Lebaron body information

John Kelso

I am repairing the wood in a 1936 Lincoln Lebaron body and have come across some issues.

The first picture shows the right side with glove box door wood removed. Looking closely you will

notice  at the front of the horizontal piece the rod for the rumble seat latch passing through, the hole cut through

this area took about three quarters of the strength of the wood. There is also a piece of wood passing left to right on the body supporting

the wood that supports the top of the frame for the body but does not attach to any wood at the sides.

The second picture shows reinforcement plates added to the deck, the one in front is under the upholstery and also under the flat

board supporting the seat back.It has been observed that these plates were hand drilled and only countersunk where screwed were placed.

There were three screws located under this plate, as shown in picture three.

The fourth picture shows the left side with the same added pieces.

In the fifth picture, showing the left side, the horizontal piece is sagging somewhat but when in place its bottom lines up with the top of the

vertical piece. There is no evidence they were ever attached and to further complicate things from the saw marks it appears there was a cutout in

the horizon piece where they should have met. looking to the right side of this picture you will also notice the left side of the piece going left to right that I mentioned earlier.

I am no stranger to wood bodies but this is the first Lebaron and the newest I've worked on. This body is #11 so it is midway in the production.

I expect to make some alterations to the wood such as making sure its all tied together and structurally sound, at this point it is fairly easy and I

think will make a better job in the end.

Thoughts? Thanks John Kelso

DSC05701.JPG

DSC05702.JPG

DSC05703.JPG

DSC05704.JPG

DSC05705.JPG

Those patch plates are obvisously a fifties or sixties hack repair. I think your on the right track. I have owned a one off LeBaron and had a passion for their coach building for more than thirty years, and have worked on more than a dozen of them. I also have some factory records that came out of the New York and Bridgeport offices. I think your on the right track. Do ALL the repairs while its on the frame. Support the frame and be sure there are no twists and it hasn't been hit. MOST of theca's I have worked on have been hit to tapped, and its amazing how a minor hit will bend a frame eight feet further away the the point of contact. I had a 36 Brunn Lincoln back in the day. Most of these factory custom catalog cars were well built, and although late in the era, I have never seen Brunn, LeBaron, or any of the major builders take short cuts. Some of the very small firms did late in the game, bit mostly the craftsmen were still around and did things correctly. Its a neat car, and a great driver, but you sure have your work "cut out" for you! Start a restoration thread on the car, as most of us here would like to watch the progress. I have driven an identical car that was Maroon in Southern Florida back in the 90's. It was a great driving car, but hard to see out of with the top up. Ed.

Did you get that clutch to brake loose?

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Thanks Ed, checking the frame for alignment was one of the first things I did.

Attached is a picture of a project I did a couple years ago, 1927 Yellow Coach Fifth Avenue Bus.

One of 4 buses I've done. Cars are much easier.

Wasn't I with the stuck clutch problem.

Thanks, John

Bus arriving at Lacey 005 (Medium).jpg

• Like 3

Sure is a lot of timber in that bus! I would never use the word wood and easy when it comes to a car! There are very few talented wood guys left today, obviously you know what your doing. I find wood to be the most challenging part of a pre war restoration. My best. Ed 

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 4:07 PM, JAK said:

I am repairing the wood in a 1936 Lincoln Lebaron body and have come across some issues.

The first picture shows the right side with glove box door wood removed.

DSC05701.JPG

When you state 'glove compartment door', are you referring to the 'golf bag door' which opens to the floor area of the rumble seat compartment?

Craig