nzcarnerd

NZ Police 1973

In the hot summer of 1973 the NZ Police were given permission to wear shorts.  The question asked on the page I saw this was - "cool uniform or Fashion crime?" 

Image may contain: 1 person, standing and outdoor

2 hours ago, 28 Chrysler said:

The answer maybe it was a Monty Python dress rehearsal.

If this were true, they'd need hankies tied on their heads under their covers.

Looks more like my school uniform - Hastings Boys High School. His stripes have slipped onto his forearm too.

1973. Hmmm. I remember sitting sweltering in English and Mr Anderson ("Bodge" or "Bodgie") said we could take our shirts off if we wanted. It was too hot to do much work and shirts off helped a bit.

ca 1969 Holden.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

I thought 1969 because there was no name on the mudguard. Nor is there a symbol just above the bumper end, as was on some and later (1970-) models, or the belt line stick-on moulding. I say model designation HK, Belmont 1969.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:59 AM, nzcarnerd said:

In the hot summer of 1973 the NZ Police were given permission to wear shorts.  The question asked on the page I saw this was - "cool uniform or Fashion crime?" 

Image may contain: 1 person, standing and outdoor

I would say "Fashion crime".  Short sleeves and no tie would certainly improve the look in my opinion.  As for the car I would say 1970-71 HG Holden with whatever specifications the NZ Police gave to GMH.  Hopefully in 1973 they would not be driving anything older.  I know in Queensland Australia during this era when cars were being fitted with radios and cigarette lighters as standard equipment they were removed before being put into use and replaced before the cars were auctioned off at around 12 months of age.

Edited by Stude17 (see edit history)