New Museum planned for Birdsboro, PA

Below is from today's  Reading Eagle newspaper.  Birdsboro is about 8 miles East of Reading, PA and about 50 miles East of Hershey.  

http://www.readingeagle.com/news/article/work-has-started-on-proposed-exotic-car-museum-in-birdsboro

Regards,

Peter J.

Hello, Phil.

J. P. Mascaro is a huge trash hauling business in Eastern PA.  They are also a huge supporter of various community projects and charitable organizations in the area.  Not certain if plans are still in the making however they own around 600 acres in just outside Birdsboro where an auto race track is/was planned (there is an architects drawing on a sign along Route 724 showing the road course).  A country club for race and sports car owners to have a blast on a road course track to include a clubhouse similar to a golf country club.

Regards,

Peter J.

20 minutes ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

Not certain if plans are still in the making however they own around 600 acres in just outside Birdsboro where an auto race track is/was planned (there is an architects drawing on a sign along Route 724 showing the road course).  A country club for race and sports car owners to have a blast on a road course track to include a clubhouse similar to a golf country club.

Hi Peter,

According to published reports back in July of 2016, The "Liberty Bell Motorsports Park" along route 724 is not proceeding. I also found a Facebook page about this project that has not been updated since 2013.

Thanks for the info about the new museum. Will have to check it out since it is right down the road a few miles from my house.

Charlie

Edited by charlier (see edit history)

10 minutes ago, DAVE A said:

I seem to recall the Mascaro family was attempting to build a raceway in the area a few years back also.  I dealt with them in my former career.  Nice people who have a genuine interest in cars.  

Hi, Dave.  (I think I hit send at the same time as you).  You are correct.  Just thought I would post the article to give people a heads up that this may be something nice for them to visit when in the area.  Add it to all the other auto related venues such as the Boyertown Museum of Historical Vehicles (20 minutes North of Birdsboro), Simeone Museum (Philadelphia), etc.  

2 minutes ago, charlier said:

Hi Peter,

According to published reports back in July of 2016, The "Liberty Bell Motorsports Park" along route 724 is not proceeding. I also found a Facebook page about this project that has not been updated since 2013.

Charlie

Hi, Charlie.  Nice to hear from you.  Agree.  That is why I noted that "Not certain" in my original post as I have not heard anything lately myself.  The museum would a lot better for Union Township in my opinion.  What type of exotic cars they have remains to be seen.  Looking at the race track and club house layout on the sign one had better have very deep pockets to belong.  

Regards,

Peter J.

The thing I remember most from Birdsboro in the many trips through is Fritz's. A large salvage yard loaded with interesting cars from the 30s to the 70s stretching along Rt 422 for about a quarter mile. Fritz never challenged you when you took a self guided tour. He had a few buildings with better cars and mostly automotive antiques and collectables all over the walls and rafters.One day He called me into a room. as I passed through the door there was a hula doll with a grass skirt that raised up and squirted water in my face. Fritz busted up laughing while I had to suppress anger and play along with the gag. It was worth it

• Haha 2

Remember Fritz very well, Dave.  He must have become grumpy in later years.  Some guy stopped to wander through the car lot on a Sunday if I recall.  Fritz showed up pointing a pistol asking what he was doing?  After that his trouble was compounded when electric utility Met-Ed who either owned the land or took it by eminent domain thus putting Fritz out of business.

Old cars are very popular in the Birdsboro area.  I see the Mascaro Museum as a good fit for the area.

Regards,

Peter J.

Barry Seel, Chuck Koehler and I went to Fritz's going out of business auction.  They bought the 2 Crosley wagons he had for 50 bucks each if I remember right.  There was also a sedan there that Fritz would not sell in he auction because he thought it was worth more money.   I wonder what happened to it?

I too remember Fritz as well. Always some interesting vehicles in his yard.

Personally, I would not be surprised if the Township's Junk Car Ordinance had something to do with the Fritz closure.

The township has used that ordinance to clean up a number of properties over the years.

NOT a fan of this ordinance by any means. The current version is VERY detailed and seems to go overboard with some things.

I too believe the new museum will be a nice addition to the area.

Hi, Charlie.  Possibly the junk car ordinance however the expansion of the power transmission operation is currently where the cars were parked.  I recall some sat there for years and suspected at the time he wanted the usual top dollar until the cars just rotted away.

Peter J.

It's sad that there used to be so many places like Fritz's now they're just memories for junk car heads like us.I think there were 3 auctions in stages dwindling down the yard. I was at the last one and a lot of people were looking for cars that were supposed to still be there but were gone.It was assumed that Fritz made side deals or squirrelled them away before hand. I heard he was connected to Matlack a crazy old coot from Glenmoore, Pa and a few other old car squirrellers. Matlack was well known for always dressing in a suit but a scroungy suit and being just generally dirty and unshaven  with a briefcase full of cash handcuffed to his wrist making deals at Hershey. He was the pinnacle of unkempt but he probably had some 500 cars. 

I used to pass by Fritz's frequently when I lived in Pottstown and traveled to Reading and points west.  I stopped there a few times to look around and found Fritz to be a a bit grumpy but a real car guy.  Does anyone else remember the knight's armor that stood by the door?

One of the Mascaro brothers lives near Collegeville and had a few Ferrari's and a Porsche Carrera GT.  He said he loved the Porsche because he could drive it, park it in his garage and the next time he wished to drive it it would always start, unlike the Ferrari's.

• 1 year later...

I've been to Lou mascaros personal garage years ago , he definately has some beautiful exotic cars . He just called me back a few minutes ago and we talked about the museum , he was telling me about a few new acquisitions of late . Their will be some very rare exotic cars their , believe me. 

The museum is progressing. Here is an article from last fall:

https://www.readingeagle.com/news/article/louis-mascaro-i-have-a-passion-for-automobiles

The article says a "spring opening" was planned for the museum. Also, Mascaro said the proposed "Liberty Bell Motorsports Track" is not dead. However, their web address is a Slovenian soccer site.

Phil

Edited by MochetVelo (see edit history)

3 hours ago, MochetVelo said:

The museum is progressing. Here is an article from last fall:

https://www.readingeagle.com/news/article/louis-mascaro-i-have-a-passion-for-automobiles

The article says a "spring opening" was planned for the museum. Also, Mascaro said the proposed "Liberty Bell Motorsports Track" is not dead. However, their web address is a Slovenian soccer site.

Phil

I just did a google search and could not find any updated information about the Museum since this article was published 9 months ago.

Peter, have you seen any updates or have you perhaps driven by the property? I have not been in that area myself for quite a while.

Charlie

Museum is nearing completion of the building , I'm uncertain of the date of opening. I didnt discuss that with lou the other day , he was discussing some new acquisitions to his fleet . But I dont want to spoil it , his collection years ago I got the privilage to see was impressive.  Ferrari f50 , Bugatti eb110ss. Ferrari 288 gto , Lamborghini diablo se. Maserati barchetta , etc