Want to thank all the members who helped me finally solve my starting problems, after replacing many parts as indicated in my previous posts, it turned out to be a faulty hall effect coil in my distributor.  I replaced that component at the very beginning of my problem but still no starting.  Turned out that that component was, unbeknown to me, bad right out of the box.  It caused me replace other components that were perfectly ok.  I can only say I learned a valuable lesson, brand new components can be totally faulty.  Thanks again for all the help and concern.

• Like 2

Also, it has been found that some of the aftermarket units actually are made incorrectly and have the magnetic pick-ups positioned wrong. This causes the timing to be off.

• 2 years later...

Hard time interpreting

I just bought a Standard rotor, hall effect plate and bluestreak cap, are these OK? cables from Rick D, tomorrows mission, I dont want to do this twice.

Please advise

Now my car wont start, I suspect I have the same issue with the NFG STANDARD hall effect plate as No1parfive,

can anyone tell me where to source a good Hall effect assembly, I looked at Delphi Brand web site they have nothing listed.

I guess I'm doing this twice.

Best bet is to get one out of a known running car to verify it's truly your issue. I am starting to think the connectors are bad at this point.

Thanks Reaper,

I'm sorry, sort of jumping threads here, in the other thread "Strange Things" I was complaining about the car running "slightly off" and the tach jumping around.  You suggested that it might be the TPS which I replaced but still off and on erratic.

Hemi suggested the HEP ( Hall effect plate) that I replaced (with a STANDARD) along with a new Blue streak  cap and STANDARD rotor with new plug wires from Rick Diego while I'm in that area. So my car was running, just acting funny, not it's usual smooth self. But now it wont start at all, I just ordered a Duralast CR121 HEP that will be in tomorrow. I'm confident "sort of" that I have all the plug and coil wires correct, I did replace the coil also with a NAPA IC27 that indicates ( use with an external resistor) and am hoping that The TC has one around the alternator? Work in progress, missing some great convertible weather, any help or input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

20200825_171402.jpg

Ah...That coil might be your issue. Our cars use a different primary resistance coil than some others. In order to help with RFI, we use a capacitor, not a resistor.

Check the primary side resistance of that coil and check it against the stock one.