The Reatta convertible prototype

Barney Eaton

Many of you that have been on the forum for years will remember we found this car in Indiana around 2012.    We found a home for it in San Diago and now they don't want it.

I posted it recently on the Buick General discussion as we were having trouble finding a new home.    Here is the link to the General discussion if you want to read the history and comments.

On 6/4/2018 at 6:50 PM, padgett said:

Just a thought but the Reatta represents more than just a special automobile and someone like the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_History_Museum in Mountain View might be interested as the Buick E body was the first real computer car with a touchscreen in the dash.

CHM has an early Google autonomous 'pod' car on display.  (Google HQ is just a few blocks away from the CHM, so I guess it was an easy donation.)  Unfortunately I don't think the Reatta really falls into their area of expertise.

I think the bottom line is if anyone of us can help, we are all in. I am a retired attorney, if there is anything I can do, loop holes to uncover, people to persuade or what ever, I would volunteer my time and talents. I believe there is a solution to every problem. The real crime, if we are talking crimes, would be for this car to be crushed.

8 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

That might solve two problems.......since the cops are already looking for you.

Everything I know I learned from you. SOO it’s all good. All I have to tell the cops my name is Eaton and where the closes donut shop is and I’m home free. 

• Like 1

Well it is now over 30 years old. I suspect that somewhere (not Florida) that it could just be titled/registered as an "antique".

OTOH "Arizona laws dictates that any vehicle left in a public place for more than 10 days is considered abandoned. Public places can range from parking lots to the side of the road. If Department of Transportation officials cannot locate the owner of the vehicle within 30 days, the car is subject to having the title transferred to whoever reports and takes possession of the vehicle. Filing for the title to an abandoned vehicle is a simple process, but you must go through the proper channels. "

Suspect a museum is a public place...

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

I am sure there are plenty of individuals that would be will to purchase it........the problem......San Diego Auto Museum will not do anything with it with authorization from GM.

The agreement they signed when the car went to them was they did not own it and they could not dispose of it without notifying GM.   Their options were few, keep it or scrap it.

The agreement does not same anything about transfer but we know from history that GM has agreed to that and it has happened with several Reattas.  

Obviously SDAM will do nothing to upset GM.

Even if the set it outside and it "disappeared".......and someone was able to get a title in their name,  I don't believe you would have a chance in court when GM shows up

with their Michigan "Scrap" title.    How much you choose to fight it would depend on how much $$$ you are willing to spend to have a 1988 convertible made from a coupe.

I hope the process works so it can be transferred to the Car and truck museum in Auburn.   They already have agreement with GM on other vehicles so logic would tell you GM should agree to the transfer.

But as they say, "it ain't over until the fat lady sings"

• 1 month later...

Just received great news.......... the Prototype convertible is in transit from San Diego to Auburn Indiana

I am also thrilled that Sid Meyer, a BCA member and present owner of my 1991 White/Red convertible volunteers at the National Auto & Museum and it will finally get recognized for what it is.

Here is a link to the Museum and I hope you will stop when in the area.

https://natmus.org/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This is great news re this piece of our history. Many people have worked hard to save this vehicle.

However, I am still interested in this exchange among the Eatons and Booreatta.   Kansas, Texas.  What's going on here?

And Cargirl:  People to persuade!  You're tougher than I thought.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back to AZ.from a trip to Flint Mi. driving my 1990 white Reatta  vert. to BACK TO THE BRICKS ! (4550 miles round trip )There were 17 Reatta there!

Not only was the car & truck museum in Auburn IN.glad to get the prototype,they took it on the road to display it in Mi.They had it displayed in a tent in the main part of the show!    I as glad to see it !! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...