New spoke wheels on victory 6

Hi first post here so hi everyone. 

I’m just restoring my victory 6 and I’m replacing the spokes with new ones. I have fitted a wheel on the car today and the felloe has a run out of about 3mm , 1/8”. What would you guys call an acceptable runout on these old girls. I should have checked before I pulled them all apart but didn’t. They are going together very nicely but want to be sure I’m heading in the right direction.

Cheers Matt 

04278473-8F3E-46B5-B3C3-43842EE95A2C.jpeg

Did you think to check if the felloe was true before you installed the new spokes. That would have been the time to true the felloe. There should be no run out.  You might be able to compensate for 1/8" at the felloe by adjusting the rim bolts but I don't think that is the way to go.  With run out all you are going to do is have some vibration in the steering wheel and extra wear in the front end and shortened life of rear wheel bearings.

I suppose if you are only driving a few hundred miles a year it wouldn't be a major problem even though it would not be correct.  However when I am driving about a thousand miles a month it would be a bother.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Thanks guys, when I put it on my table it was slightly out. I did try to get it a bit better by running a bearing around the outer rim while spinning it. I still have the other rims just undercoated so I’ll check them this morning. What the best way to get the rims true if they are out. 

3 hours ago, JFranklin said:

Good looking work! I'll bet they are running truer than before you started. 1/8" isn't too bad. Are you testing with the rim on or off?

I tried with just the felloe on the rear axle. What torque would you recommend on the hub and drum bolts. Maybe if I play with that a little it might get it better. 

People sometimes need to have things perfect, my wife does. I would tighten the hub bolts tight and recheck a few times after running them some. Tighten how you want and then check with a torque wrench to make them all the same if you feel like it. Is the axle you tested it on true, or maybe bent a little? Recheck after the assembly is complete with the tire and maybe you will see more or less. I also hope you define runout the way I perceive runout.

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

People sometimes need to have things perfect, my wife does. I would tighten the hub bolts tight and recheck a few times after running them some. Tighten how you want and then check with a torque wrench to make them all the same if you feel like it. Is the axle you tested it on true, or maybe bent a little? Recheck after the assembly is complete with the tire and maybe you will see more or less. I also hope you define runout the way I perceive runout.

Thank for your help JF

so I pulled that wheel apart this morning and checked it on my facing table and it seems the outer  rim edge is what makes it look to be running out. I should have really gone of the inner edge of the felloe to check for true. Anyway I have straightened up all the outer edges the best I can and they sit almost perfectly flat after a bit of tapping. 

I’ve made another 12 spokes this morning so I’m reassembling the wheels now so I’ll see how they are before I paint them. 

Thanks so much for your input on this I appreciate it. 

So I got the wheel back together and mounted it with the front hub. It spins to within 1/16” of the inside rim of the felloes so I’m happy with that. Took a pic to show how I measured it just in case I haven’t explained myself properly. Ran a steel rule of the spring. 

Cheers Matt 

image.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ArticiferTom said:

Notice you relieved the spokes on inside edge . Was there a reason for that ?

I faced the back to the diameter of the drum. My new spokes are about 2mm thicker than the ones that were on it. I could of gone to the outside edge but couldn’t see the point. Wanted to leave the spoke thicker on the outside edge. 

1 hour ago, ArticiferTom said:

Gotcha ! If you made, they look great . You used a nice straight grain wood . I have made a few sets of 57" artillery wheels for cannon .  Used mostly lathe and router . The hub where wood too .

Yer it’s a bit of fun making them. I used my old metal lathe and set up a view stops and a small router on it. Knocks out a spoke all sanded in about 6 minuets. So takes a while to do 48 hahah. 

To face them off I got some old lathe parts from a scrap yard for $60 and made a surfacer. Works beautifully. Small motor spins the table and the router faces off the wheel. 

I have to do the wheels for my 26 dodge as well so it’s worth it all. It has the solid steel wheels. 

4C378169-7D53-44E2-B5E4-ABDF35EF1DF6.jpeg

35073993-5098-4E4E-B0D8-F4DE609F2618.jpeg

DF36B98C-70E4-4817-8248-CD2E974EA57C.jpeg

1 hour ago, ArticiferTom said:

Beautiful !! Your a true craftsman , great machine design . Really like your center cutter . I felt compiled to scan some old photo of a set of my wheels . Most my jigs where only wood as only planned on two uses .  Thanks for showing   .

1665518029_Wheels.jpg.2c6566a3c933d04fd63a0560c1b639b9.jpg

You did a great job of rebuilding them. It’s a trade in itself the old wagon wheels, very nice work. 

Thanks for the comments guys really appreciate it. It’s been a labour of love, as they are!! Spent hundreds of hours on the paint work. Stripped it back to bare metal all over. 

Interesting headliner, is that so you can wear a top-hat?

Not sure haha! That’s how it was so I just re covered it the same. It was actually quite tricky to do because I had to hang all the side material on before I put the roof back in. Have you got a pic of how they should look. I was surprised to find  it had chicken wire in it, but figured that would help it keep its shape. The fast four goes straight across without a step in it. 

Well you might be completely correct JF , here is a photo of the old fella that owned it originally. Not sure if he had it from new but looking at the photo it’s pretty old. 

He’s got a hat on, not a top hat but close lol!! 

9A44474E-12B8-416A-B3E8-7A227D5F3E2C.jpeg

That is a well worn fedora! The collar was out of fashion by 1929 too. Chap looks very proud of his new car.

Pity it is not in colour. The pin striping and colour contrasts around the waistline and windows look like they might be quite smart. Was there any left?

16 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

That is a well worn fedora! The collar was out of fashion by 1929 too. Chap looks very proud of his new car.

Pity it is not in colour. The pin striping and colour contrasts around the waistline and windows look like they might be quite smart. Was there any left?

This is a pic of it looking very new. It looks to be out the front of the same house. 

3EC2AA7C-1CE0-4F7B-B079-DB7F5E4B09BC.jpeg

• Like 1

On 6/11/2018 at 6:30 AM, Spinneyhill said:

!hat shows up the waist line contrasts well. What is the thistle on the light bar? Scottish heritage?

Not sure about the thistle but it’s been a Victorian car most of its life. I have a photo of it with the old Vic plates. 

Got all my wheels back on today, so now just waiting on the new rims and white wall tyres to arrive. I’m excited to see how it will all look, I think the white walls will give the car a completely different look. Some will probably be a little sad I have painted brand new hickory timber wheels but I think the black with white walls is really the look I’m after. 

0E15F71F-B8E0-4515-BC37-90AB9A7F78C1.jpeg

953FC483-1364-4E72-B4CC-1F3361C91D6A.jpeg

A6B66907-7C88-4D6F-B97A-7605E9EEACA5.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well I finally got my new rims today and the tyres fitted. They were definitely worth the wait , Steve has done an awesome job of them. It has really changed the whole look off the car. Took a quick pic while she was still in the air. 

391299A5-3C9C-448C-890C-BFAB22EDFCA6.jpeg

C1D9D7E6-9C4C-4FF7-8B2F-1D6477596A2D.jpeg

F968F32B-39F5-47E1-891D-D866ADD89C38.jpeg

• Like 3

Thanks fellas really appreciate the comments. That’s the next project the 27 -126 series. Just cleaned up the engine and re raced the gearbox. 

The victory drives so much nicer with the new tyres. Been out a view times today I’m loving it. 

2DD46F80-9839-4711-96D3-D26C3E8140E0.jpeg

• Like 4