My 1920 Davis Phaeton Tourer Restoration Project

Hello from New Zealand.

I am about to start a full ground up restoration on a 1920 Model 51 Davis Phaeton / Tourer which was completely dismantled and then placed in storage over 50 years ago. The previous owner had many other restoration projects underway , so this project just sat in the garage gathering dust for all that time . Unfortunately , he has now passed on and his collection was part of a deceased estate sale.

I managed to purchase the vehicle , and have spent many hours sorting through all the crates that held a wide variety of parts from the car , in no particular order , and just randomly packed away. Amazingly , it appears that everything from the car is in storage - just needs a lot of tender care , refurbishment , rebuilding and reconstruction. Looks like I am going to busy for a number of years ! ( pictures attached )
Only one other in NZ that I know of and that has been fully restored some years ago.( 1925 Davis Tourer )

I would really like to hear from any other Davis owners in the US.

I am also the proud owner of a fully restored rare 1920 Oakland 34C Cabriolet Roadster ( pictures attached )

John Lynn

IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0447.JPG

IMG_0448.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0289.JPG

• Like 2

Hi

Did you manage to take some photos of the 1915 Davis ?

I have also been talking to a Davis owner in New York - he has a 1920 and a 1922 Davis. Interestingly , he is looking for a 1915 Davis to purchase !

Google 1920 Davis auto - it brings up a picture of the two Davis cars. Scroll down to images , click on the first picture,click Visit and you can read the article from Hemmings Classic Car magazine in June 2014 - a good read.

All good and I appreciate your contact and comments.

As a matter of interest , my Davis has 25" rims which has really limited my tire options ( 34"x4 1/2' or 35" x 5" are my on;y options). The other 1920 Davis owner I have been in touch with in the US has 21" rims. Now checking to see if my car is an earlier model. When you get into the basement can you check the rim size on your Davis. Would appreciate it.

Best Regards

John

Wow. Looks like you have the same challenge as I do with my big jigsaw of parts to re-assembel. Good Luck and keep those photos coming. I am getting my car out of storage in two weeks and will get my restoration underway. Willow keep in touch on progress.

Keep those photos coming !

Same for me - metal really good but wood frame will all need replacement. Radiator will also need a complete rebuild as it has been punctured and leaks badly. Not prepared to just do a patch repair. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2018 at 6:04 PM, old car fan said:

Ironically,we have a 15 Davis,similar shape,about ready to get it out of storage.also have a 19 Oakland touring car,our Oakland is a older restoration,but still presents well.

KIMG0107.jpg

Does the 1919 Oakland have a Northway engine? I have a 1919 McLaughlin with a Northway which is under restoration.

There used to be a Northway engine registry but that was years ago and I was never able to find anyone that knew anything about it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tim. 

Restoration is underway with chassis now ready for sand blast and painting. 

Just dismantled the differential and found both crown wheel and pinion are in terrible condition with badly chipped gears. Both will need replacing. My differential is a Salisbury. Going to advertise on the parts forum for possible replacements. 

Cheers 

John

Interesting. I have a 1919 McLaughlin with a Northway demand a related drive train I went through 3 rear ends before I found an intact crown and pinion .

There was an adjustment available for this. I think many folks misadjusted the setting which caused damage to the system

FYI

5 hours ago, John Lynn said:

Restoration is underway with chassis now ready for sand blast and painting. 

Just dismantled the differential and found both crown wheel and pinion are in terrible condition with badly chipped gears. Both will need replacing. My differential is a Salisbury. Going to advertise on the parts forum for possible replacements.

Just to let you know, we like pictures!:D

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, John Lynn said:

Hi

How is the Davis restoration coming along.

I have had a mould made for Davis grease caps( from original caps )  and can have them cast in two different sizes. Do you need any for your Davis ?

Just to let you know the OP hasn't visited since 3 July. You might like to p.m. him.

• 4 months later...

Thought I should provide an update. Restoration process has been slow due to major issues with differential, however , have now managed to replace the crown wheel and pinion from a 1919 Case Car differential. Almost the perfect match , and with some good old Kiwi ingenuity , I have a fully functional differential with a much better gearing ratio as well !

Chassis has now been stripped completely , cleaned and painted. New set of tires to make mobility of chassis easier. Gearbox stripped, checked and re-assembled. Brakes all stripped , hubs machined and cleaned up , new brake linings etc. Newly cast Davis hubs and I have been experimenting with a colour for the wheels. Fatman steering wheel restored and back on car with overhauled steering box also in place.

Radiator will need replacement. Engine rebuild about to commence.

I have attached some photos.

IMG_0206.JPG

IMG_0207.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0215.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG

Edited by John Lynn
Spelling error (see edit history)
  • Like 1