1940 Pontiac parts

deac

I have numerous parts available from a 1940 Pontiac Torpedo {model 29)  I will list a few of them - reply if interested.

Intake & exhaust manifolds from a Pontiac straight 8 motor

Two headlight buckets (probably universal among most 1940 GM cars)

Extremely rare fuel pump adapter for 1940 Torpedos

Fuel pump (applicable to most Pontiac straight 8's)

Water neck/thermostat housing (applicable to most Pontiac straight 8's)

Engine head of a '40 Pontiac straight 8 motor

Rear seat bottom frame (from a model 29 - GM C body)

rear seat back frame (from a model 29 - GM C body)

two door latch mechanisms (applicable to most GM cars in those years)

Chris

In regards to the parts listed above - The fuel pump adapter is no longer available.  However I do have a pair of exterior door handles and exterior key lock cylinder chrome appliques with the sliding covers.  Though the key lock cylinder chrome appliques came off that 1940 Pontiac they would most likely work on a variety GM cars from various years.

On a '40 Pontiac the fuel pump mounts to the block on the passenger side close front of the Pontiac straight 8.  The way those Torpedo C-bodied cars are put together the way the inner fender wells are contoured so a fuel pump doesn't fit mounted in the traditional way. Therefore Pontiac came up with a bracket that mounts between the block and the pump.  The bracket basically houses the arm that rides on the cam in the engine on one end and the arm of the pump on the other end .  However that bracket has a 90 degree turn like "L" so the pump mounts to the bracket and it's snugged up to the block a few inches back.  This is a bracket is for 1940 Torpedo's only.  

• Like 1

Thank you, I figured it must be a clearance issue of some kind, but am amazed they put it around a corner!

Long shot: Speaking of fuel, you wouldn't happen to have an elbow fitting like this would you? (The one at the carb. It is not double flare.) I have heard Pontiac used this type of fitting all the way into the 50s, but there don't seem to be many lying around.

45RJoGk.jpg

I had to order fittings from O'reilly auto parts.  The reason I had to order it is because using today's pump gas with all of the alcohol added the old ones leak if you can find them.  The ones I ordered are 'Edelman' brand.  I don't know that I got the actual piece your are looking for but look that company I'm pretty sure they have 90 degree fittings.  I ordered 'double flair' fittings!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I do not have any hood springs.  I would encourage you to research if hood springs cross over from 1940 to '41.  Some different models used different chassis and I find that the 1940 model year was sort of a change over from 1939 to 1941.  Hence, my searches for '40 parts have a little fruitless and sometimes frustrating!  Try CPR or Kurt Kelsey...

Edited by deac (see edit history)

I have the base part that directly mounts to the carburetor of a 1940 Pontiac air cleaner.  See the attached; I'll measure the opening of you're interested.

Let me know,

Chris

40 air cleaner 3qtr.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I still have the manifolds!  I would only sell them together as a matched set.  The reason I say matched is because I have found that the flanges that mount to the engine are NOT consistent.  I had another set of the same make model and year and those flanges were of a different measurement however this set of manifolds are on my car now..

Additionally I must tell you that the exhaust manifold has a crack in and it's repairable.  The manifold I'm using now had a crack and I did have it welded for $100.00.  

So, to be fair make me an offer using the AACA mail.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
3 hours ago, FireMechanic said:

I know this post has been up for awhile, by chance would you have a set of headlight doors ( bezels, trim ring)?  I have a 1940 Oldsmobile series 70, I believe they are the same.F1168898-505D-4422-84E4-B3DB6151C86B.thumb.jpeg.109f410d7b0e5ce12d0ea9de8109fc7e.jpeg

The headlight bezels/trim rings for a 1940 Olds & a 1940 Pontiac have different part numbers, they are not the same according to the parts books. 

• 1 month later...

I have a 40 Pontiac torpedo 8 four door sedan. I need a steering wheel.

would also be interested in purchasing any or all of your parts just to have them in case they are needed in the future.

you can call me at 860 596 4084

i am a member of AACA

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/21/2020 at 12:59 PM, Js1972 said:

I bought a 1940 Pontiac silver streak former police car. I’m looking for numerous parts. Where could I look for these and how do I know the model? All I see on the car is silver streak.

Rectangular plate on the firewall.  Similar to this 1950 one.

A 1940-25 would be a Special 6cyl. a 1940-26 would be a Deluxe 6 cyl.  A 1940-28 would be a  Deluxe 8 cyl. A 1940-29 would be a Torpedo 8 cyl.  Other numbers tell the paint, trim etc but I do not have a list of them.

images.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...