Have you got your antique car tag yet?

Ronnie

( on the ROJ forum)

I'm officially an antique car owner. The  registration was due for my Reatta so I decided to register it as an antique and get a permanent antique tag for it. Tag + fees was $31.11. It is good for as long as I own the car with NO more yearly registration to deal with. I liked my personalized license plate I previously had on it that said "Reatta" on it. I think the antique plate looks a little plain compared to it.

I went with the antique tag for two reasons. One was because I was paying $60 per year for that "Reatta" license plate plus $28 registration fee. I like the idea of paying NO yearly registration fees in the future. The other reason is  because when I go to the local AACA club tours, meetings, etc. all the other old cars have the antique tags on them.  I'm trying to get my Reatta to fit in with Corvairs, T-Birds and the other older looking cars. Maybe the antique tag will help people recognize that I'm In the club and driving an antique car too.

There are some restrictions on how much you can drive an automobile with and antique tag. You can drive all you want on the weekends and go anywhere you want. Through the week you are supposed to limit driving to car shows, tours, etc. but I've been told unofficially by a lot of people that Tennessee law enforcement isn't very strict on people driving antique cars as long as you drive safely. They have better things to do than chase antique cars.

Below is the official rules for driving an antique car in Tennessee. I don't intend to abuse the rules but the last paragraph makes it pretty easy to justify driving most anytime you want.

Quote:Antique Motor Vehicles. Per Tennessee Code Ann. § 55-4-111, a person may register a vehicle as an “antique motor vehicle” providing that certain requirements are satisfied.

The vehicle:
• Must be a motor vehicle over twenty-five (25) years old and have a non-modified engine and body

• Can be used for participation in, or transportation to and from, club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar uses as a collector’s item.

• Can only be used for general transportation on Saturday and Sunday, and

Can be used on any day for the purpose of selling, vehicle testing, or obtaining repairs to or doing maintenance on the vehicle.

Attached Files Click images to enlarge
attachment.php?thumbnail=515  versus SAM_3171.JPG
  • Like 1

Welcome to the club Ronnie! We here in Wisconsin can put plates on at 20 years. I have saved a lot on registration over the years. And we can put unlimited miles oin our cars, just can't drive them in February [which is why the Black has "regular" plates as it is my winter Reatta].

• Like 1

• Ronnie changed the title to Have you got your antique car tag yet?

Yes I have one on my '91 Vert.

Here in BC if the car is 25 years old and in showroom condition you can get one.

I have had the plate since 2010.I got it early as here if you have a car that is low production ( under 500 } it also applies.

Insurance approx a dollar a day for full coverage.

Not driven to work, as I am retired no problem.

No modifications allowed.

Can be driven anytime.

Cal.

• Like 1

My '90 only has an antique tag because I bought it in Tennessee.  The PO installed the tag with bolts, so my current Kansas tag is under the pax seat waiting for me to take the time to care to install it.

In Kansas, I can't get tags until the car is 35 years old, so my 1983s don't qualify until I renew in August.?

Hobbyist license plate 

Hobbyist license plate numbers are assigned to the vehicle owner for a lifetime and the registration does not expire. A letter suffix is added to the number (i.e., 1A, 1B, etc.) for each subsequent hobbyist vehicle owned by the same person. Hobbyist plates cannot be personalized.

Types of hobbyist vehicles

Street modified vehicles

• Must be at least 20 model years old.
  • Can still be recognized as the original vehicle year and make.
  • Are altered from the original vehicle.
  • Are typically known as "hot rods" or "street rods".

Replica vehicles

• Must replicate a vehicle at least 20 model years old.
  • Are reproductions of vehicles originally made by another manufacturer. (Indicate the year and make that the vehicle replicates in Section A of the application.)

Reconstructed vehicles

• Are constructed from a vehicle at least 20 model years old.
  • Are no longer recognizable as the original vehicle.
  • If newly reconstructed, the application must include a bill of sale for all major parts used in the construction of the vehicle.
  • May need an inspection by a Wisconsin State Patrol inspector. You will receive a letter requesting an inspection, if needed.

Homemade motorized vehicles

• Must have been constructed from new or used parts with a body and frame not originating from or resembling a previously manufactured motor vehicle.
  • Homemade motorcycles must replicate a motorcycle 20 or more model years old.
  • May need an inspection by a Wisconsin State Patrol inspector. You will receive a letter requesting an inspection, if needed.

Collector license plate

Vehicles that qualify

A motor vehicle at least 20 years old from the current calendar year that is being preserved because of its historical interest and has no alterations to the body may be eligible for Collector license plates. Please refer to the chart below for examples of alterations; however, please keep in mind this list is not all inclusive. It will be the owner’s responsibility to properly certify if the vehicle has body alterations. Misrepresenting a vehicle’s eligibility could result in citations for improper registration.

This list in not all inclusive.  

Changes made Alteration? Comments
Paint/graphics No
Replacing sheet metal/repairs No As long as it mirrors the original body.
Flared fenders Yes
Louvered hood Yes
Unless owner provides evidence it was a factory available option the year the vehicle was manufactured.
Custom badging/cloning No For example, re-badging a base model Camaro as an SS, not an alteration to change or add badges, graphics, etc.
Ground effects kit Yes* Not an alteration if factory available option offered the year the vehicle was manufactured. It is an alteration if not factory-offered (after market).
Wings/spoilers/hood scoops Yes* Not an alteration if factory available option offered the year the vehicle was manufactured. It is an alteration if not factory-offered (after market).
Lift kits/Lowering kits, wheels, tires No As long as the body wasn’t altered to accommodate larger wheels for lifts, or to accommodate wheels for lowering kits.
Snowplows, trailer hitches, etc. No Accessories such as these are not alterations unless the body of the vehicle had to be altered to accommodate them.
Truck bed conversions  Yes* A 1-ton pickup or larger likely would be delivered without a box, so the bed conversion/addition would not be considered an alteration or modification.
Engine or engine parts No
Windows/glass replacement No
Fender or bumper replacement No
Interior of vehicle (seats, dashboard, radio)  No

*Indicates possible exceptions

All vehicles are required to meet the standards outlined in Wis. Stats. 347 Equipment of Vehicles to legally operate on Wisconsin Highways.

The following former military vehicles also qualify for Collector plates, even if they have been altered or modified:

• GMC DUKW ("Duck") six-wheel drive utility vehicle originally manufactured for use by the U.S. military forces during World War II that is at least 25 years old
  • Humvee multipurpose wheeled vehicle originally manufactured for use by the U.S. military forces that is at least 22 years old
  • Kaiser Jeep M715 that is at least 25 years old
  • Pinzgauer all-terrain, four- or six-wheel drive vehicle that is at least 25 years old

Wow. Wisconsin went all out in describing what is allowed. TN went the opposite direction. They just specify the car has to be over 25 years old and they specify when you can drive it. The rules are pretty lenient.  I don't know anyone who has been stopped for driving with an antique tag.

In AZ. you can get a antique or " plate the same year as the car " ,but the registration is not permernent and has to be renewed every 2-5 years !  What is bad here is once you register a car ,they make you pay the registration fee for every year ,even if you don't use it ! They won't give you a " title only " any more !  You used to be able to get a title only for $4.00 .  Most of the Reatta I have were bought before this law came out ( about 2 or more years ago ) I guess the only way to get out of this is to not apply for a new title ,or if you already have it in your name , tell them you sold it !  ( I am not going to pay every year for a car not used , or a parts car ! )

VIRGINIA'S REQUIREMENTS AND RESTRICTIONS

Antique Motor Vehicles and Trailers

Antique and Vintage License Plates

black antique plate with white letteringyellow antique plate with black lettering

If you own a passenger vehicle, trailer, semi-trailer or motorcycle with a model year that is more than 25 model years old before January 1 of the current calendar year, you've got an antique! Depending on how you plan to use your vehicle, you may choose antique, vintage or any one of our standard license plates. Antique license plates are provided by DMV, while vintage license plates are original Virginia license plates issued prior to 1976 that you provide. Antique vehicles must be insured with motor vehicle liability insurance or you must pay the uninsured motor vehicle fee.

Passenger vehicles and trailers manufactured in or after 1973 are not eligible to use vintage license plates, as DMV began issuing yearly decals for passenger vehicles and trailers in 1973. You will only be able to use antique or standard license plates issued by DMV on those vehicles. If you own a motorcycle, you may be able to provide vintage motorcycle plates that were issued up to 1976. However, if your motorcycle was manufactured in or after 1976, you must use either antique or standard license plates issued by DMV.

Using Your Antique Vehicle Just For Show

If you plan to use your antique vehicle or trailer solely as a collector's item, you may register your vehicle with antique license plates or permanent vintage license plates.

Registering your vehicle either of these ways limits your use of the vehicle to:

• Participation in antique car club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar events.
  • Testing its operation, obtaining repairs or maintenance, selling the vehicle or trailer, transportation to and from events as described in number 1 above and for the occasional pleasure driving not to exceed 250 miles from your residence.
  • Carrying or transporting passengers, personal effects or other antique motor vehicles being transported for show purposes.

You may not use your vehicle for general, daily transportation. This includes, but is not limited to, driving to and from work.

If you are providing vintage license plates, then the year embossed on the license plate must match the model year of the vehicle. In addition, DMV must inspect and approve the physical condition of the vintage plates.

To register your vehicle with antique or permanent vintage license plates, DMV charges a one-time $50 registration fee. Use the Vehicle Registration Application (VSA 14) or the License Plate Application (VSA 10), and the Antique Vehicle Applicant Certification (VSA 10B).

• Your license plates will be valid for as long as you own the vehicle.
  • You may not transfer your license plates to another vehicle, but you may surrender them to DMV and then register them to a different vehicle for an additional fee.
  • Unless the vehicle was manufactured for one license plate only, you must display license plates on the front and the rear of your vehicle.
  • Using the Antique Vehicle Applicant Certification (VSA 10B), you must also certify that you own, or have regular use of, another vehicle, without antique plates, for daily use and that the vehicle or trailer you want to register with antique plates can be driven safely on the highways of Virginia.

If you have additional questions, you may find the answers in our Antique Vehicle FAQs.

Using Your Antique Vehicle For Everyday Driving

In order to enjoy unrestricted driving privileges in your antique vehicle, you'll need to either purchase standard license plates (not antique plates) from DMV or provide vintage license plates and register your antique vehicle for general transportation purposes. No matter which option you choose, you will be subject to the same registration requirements. So, remember, if you choose to use vintage license plates, just like owning a modern vehicle, you'll have to:

• Renew your vehicle registration every year or every other year (depending on whether you renew for one or two years), pay the same registration fee you would pay to purchase standard license plates.
  • Display month and year decals on your vintage license plates.
  • Obtain an annual safety inspection sticker for your vehicle.

If you own another vehicle or trailer of the same model year, you may transfer your general transportation vintage license plates to that vehicle.

Violations of the antique vehicle rules are Class 4 misdemeanors under Virginia Code Section 46.2-730 and will result in the revocation of your antique or permanent vintage license plates for a period of five years from the date DMV is notified of your conviction.

Additional Information

For more details about the use of antique or vintage license plates, visit Virginia Code Section 46.2-730 or check our Antique Vehicle FAQs.

Florida has old car plates but are a plain plate, white on baby blue that I consider rather unattractive. I prefer the regular plate.

Antique or Historic Vehicle plates, for vehicles that:

• Were made after 1945 AND are at least 30 years old, and;
  • Have an engine that is at least 30 years old.

Registration is supposed to be less for an antique. My coupe should be eligible this year.