Ornate early electrics--Do any still exist?

A while ago I was browsing at the A.A.C.A. Library

and came across a catalogue for 1903 Woods

electric vehicles.  Among their offerings were some

ornate "carriage" style electric cars, as shown here.

Just about all the electric cars I've seen have been

from the 1910's, and quite boxy looking.  Imagine

one of these rococo things at Hershey, and how much

interest to onlookers!  Does anything like these--

of any make--still exist?

1903 Woods Truck 2.jpg

1903 Woods Truck 3.jpg

• Like 2

There are two pre-1910 electric automobiles in the Larz Anderson Auto Museum in Brookline, Ma.

A 1905 Electromobile and a 1908 Bailey Electric. It is said that the Bailey was Mrs. Anderson's favorite - due to the fact that she could drive it, it was quiet and clean running.

The original charging station still exists. Last saw it about 12 years ago.

Tom

• 3 years later...

This topic was old, but no examples of those

fanciful cars were brought to light in today's collections.

Do any still exist, or are they gone forever?

I thought I'd resurrect the topic to see if there

are any more insights.

"I know--let's do a rococo theme for 2023!"

Those are words which you surely won't hear

from car designers today.

• Like 1

I was wondering what there is in term of clubs for early electrics.  Do the early electric folks hang out with the HCCA crowd? That would make sense. There might be so few early electrics that there isn't much in the way of other clubs.

On 9/14/2021 at 4:10 AM, 1935Packard said:

I was wondering what there is in term of clubs for early electrics.  Do the early electric folks hang out with the HCCA crowd? 

I have never heard of them at HCCA events.

However, there is a non-geographical AACA region

for early electric cars.  I interviewed the region's

president, preparing an article on what ownership

of an early electric is all about.

They were holding a gathering and tour of sorts annually for a few years before all this covid stuff came along. I read tour reports of them in HCCA publications.  As I recall, one was held in Florida, another somewhere in New York, and one may have been Ohio? They usually had about fifteen to twenty cars attend. Small as meets go, but very special.

Fifty some years ago, there was a local fellow by the name of Lloyd Ganno (not sure of spelling?) in the Santa Clara Valley Horseless Carriage Club Regional Group. They held a one and two cylinder tour almost every year for about three decades. Lloyd usually drove his Electric. If I recall correctly, it was an about 1908 Baker roadster, very original, and a bit more ornate than most of the later electric cars.

I remember a good young friend and I rode our bicycles and followed much of the club's tour one year (we were in high school at the time). We had a lot of fun, and the club seemed to enjoy our riding along as much as we did! We would pass the cars, and they would pass us. Probably about forty miles that day! Nice countryside and the wonderful sounds of all those early automobiles. Except for Lloyd's electric which was nearly silent. We would pass him, and he would pass us. When he shifted the controller, a bell would ring, otherwise, silent. At the end of the day, all the ones and twos were back at the hotel. Dan and I were wandering around, looking at the cars, and talking with the people that hadn't wandered away to rest up from the long day's tour. And here comes Lloyd, pulling in last, batteries very low but still moving at about ten miles per hour.

Lloyd and his wife were a charming couple. Like so many in this hobby.

Puzzling me. I am just not sure it was a Baker? I think I will have to dig out an old Gazette and see if I can confirm that?

• Like 1