Gas tank plug washer

Summershandy

This may be a dumb question. I have a drain plug for my tank. Tank's been refurbished and before it was, there was a light leak at the plug. It didn't have a washer when I removed it. I've since installed a new washer for oil drain plugs. Can't really find a "fuel" drain plug gasket. It's a good fit but will it survive fuel exposure? I'm not sure of the make of washer. Seems hard fibre and came in a box of various styles which I used for my oil pan and tranny. I picked the one that fit best. Thanks!

Hard fiber is used on carburetors for various things, like Carter BBD float valves, for instance. It should be fine. If not, try a copper washer. I don't know what was used originally. Maybe someone else in here does.

• Like 1

I couldn't find copper with a good fit. Never thought of sealer. Guess I wouldn't have to ever drain the tank for a long time. If I do start developing a leak I could seal it. I'm still curious if oil and fuel material have the same resistance. 

58 minutes ago, Summershandy said:

I'm still curious if oil and fuel material have the same resistance. 

Not necessarily, in fact usually not. I think fiber is a case where there is likely no difference, and you will be fine. I am extremely skeptical of any kind of sealer on gasoline, I think that is the road to madness. If it were me, and I had a fiber washer that fit nicely, I would put it on there, tighten it good, and not give it another thought.

How hard would it be to use a flat block and emery paper to ensure that the tank surface had no irregularities.  You could do the same with a tube and emery paper or valve grinding compound on the plug.