Summershandy

getting fuel to carb after tank and line replacement

I have a rebuilt gas tank and new fuel line. I've been turning the engine over for a while waiting for the fuel bowl to fill up. The pump had been rebuilt and ran fine when I parked it last fall. My gas gauge needle does show a bit of fuel but maybe I'll go run to the gas station and get another can of gas. Am I have issues with priming or is it because my system was completely empty it's gonna take more time? Don't want to burn out a starter. I'm turning it over for no more than 10 seconds a time. 

Not saying that this is the best way and probably not in the top 100 so use it as a cautious suggestion as the carb is sensitive. But..... one time I needed to get fuel to the pump so I took a plastic spray paint lid and drilled a hole so that my rubber tipped air nozzle would poke through it. I placed the cap over the fuel filler neck and held it down and gave the tank a shot of air from my compressor. Just a quick pull of the trigger was enough pressure to get the gas moving. Just remember these carbs only like 1 or 2 psi. 

Edited by 1940TORPEDO
Spelling (see edit history)

I was actually going to try hooking up a hose to the suction side with a jar of gas. Maybe getting some fuel through the pump may help. Good check for the pump working anyway. 

I have a 1/4 tank of gas now. The pump wouldn't pull any fuel from the jar. I put a funnel on the inlet hose side and filled the bowl. Even gave it a blow so fuel shot from the outlet going through the pump. I sucked up the gas from the tank to fill the main line....looks like it's time to take the pump off and inspect. Can't imagine anything would dry out from new in 7 months. Again, it pumped fine when I parked it. 

So laying in bed this morning around 5 am, thinking about my car as I so often do....I wondered before I pull the fuel pump off, maybe because everything was so dry it couldn't prime itself. Letting it sit over night letting the fuel soak everything and charging the battery, I decided to give it another shot today.....couple cranks and gas started spurting out! Now to hook that up and see if I messed up the electrical LOL

• Like 1

If it wont suck gas up from the tank easily, the fuel pump might need a little massaging.

Those little valves in there should work dry. They often don't because they leak a little. I suspect the main reason today is that people don't drive their cars enough to break them in. It wouldn't surprise me if a huge number of 12v conversions and "emergency" electric fuel pump installations happen because the check valves in the fuel pump don't work right.

Think about this: What would happen if the carb and fuel pump boiled dry after a hot soak on a hot day? The pump would be dry. How long would you have to crank to pull fuel up from the tank?

When my 36 Pontiac fuel pump was torn down the last time, I massaged those valves until they would pull a good vacuum and hold it for a few seconds dry. That made a huge difference. It sucks the fuel right up now.

• Like 1

Rebuilding the fuel pump was one of the first things I did. There were bits and pieces of valve material floating around inside. They looked terrible compared to the new ones. Same with the diaphragm. The hardest part was getting the arm back in and getting those "fingers" hooked back up to the stems! BTW, the engine fired up last night so I guess I did the timing chain and got the firing order right. I can see the old girl being on the road soon!

• Like 2