1988 Reatta SunRoof question

BGerrells

Hey everyone, I've searched back through the old post to no avail. I have the sunroof out of my car, but can't figure out what I need to do to gain access to the cables that need replacing. The top of the sunroof/lid is still attached. Currently the Sunroof does not open at all. The motor works, but the Sunroof stays in the closed position. I read in another post that I need to take the carpeted cover off the bottom side of the sunroof. Is there a trick to getting the lid off? Any other steps to replace the cables? I've looked in the junkyards near me and have not found a Mazda RX7, or a reatta, so it looks like I'll be reparing this one. The problem with my current one is that it's leaking. I will blow out the drain pipes, but it's a tremendous amount of rust build up in both back corners of the sunroof assembly.

Thanks

Bryan

I would think the best approach is to completely remove the unit from the car.    I think it is 4 or 6 nuts.

Now with it out you can clean the rust and repair......clean the drain tubes and disassemble the slides and cables to determine what replacement parts you need.

I have not checked recently but Mazda did carry replacement parts but they are expensive....I seem to remember about $60 for one cable.

Because of that....finding a RX7 with a donor sunroof is the most economical solution.

The carpeted cover just pops off with a bit of force. It is held in place by plastic posts that snap into the metal underside of the roof ass'y. It is common for the cables to rust in the guide slots. Take the motor drive off of the roof ass'y and work the cables with plenty of liquid lube.

Bad news.. there’s about a 4 inch section under the rails that’s rusted completely through. There are also broken arms on each side that help lift the sunroof up. It’s like they sheared off near the pins. Only one cable works, the other side does nothing

Edited by BGerrells (see edit history)

With your rusted so badly.......look for a complete RX7 unit..........they are almost plug n play.

There are a couple brackets that need to be cut off.....otherwise it bolts in place, you use the Reatta controls and top cover.

Of course if you can find a Reatta that is great but they made a lot more RX7's with sunroofs, so the RX7 should be much easier to find.