MEMORIAL DAY - A TIME TO REMEMBER AND TO HONOR

Marty Roth

Please take a moment this weekend to remember and to honor those who so much deserve to be remembered.

This is but one of the bricks at the National World War II Museum - this one honoring my Dad's service.

May all rest in peace - God bless them all.

WW II Museum - AL ROTH BRICK Commemorative 005.jpg

This is extremely powerful and very appropriate for Memorial Day.
Please send it to anyone who has taken the path.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lebowski. It is honoring a fallen hero. It doesn’t matter how many threads there are as long as these hero’s are remembered this weekend and every day we have the freedom they have given all of us. 

Dave S 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SC38DLS said:

Lebowski. It is honoring a fallen hero. It doesn’t matter how many threads there are as long as these hero’s are remembered this weekend and every day we have the freedom they have given all of us. 

Dave S 

His father is not a "fallen hero" but he did serve during WW2 just like my father did....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lebowski said:

His father is not a "fallen hero" but he did serve during WW2 just like my father did....

Thankfully he survived - others in his company did not. Seabees continued to function while under fire from Japanese Snipers, and worse. Despite injuries in the combat zone, he was able to continue to serve for the balance of the War in the Pacific (and then as a firefighter for the balance of his working years).

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Vietnam, Korea the Gilf wars were all hard for the generation that were the main combatants but WWII was much harder. Our dads, moms, aunts,, uncles and grand parents all were greatly affected and therefore so were the next generations. 

Its called the greatest generation for a reason. My dad was in the navy and served in the most shot at squadron in the pacific as a radio man flying in all kinds of planes. He never saw combat!  They towed Ariel targets for the fleet to practice on leaving Pearl. But someone had to do it. He was still a WWII vet and a hero as far as that goes. Just remember them all for the service they gave. 

Dave S 

• Like 1

My Dad was also a SeaBee in WWII, 30th Battalion serving in the Phillippines . He met my Mom ,a USO girl,in Quonset Point,Rhode Island. I've told this to Marty in previous Memorial Day threads. I hoped to follow his footsteps into the SeaBees during Vietnam but it wasn't to be. I did my time in the regular Navy 1968-72. 7 from my school died in Vietnam, 3 from my class. Their memories will always be with me.

Let us not forget those who have given their life for our country in Afghanistan and Iraq too.  We too often forget there are still active deployment in these areas taking the lives of those serving for us.

On 5/27/2018 at 5:43 AM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Paraphrasing something I read somewhere;

Veterans day honors the ones who survived. 

Memorial Day for remembering those who did not.

My Dad and a brother, both now gone, were in the first group.

Remember and be thankful.

Ben

It really bothers me when I get an e-card wishing me a "Happy" Memorial Day. "HAPPY" Memorial Day?  I think not.  "Reflective" or "meaningful" or "thoughtful" perhaps.

On Memorial Day I grieve for friends lost in combat.  On Veterans Day I grieve for friends maimed physically and/or psychologically from their service.  Too many of each...

God bless and keep all us vets, especially COMBAT vets.

George (5th Special Forces Group, I CTZ, RVN, 1967-68)
  • Thanks 1

My father survived WWII as a AAF B-17 navigator in the European theater and I really respect that generation.  What they did, saw, created, invented, built and lived through starting as babies/ kids in the Great Depression truly makes them the greatest generation.  Our country would not be what it is without all they did in war and peace.

As a proud native and resident of Waterloo, NY the federally recognized birthplace of Memorial day where Gen John Logan started Decoration Day in 1866 I understand the meaning of Memorial Day as well as most.  We honor all those who perished in all wars the USA has fought in or is still fighting.  For Waterloo this is not a furniture sale day and is still held on May 30, the original date.  My flags are flying high and proud today!

Please take a minute and reflect on those who gave it all so we can live the life we have today, including our great hobby.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have always held Memorial Day an important reminder of all that have served to defend this country. This year's has been a very tough one for my family as we lost my father on Sunday afternoon.  He was 94, a WWII army infantry vet who landed on Omaha beach, was later wounded in the fighting to liberate France, and continued to serve throughout the war until the end. I had the honor to meet a few of his fellow army survivors over the years and, while not in any way meaning to denigrate any of those who served in any other conflicts, can say that those men and women of that generation were very special. My father's last couple of years were very difficult, due to stroke, but he fought that battle as he did throughout his entire life, with a strength and dignity not often seen today.  We will miss him terribly, especially my Mother, his wife of 70 years, along with me, my wife, and our children and grandchildren, but a part of him will always be with us..