'36 Dodge Coupe tail light backing plate

Does anyone have a picture or dimensions for the backing plates that go under the fenders to support the tail lights on a coupe? They appear to have a channel that protects the wiring. I have only fragments of one and not enough left to see how a copy should look. If you had a whole one for loan to copy that would be great. Thanks.

According to the parts book, the tailamp reinforcement bracket is the same for all coupes and the 2 and 4 door sedans. The 2 and 4 door touring sedans are different due to the trunk. The part  number for the coupe tailamp reinforcement bracket is 643847 and I assume that this is the part that you need. I believe this is the plate that mounts over the mounting studs on the inside of the body. On the trunk sedans it is a sheet metal part with separate conical cups which go under the mounting nuts to help support the tailamp. Hope this helps.

Whoops..made a mistake!  The 2 door touring sedan uses the same reinforcement bracket as the coupes. Only the 4 door touring and seven passenger sedans are different. This should narrow your search. Good hunting!

Thanks for the research and the correction. I didn't think to look at my parts book - sometimes the brain takes a vacation :( However that number pops up with '35 Dodge Du and DV as well as '35 Chrysler CZ without any qualifiers for body style.  Based on the '36 Dodge information, I'm a little suspicious that the parts book may not be entirely right. The '35/36 bodies were very similar. The search continues.

I don’t know specifically the backing plate your looking for but I came across these that came off of what was I think a 36. Center to center on the stud holes is 3-1/4-  3-3/8”. If these will work for you let me know. The tail light stand these fit was part # 635417

Scott

AA6E3496-7923-41B0-B17E-7ACD5252B245.jpeg

Edited by mopar scott
Added part # (see edit history)

24 minutes ago, mopar scott said:

I don’t know specifically the backing plate your looking for but I came across these that came off of what was I think a 36. Center to center on the stud holes is 3-1/4-  3-3/8”. If these will work for you let me know. The tail light stand these fit was part # 635417

Scott

Hi Scott

The one on the left sure looks like the remains of the one I have. There's just enough to get a measure of the stud holes and it matches yours. I'll take both  of them. They sure would be an improvement on the skeleton I have. And looking at these, making reproductions would take a bit of work to form them. Send me a PM and we can discuss payment and shipping. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Jim

23 hours ago, mopar scott said:

Scott

I just looked at my 36  non-touring sedan this morning.  The bracket on the left above looks exactly like the one on the driver's side of my car.  Horror of horrors I discovered that the bracket on the passenger's side is MISSING.  I do have a spare tail light from a 36 P1 but the bracket attached to that doesn't look like the one pictured above on the right.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim,

That was very kind of you Jim, my inspiration is a very very dear friend who passed away this last year. The parts and Chrysler product cars  her and her husband ( deceased 35 yrs ago) collected over the years was over the top, before her death I promised to her to hopefully find homes and get some of the parts they collected back in circulation. She and her grown boys trusted me with all of her inventory of parts.  I always referred to her as my Mopar girlfriend ( and my wife approved and loved her also). It has been an enormous task and I still have a long ways to go but its a way to give something back to the hobby. So when you think of those parts think of a beautiful LADY by the name of Joan Jaques.  The interesting thing Jim she was Canadian and moved to the bay area. Life is not about money but relationships, she was a perfect example of that.

These are some of her shining stars from her that she trusted me with,  a beautiful 1930's Dodge Plymouth Neon Dealership sign, A 1948 Plymouth Special Deluxe Coupe that she gifted to me, it was the very first collector car her and her husband bought back in the 60's and the last one  she let go out of 60 cars they collected.  She insisted it be in my collection. And of course the parts room that they collected from various places over the years.

So I guess the bottom line is I think I'm really the one  who has benefited from finding something on the shelf to help out your project. All I can say is we got another part it the right location my dear Joan and it went to Canada!

Enjoy,

Scott 

Neon Sign.JPG

2016 Sebastopol Car Show (13).JPG

3A5277FB-163A-4F71-ABB9-97893E510323.jpeg

Edited by mopar scott (see edit history)