old-tank

Texas Road Warriors --- Mile High Blitz

Anyone near Boise City, Oklahoma? I'm stranded with vapor lock. Was stranded earlier in Stratford, Texas for six hours with vapor lock and bad coil. Ready to turn around and go home, but I doubt if the car will even make it. Need a ride!!!

Pete

903-436-2851

19 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

Can't resist a nighttime shot, just made a few minutes ago!

IMG_7560.JPG

I love that place!

DSC_2789.jpg

• Like 2

Another 450 miles to Best Western in Pueblo.  It took 652 miles just to get out of Texas!

Hottest temps in CO; still 15-16 mpg; 1/2 qt oil and 1/2 qt tranny fluid; a/c blowing cold.

Tomorrow Dillon CO for 2 days before Denver.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

Anyone near Boise City, Oklahoma? I'm stranded with vapor lock. Was stranded earlier in Stratford, Texas for six hours with vapor lock and bad coil. Ready to turn around and go home, but I doubt if the car will even make it. Need a ride!!!

Pete

903-436-2851

I hope someone was able to help!   It'd sure be nice if they'd move nationals to the fall.

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I changed the fuel filter last night, at "First Born's" suggestion, and got up at 4:30 this morning while the weather was cool, kept the speed below 65 mph, and MADE IT TO DENVER without any more vapor lock! Hooray! So glad to have made it.

Here's the view of the parking lot from my hotel window. That's John Giokaris unloading his 1930 Marquette from its trailer in the center of second photo. 1960 Invicta Texan station wagon in first photo.

Pete Phillips

IMG_7640.JPG

IMG_7622 resized.jpg

Edited by Pete Phillips
correction (see edit history)
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Pete Phillips said:

I changed the fuel filter last night, at "First Born's" suggestion, and got up at 4:30 this morning while the weather was cool, kept the speed below 65 mph, and MADE IT TO DENVER without any more vapor lock! Hooray! So glad to have made it.

Here's the view of the parking lot from my hotel window. That's John Giokaris unloading his 1930 Marquette from its trailer in the center of second photo. 1960 Invicta Texan station wagon in first photo.

Pete Phillips

IMG_7640.JPG

IMG_7622 resized.jpg

Looks like Chuck Russell’s 53 Special next to the 60 Wagon!

Yes, Chuck's '53 is here but I haven't run into him yet. The 1913 barn find is absolutely awesome! So is Jerry Bernard's 1963 4-speed 425 LeSabre!

IMG_7618.JPG

IMG_7599 resized.jpg

• Like 4

We did not make it in our Electra. First AC gave out and the the generator. Couldn’t get the hood open to see what happened. Left the car at the Lubbock Airport and rented a Chevy Cruz.  Trying to fit the stuff we had in the Electra into the. Cruz was lots of fun. 

Anyway we are at the meet.  We beat the hail and storms yesterday.  

0D446384-EC8B-4A63-974B-DBFDAB326CC3.jpeg

• Sad 2

Party's over...heading home tomorrow.  1200 miles so far.

• Like 2

Got to Lubbock Tx today, 106 degrees out.  It was cool through Colorado and New Mexico.  Truck and trailer are here but we will have dinner and wait for it to cool off a bit before loading the trailer.

Stopped at the car and was able to get the hood open after some work. Needs some adjustments or grease. Al  the belts are there and not too loose, so I have no ideas whats going on. 

Back home in the morning on a trailer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

450 miles to Canyon TX.  Like Bill said it was cool in CO & NM, but only 87 in Canyon (about 80 miles north of Bill).  Two back to back tanks of almost 20 mpg on the 85 octaine mountain gas..maybe les ethanol??  About 550 miles to home and will probably stop 1/2 way since the temps in that area are forcast to be 100-110*F.

WP_20180620_20_11_29_Pro.thumb.jpg.9764b5d1e01e6bed9fd31bb20deb800a.jpg

Saw these 2 'things' at the hotel in Dillon CO...disguised with manufacturer pales.  The drivers said they were hammering them over the mountains, trying to kill drivetrain and brakes.  They would not tell me what they were.

Checked the vin:

WP_20180620_20_12_02_Pro.thumb.jpg.2d6a423a359fa7ccd46670e94d867a40.jpg

Probably should leave the wrap on...there are just so many ways to decorate a jelly bean!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Home about 6:00 PM Sunday. 

I left Lone Tree about 8:00 PM Sat. All week, my plan was to get to a spot on CO hwy 94 about 70 miles East of Colorado Springs at an area where there is NO light pollution to see the night stars from an altitude where the air is cleaner. I FORGOT  about the MOON! So laid down in the front seat for a nap. Moon was way over there, so maybe a chance later. At 4:00 AM, awakened to rain!  Nothing to do then but put it in the wind. Plenty cool until about I 40 at Shamrock.

George did me proud. Believe me or not, the WORST mileage was from fill up at Lone Tree on arrival Tuesday until fillup in Colorado springs Sat.  That one ,for almost 100 miles, was 15.5 mpg. The best was  21.6 from Lamar, CO to Lone Tree Tuesday. Flabbergasted. Complete trip mileage later. 

Great trip. Glad to be home.

Ben

P.S. 

Later!   Complete mileage.  1459 miles. Includes 92 miles running around Denver Total gas= 73.4=19.9 mpg.

Take out the "city miles" leaves 1367 miles and take out the gas  , 7.7 gal for that, leaves 65.7 gal = 20.8 mpg. 

Best was from Minneola KS to Lamar CO , 191 miles,   8.8 gal = 21.7 mpg.   Proud of George!

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born
repair transposed numbers, capitalization (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Hard to believe, but my '70 Wildcat 455 got 22 mpg yesterday between Denver and Clayton, New Mexico. There wasn't much head wind and there's a drop of about 2000' elevation between the two places. Car is not vapor locking any more, thank goodness. Hope to make it the rest of the way home later today.

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Made it home today.  Left Lubbock Tx at 9 am and 65 degrees.  Got home to Kerrville at 95 degrees.  Put the car in the garage and opened the hood.  A/C blew cold air but the generator light was still on.  I will pull the generator off again and look.  Compressor made some noise but thats normal for it. No bubbles in the sight glass so who knows what is going on with that.  Maybe just a diaphram gave up the ghost.  More investigations are in order. 

• Like 4

270 miles to Abilene, TX,...stopped when the temp hit 95* on the way to 100+.  Probably another 260 miles to home tomorrow.  LOTS more power at lower elevations.

• Like 4

I need to warn you all about calling towing services in South Texas.  

First one I called sent the truck below with promises they would drop the car off on the way to Mexico.

I was not real sure they had room so called a friend.

IMG_1658.jpg

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

I need to warn you all about calling towing services in South Texas.  

First one I called sent the truck below with promises they would drop the car off on the way to Mexico.

I was not real sure they had room so called a friend.

IMG_1658.jpg

ROTFLMAO... there's a similar photo out of Georgia I think....

Back home yesterday afternoon, after 280 miles.  2200 miles total. 1 qt oil; 1/2qt tranny fluid; 15.5 mpg.  That little bit of tranny fluid makes the bottom NASTY.  (drive and enjoy or pull the tranny?)  About 150 miles from home the rear muffler hanger slipped and we had to put up with some aggravating rattling; would have had to find a lift to fix if the trip continued.

Great meet!  Got to meet old and new friends and got some things off my chest at the general membership meeting (things that would have been censored here :lol:).

Willie

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I believe I've read most if not all of your past comments and have learned lots. Members like you and a lot of others hear really help those of us just starting out.

Thanks

Roy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I went South on I-25 to Raton then East.    Did anyone notice all the VW diesels north of the race track down by Castle Rock?

Weather was cool across the north part of New Mexico and had some rain.

I recorded 109 in Lubbock and 113 in the Post area.   See the temp at the top of the screen.

Made it to Abilene on Sunday ...about 720 miles which made Monday an easy 180

It was the first road trip for the new 2017 Enclave and I recorded 26.3 on the flats of SE Colorado.

june242018.jpg

• Like 1