My 1920 Davis Phaeton Tourer Restoration Project

It’s great to find this form on the Davis.  I just purchased a 1922  from a gentleman who has owned it for the past 65 years  I never heard of a Davis until I saw this one   It is in remarkably good original condition. This  picture I  shared is right after I pulled it out of the barn 

4BA6D580-4D87-43E2-BCD4-4EAD14785448.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jeff22 said:

I am looking for points and rotor if anybody has any information it would be greatly appreciated

Welcome Jeff22 ! What a well preserved find ! Would love to see more pictures, interior and mechanical. Check with Tom VanMeeteren for your ignition parts.   tsvanmeet@gmail.com   Does your Davis run at all at this time ?   -   Carl 

• Like 1

Hi from New Zealand

Jeff

Great to see another Davis surviving all these years. Same comments as Carl - more photos please , Could you take a photo of the motor meter and radiator surround with the Davis badge. I have been trying to source an original Davis motometer for the last 12 months - very rare and hard to find.

Is your car in running condition ? Also what motor do you have - mine is a Continental 7R. If you have the same motor , I can send you a copy of the complete manual for the engine and also a parts manual.( provide your email address if you want these items )

I have a contact in New York , Jim Davis who owns 4 Davis cars - 1920 , 1922, 1926 and a Davis Darby. He may also be able to help you out with parts ( I will email you his details when you send me your email address ).

I thought I should give another update on my restoration of the 1920 Davis.

New Radiator core had to be made $$$$$'s but looks great . I have repaired the radiator surround and headlamps and had them nickeled. Rebuild of the motor is almost complete - once stripped down , it was found to be in remarkable condition. Bore was great , no wear , valve guides etc all fantastic. Only new parts I replaced where a new set of rings..

Almost ready to be installed onto the chassis , with new exhaust system to be built and fitted in January. Still plenty to do on the electric side of things before i attempt to fire it up.

Some photos attached - before and after of the motor and a couple of photos of the radiator, surround and headlamps.

IMG_0455.JPG

IMG_0364.JPG

IMG_0412.JPG

IMG_0524.JPG

• Like 1

ED130F59-F471-4C67-AB7C-2BBFEBB1F083.jpeg.b5dd72e856861381fe7162e6b9328d97.jpegThe Davis last ran in 2016 when it was parked.  I purchased it in  April 2018 but was not able to go pick it up until   August.  I found out  after that how rare this car is.  It has survived with all of its original equipment except for  four of the five tires and it also looks to have an aftermarket fuel pump.  And brake lights were added.  I tell you all of that to reply to your question I have not even attempted to start it yet from all appearances when I get the points it should start  and run fine    I only have a few pictures right now with me that do it justice. I will get more pictures soon and post them.  The small collage of pictures that I added are from the original owner  and our  approximately 20 yr old   I will get better pictures of the Moto meter for you  63711D35-1464-4640-B350-EED0B69594B3.jpeg.cccb4cbd4c5043d9113c324817a947d4.jpeg63711D35-1464-4640-B350-EED0B69594B3.jpeg.cccb4cbd4c5043d9113c324817a947d4.jpegYears old

816EC575-C5C8-4F64-B7AE-81490F9EB85B.jpeg

CF31C8FF-9AEB-45A2-8565-C2311194F37D.jpeg

77933B35-2720-4224-87B0-7978F519B70B.jpeg

Edited by Jeff22
Add (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It looks to be fantastically well preserved but please do yourself a favor and drop the pan to make certain all the sludge is out of it. Many "old time" car guys didn't do this so unless you know it was done, it is a cheap, easy and very worthwhile effort to make and will give you the peace of mind that comes from knowing it is clean.

• Like 2

On 12/19/2019 at 3:21 AM, C Carl said:

Welcome Jeff22 ! What a well preserved find ! Would love to see more pictures, interior and mechanical. Check with Tom VanMeeteren for your ignition parts.   tsvanmeet@gmail.com   Does your Davis run at all at this time ?   -   Carl 

Thank you for the information  More pictures to come soon. 

Edited by Jeff22 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 4:12 PM, John Lynn said:

Hi from New Zealand

Jeff

Great to see another Davis surviving all these years. Same comments as Carl - more photos please , Could you take a photo of the motor meter and radiator surround with the Davis badge. I have been trying to source an original Davis motometer for the last 12 months - very rare and hard to find.

Is your car in running condition ? Also what motor do you have - mine is a Continental 7R. If you have the same motor , I can send you a copy of the complete manual for the engine and also a parts manual.( provide your email address if you want these items )

I have a contact in New York , Jim Davis who owns 4 Davis cars - 1920 , 1922, 1926 and a Davis Darby. He may also be able to help you out with parts ( I will email you his details when you send me your email address ).

I thought I should give another update on my restoration of the 1920 Davis.

New Radiator core had to be made $$$$$'s but looks great . I have repaired the radiator surround and headlamps and had them nickeled. Rebuild of the motor is almost complete - once stripped down , it was found to be in remarkable condition. Bore was great , no wear , valve guides etc all fantastic. Only new parts I replaced where a new set of rings..

Almost ready to be installed onto the chassis , with new exhaust system to be built and fitted in January. Still plenty to do on the electric side of things before i attempt to fire it up.

Some photos attached - before and after of the motor and a couple of photos of the radiator, surround and headlamps.

IMG_0455.JPG

IMG_0364.JPG

IMG_0412.JPG

IMG_0524.JPG

John Lynn   I would really appreciate contact information for Jim Davis or you can give him mine.  I have seen two of his Davises in the Hemmings newsletter.                                  

I thought it was the continental 7R  but the first letters in the motor number are 7u   The age of this car the make and motor are all new to me.

I fell into the opportunity to buy the car  now I’m just enjoying the ride. 

Edited by Jeff22 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

It looks to be fantastically well preserved but please do yourself a favor and drop the pan to make certain all the sludge is out of it. Many "old time" car guys didn't do this so unless you know it was done, it is a cheap, easy and very worthwhile effort to make and will give you the peace of mind that comes from knowing it is clean.

Thank you very much for the advice I will do that.

• Like 1

Jeff - I have emailed you the contact details for Jim in New York.

Agree with previous comments - a really nice original condition Davis. ( would like to see a close up photo of the motometer to see if it has the Davis badge in the face ) plus some other photos.

Also agree - change out the oil in the motor , gearbox and differential

• 2 months later...

Hi Folks

Another update on my Davis restoration. Some more photos.

Next steps are wiring and exhaust system and hopefully all systems go for a start up !

Then the big job of starting the body work - all panels are ok and repairable - woodwork is a mess.

IMG_0657.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0621.JPG

IMG_0619.JPG

IMG_0615.JPG

IMG_0614.JPG

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Interestingly , I had engaged Motormeter Central in the USA to try and source an original Davis motometer. Before I could get to the EBay site to view the listing , it had been sold.

Guess who to - Motometer Central.

Currently , they are attempting to restore the temperature mechanism before I would consider purchasing it from them ( at cost price as I had paid a finders fee )

• 2 months later...

Hi Folks

Another update on restoration progress - post coronavirus lockdown in NZ.

Motor almost ready to be started - just some minor wiring to be completed. Woodwork started with four doors now repaired and installed . starting floorboards and front seat reconstruction. Rear end woodwork is going to be a nightmare - very little old frame left to work from but all metal body is intact.

IMG_0791.JPG

IMG_0827.JPG

IMG_0828.JPG

IMG_0831.JPG

IMG_0790.JPG

• Like 3

Sorry that I just now follow this Davis thread but let me shine some light on the Davis engines. And by the way, I keep in contact with Jim Davis quite a bit because we both have an interest in Continental engines since both the Davis and Moons used many of the same engines.

The 7R Continental engine was also used by Moon models 1920 6-46 and 1920-21 6-48.

The 7U Continental engine was used by the 1924 6-40/Series U and the 1925 Newport(still the 6-40 renamed)

FYI, after I had done extensive research on both the 6Y and 7U engine,  the 6Y Continental engine was the used by 1922-23 6-40 Moons and the block and most of the engine parts was used for the 7U engine. The only real changes from the 6Y to the 7u engine was the engine head and the manifold configuration.  

(see our website www.mooncarclub.com for pictures of these cars). 

1920 6 48 Coupe 07.jpg

Slide11.JPG

Slide12.JPG

6Y Engine.jpg

7U engine with 6Y-200 Block.jpg

• Like 2

Glad to hear you are getting your Davis restored and ready to go. As I said, Moon used the 7R engine for the 6-48 and we have a few in our club. I am also helping Jim Davis look for 6Y/7U parts for his Davis. Anyway, thank for the the 1929 8-80 Moon pictures. The owner, Kelvin, is a member of our club and that 8-80 Moon is the only one known to exist of that model. I have 3 Dianas made by Moon with 8 cylinder engines as well.  Tell Kelvin hello for me. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's great news about getting the engine fired up. Nothing like the joy of hearing the rebuilt engine for the first time. I am currently doing a complete restore of a 1925 Series A Moon Roadster with a 7Z Continental engine. The 7Z was only made for Moon Series A cars.

20181129_160456.thumb.jpg.d0372facad1e9e04e160cfe59d6745d9.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Another update.

Timber frame rebuild now finally completed. Body metal work also completed on all guards, hood, doors and valances and starting to fit to frame. Plenty still to do do on rear panel but making slow and steady progress.

Have already picked the paint colour scheme so looking forward to final priming of panels and then look to paint the car !

Upholstery leather has been purchased. 

Starting to get close to the exciting part of painting and dressing her up !

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Another update. Bodywork now all in place. Still plenty of adjustments to make but good progress being made. Also some panel work to complete before priming and painting - at least another month of sanding and filling !!

Almost 3 years to the day since I first saw this restoration opportunity - been an exciting and huge learning curve for me and also very therapeutic in my retirement .

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Well - four years on and I have completed the Davis restoration. Car is running well and is ready for its maiden voyage / road trip. Still have the hood to be made but that wont stop me getting out on the road !

Some final photos

IMG_1245.jpg

IMG_1246.jpg

IMG_1247.jpg

IMG_1249.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1256.jpg

• Like 14

• 8 months later...