Late Nailhead Distributor Rebuild Lube?

Beemon

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this. On the earlier distributors (57, etc) there's a wick that you oil to keep the top bushing lubricated. However, on the later distributors, it's like this saw dust grease under the plastic cover below the breaker plate. I dug all that junk out when I was cleaning and shimming this distributor but I'm not sure what to put back in. 

I was thinking of using heavy duty wheel bearing grease in the place of the saw dust stuff to lube the upper bushing.

Any help is always appreciated. 

20180609_155114.jpg

A light coating of grease should be fine........there is no seal that stops oil fumes from coming up the shaft, so I suspect there is a constant fine mist of oil in that shaft.

I recently rebuilt a Corvair distributor and added a bronze bearing to the lower end.    That greatly reduced the "wobble" at the top.

This is the area in question, the reservoir that goes under the plastic cap and felt washer. It was filled with some saw dust like material caked in grease or something. You can see the hole in the bushing that lubes the distributor shaft. There's not way for motor oil to get here or to lube it manually. 

So moly grease instead of wheel bearing grease? 

The felt washer I was instructed to soak in engine oil. 

20180610_101028.jpg

today I picked up some all purpose moly grease to stuff down in the cavity. I guess I'll see how it goes, but the moly grease is what was used for contact points. Dug a little deeper and saw people were using dielectric grease on the rubbing block? Doesnt make sense to me. 

18 minutes ago, Ttotired said:

I always just used general purpose grease on the rubbing block and cam

Absolutely no need for anything special and I have rebuilt hundreds of them

Kiss principle

Not that it is that special, but I use Sil-Glyde mostly since it come in a handy tube and does not separate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ttotired said:

I always just used general purpose grease on the rubbing block and cam

Absolutely no need for anything special and I have rebuilt hundreds of them

Kiss principle

The area in question is not the rubbing block and cam, but thanks for the reassurance. 

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 6/10/2018 at 1:16 PM, Beemon said:

This is the area in question, the reservoir that goes under the plastic cap and felt washer. It was filled with some saw dust like material caked in grease or something. You can see the hole in the bushing that lubes the distributor shaft. There's not way for motor oil to get here or to lube it manually. 

So moly grease instead of wheel bearing grease? 

The felt washer I was instructed to soak in engine oil. 

20180610_101028.jpg

I cut some oil absorption shop pads to size then oiled. This is under the plastic seal. 

20230202_125029.jpg

20230202_130535.jpg

Organizational skills learned when you are young will really pay off as you age, Finding a flat surface to do a small job should not take on the action of Moses parting the Red Sea.

BUT

20180609_155114.jpg

If you reach your 70's with no cure in sight you can use a white board to hide the clutter in the background. I just happen to have an example of that.

1851678474_IMG_0166(4).JPG.546a0ee39f71ecd088bd81a3b436faf1.JPG

• Haha 5

But I see no vacant flat surface around that vice!😁