Just need two sets of magetic lights and can have stop light also), a Flasher, and a double pole double throw center off switch. $50 and a bit of fiddling. 6v bulbs if needed. Can be easy to remove.

Some of us have several cars, each much older than those in your fleet, my friend.  I'd like to buy ONE set that I can move from car to car.