Original print "Setting the Pace" Olds Limited

For sale. One of the 250 Oldsmobile commissioned prints by Meyercord Co. of "Setting the Pace" by William Harnden Foster. The iconic image of the mighty Olds Limited racing the NYC train of the same name. This one was given to the Fallon Garage in Nevada when it opened as an Olds dealer in 1913. The picture stayed with the business until it closed in the early 90's at which time I acquired it. There are only a handful of these surviving. Perhaps no more than the car. The whereabouts of Foster's original is in doubt. In good condition, available at $4000. Email bcanumber99@yahoo.com

If it's one of the original large sized prints it's indeed something special.  Please post a photo.  Not sure of the price but I do know that a few have been sold at auction in the past several years so it might be possible to search for that info.  Sounds like you have good provenance on it.

Terry

The 70's editions of the print were available to the public. I have an ad that appears in several publications offering them.  It's the large sized first edition prints that are really special.  The later prints run from $300--$500 depending on condition and whether they are in their original frame.  The earlier versions can cost much more and as I mentioned earlier, there have been a few sold, so if someone wants to dig on the internet, I'm sure you'll find some comparables.  Not sure it's a $4000 piece but they don't turn up often and there should be plenty of interest among Olds enthusiasts.  Steve, if your watching this thread, you're welcome to give us your thoughts on the topic as our resident Olds guy.

Terry

Thanks for the input guys. I will get a photo up asap. Mr Coverston opened the Fallon Garage as an Olds dealer in 1913 and was given one of the pictures as was Oldsmobile's practice. Apparently they had some of the 250 left at that time. He had a falling out with Olds in about 1918 and became a Chevrolet dealer. He took the picture home and kept it there for decades. Good thing, too, because the showroom burned in 1923 and it would have been toast along with a handful of new Chevies. The Coverston family gave it to the new owner of the business in the 70's. I first saw it about that time and remember being very impressed. Later I worked there and bought it when the dealership closed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...