Minor issues after engine work

Fox W.

Some here may have seen my addition to the thread here:  

Well, annoying the old adage 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'  holds true sometimes.  I went in for a good cleaning and did a lot of stuff on a fine working engine and now it has little things being odd.   

It's hard to explain most of what I feel as it's kinda random and not very significant, plus it could be my new engine mount that makes it feel a bit more rough.. but mainly the data is what concerns me:

The BLM is 100 at idle, 100 at coasting, and between 108 to 112 under load at any speed.

The instant fuel is fine, varying swiftly from 123 to 132

The cross count at idle is 0 to 12 ; and under load tends to be around 3 to 9

(The O2 sensor is new.)

The disturbing part is the knock count, anywhere from just under 400, to just under 600.

I am very meticulous, I went over everything in fine detail and was very careful.  Every sensor is connected and giving data.   No sensor seemed to get damaged during all this but I replaced the O2 sensor for good measure.     Based on the above, what are the first things I could check?   

Edited by Fox W. (see edit history)

Changes to the knock count number is normal. Not that it should keep incrementing upwards while driving, but there is a fair amount of "noise" the sensor picks up when starting the car or small amounts under transient conditions when engine load changes suddenly. It is possible the sensation of greater vibration is being picked up by the sensor? Do the numbers keep changing while driving and does it show any knock retard?

+1 they do rattle a bit on startup and may see a few when accelerating from a stop as the timing retards from economy to power. Just means it is doing its job. OTOH if you see increments when cruising then it needs to be checked out. May just be some bad gas.

Thanks,  so those super high numbers are not a problem?   The answer to if it increases while driving is no, I've never seen it increment in real-time.  What about the BLM, does that indicate I'm running lean?

My other new issue is that it doesn't start on first, sometimes even second try, it feels like a fuel delivery issue and I also notice the pump sounds much lower frequency, almost strained when it primes at accessory/on.   I had replaced the fuel filter,  I wonder if it's defective.  Volume seems fine though, as I can go to 100Mph no problem.

The Block Learn is doing its job by keeping the Integrator in the correct range, but, it indicates it is reducing fuel to compensate, so it would indicate excess fuel. A larger than stock injector, fuel pressure too high or possibly one or more leaky injectors could cause this. The first place to check is pull the vacuum line from the pressure regulator and check for fuel leaking through the diaphragm. Another oddball place for pulling a combustible fluid is the vacuum modulator at the transaxle but very rare. Check the fuel pressure if you have a gauge. Dave's suggestion is a good one.

Oh ok,  it's true that I do believe these Bosch gen3s are a higher rating than the stock injectors are..  (I didn't do these injectors recently, did these in 2012) I just never looked at my BLM before this issue to see what was normal for my setup, oh well.  

25 minutes ago, Fox W. said:

Oh ok,  it's true that I do believe these Bosch gen3s are a higher rating than the stock injectors are..  (I didn't do these injectors recently, did these in 2012) I just never looked at my BLM before this issue to see what was normal for my setup, oh well.  

That would explain the low BLM. The Bosch type 3 are available in 19# rating which would be stock. It sounds like they may be in the 22#-24# range, if everything else is working properly as mentioned before. If they are, it may run a bit rich when in open loop unless the flow rate is adjusted in the EEPROM.

Some more data:

Issues are: takes 2 or 3 tries to start, then runs normal. 

Sometimes after driving,  idle is high, 1050rpm in neutral. 

Tps at idle .44

Mat: 55

Iac: 46

Air flow 6.3

Blm 100

Spk angle is always 0

Deg spark is 23 at idle, 25 under high load, between 43 to 50 when driving normally,  and 32 when coasting down.

My water temp is 197 when driving and always 200 to 203 at idle. It used to be lower but maybe that's the new thermostat. 

The engine feels more shakey at idle and shuts off with more of a shake, but I'm not sure still if that's the new crappy engine mount or not.

You have probably said before,  what is the fuel pressure when the problems are happening? Also, the next time it is hard to start, push the gas pedal to the floor and hold it there. See if that helps. Doing that will tell the ECM the engine is flooded and it will stop making the mixture richer during startup.

40 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

You have probably said before,  what is the fuel pressure when the problems are happening? Also, the next time it is hard to start, push the gas pedal to the floor and hold it there. See if that helps. Doing that will tell the ECM the engine is flooded and it will stop making the mixture richer during startup.

I need an external gauge for the pressure right?   I'll test it.

Also, the temp, related or not, is high I think.  I just had it randomly decide to go to 210, then 213, after only 4min of idling. The engine surged a little and it didn't go lower until I started moving.  I had already burped the system too.  I really don't know what's up.  I tried spraying around my intake manifold for leaks and the RPM didn't change, so it doesn't seem like I have a leak there.

Tested fuel pressure at rail, getting 36psi, idle.   I didn't test under load.  I reved it up in neutral and it raised it slightly.    Before turning the engine over, the pressure from the pump-prime goes to about 9psi and then quickly falls off.

6 hours ago, Fox W. said:

Before turning the engine over, the pressure from the pump-prime goes to about 9psi and then quickly falls off.

I think you have found the problem that is keeping the engine from starting right up as it should. I just tested the pressure on my car to confirm. After sitting over night the gauge showed 0 psi. I turned the key to the run position without starting the engine. I turned the key off after the pump whet through the prime cycle. The pressure jumped to 41 psi and held steady. After 10 minutes the pressure was still at 34 psi .

The last time I remember someone having a quick pressure drop after the prime cycle the problem was a bad connection between the Pulsator and the fuel pump allowing pressure to quickly escape back into the tank.  If you do a search you can probably find a long thread about it.  If that is the problem you can replace the Pulsator with a rubber hose if you choose to do so

The problem could be a bad fuel pump or regulator as well. You should run all the pressure tests on ROJ and see what results you get. Fuel Pressure Testing

fuel_pump_dis-assembly-3.jpg  Dorman-replacacement.jpg

Alright, I'll focus on my fuel issue then. However it would seem logical for me to focus on 'what changed' last, rather than something totally new.  This happened right after I did all that work, which never included anything in the tank.  So I need to at first keep my focus under the hood, and no further than the fuel filter (which I replaced) ;  the filter isn't leaking.  I will check injector seals to the rail.  

Thanks!

It's quite a nice gauge.  In any case, it holds about 40psi with the pump-prime connected, and about 37psi with the engine running, but all the pressure quickly drains right out to the tank (I believe) when the pump is off.  The pressure increases a few psi with the regulators vacuum line disconnected, so I believe the FPR is working fine.   It still feels hard to believe this was just a coincidence after I did all that work, but I suppose it may just be.. especially since the hard starting issue didn't happen the first few times I used it after..  but it did happen after I replaced the fuel filter. (which is not leaking.)    So I guess next I need to drop the fuel tank.  I wish it were possible to get a whole new assembly because I figure I'll have some rust on the lines. 

IMG_20180531_2225132.jpg

Was there any gas in the regulator vacuum line ? Your pressures sound low and the quick drop off says there is a leak somewhere. If hard starting and stumbles a bit that could indicate a leaky injector.

Another reader suggested a sender assembly  from eBay.

No gas was in the vacuum line for the regulator.     If it's a leaky injector, where would it leak from? The bottom in to the plenum?  These injectors were totally perfect before removal, and were removed all together (I never removed them from the fuel rail) gently. They are new as of 2012, so that would be another new coincidence. I thought we established  a bad pulsator dampener or  a fuel-pump check valve was most likely based on my symptoms?    It does hard start, but that's because there is no prime-pressure, I wouldn't say it really stumbles at all, just starts as if there isn't enough fuel for the first 3 seconds of cranking and then starts suddenly and normally.  I will try to keep the fuel rail connected to the lines at the same time as all 6 injectors are out of the plenum, and I can then run the pump and inspect for leaks.

• 3 months later...

I was away on a trip for the whole Summer, back now.    Upon returning I have so far pulled the rail/injectors while still all connected up and run the pump to find none of the injectors leak at all.   I then dropped the tank, replaced the dampener thing along with the fuel pump,  connected it all back up, same thing.   So now I'm really needing help..  The only thing I had done related to fuel before this started was replace the filter.   The regulator is now the only original thing, but it passed the tests (changes pressure based on vacuum, and no fuel leaks out of the vacuum line, even when the pump is running)   Do our fuel filters have a check valve??   I'm really confused what's next.   My old pump seemed to properly be only 1-way when I tested it, so its own check valve seemed fine.

Using the proper fittings, I would connect the gauge directly to the pressure line coming from the pump eliminating the regulator and fuel rail as the source of the problem. IF the pump pressure still drains down quickly - fuel leaking at the rubber seal/connector between the Pulsator and the pump is likely the problem.

fuel_pump_dis-assembly-3.jpg

I have a slightly used fuel pressure regulator for my 88 that I will send you for postage only.  I replaced it as I had a leak at the connection to the return fuel line.  I then found out that I had chewed up the threads on the fuel line. The regulator came from NAPA.

PM me with your address and I will send it to you.

• Like 1

No worries, I already picked up a new one last night for $18, it should arrive in a couple days.   I guess the only other thing to do is submerge the pickup assembly fully in water and do 20psi in to the outlet and look for bubbles, as per the shop manual.

image.thumb.png.d20b3c737f5fa59cabc44ee9fee2c772.png

I disconnected the return line from the regulator and put a cup under the regulator output and ran the pump.  Fuel shot out instantly and when I stopped the pump it kept draining out.  Is this abnormal?  I would think that it would not let the fuel drain out unless it was ~>40psi.  

I haven't tested a regulator in that way with fuel but I have applied air pressure and it did not leak air until near the set point in the low 40#'s. It will be interesting to see if replacing the regulator helps. I am experiencing similar issues, nothing from the injectors, no fuel in vacuum line, replaced regulator and problem persists. I don't really want to drop the tank but looking like it. Oh yeah, fuel pressure is normal and responds normally to vacuum, but extended cranking at irregular intervals.

The regulator seems to have two functions really.  Without it, the return flow is wide open.. So its function isn't just to vary the pressure based on its vacuum with the diaphragm, it also is supposed to prevent fuel flow back entirely when it's below 40psi.    The thing is, the new one I put on did mostly fix the problem.  But it's still not quite in spec I don't think.. though it is good enough.  I hear it open at 40psi, but then it fairly quickly tends to still bleed down to 30psi, and from there very slowly bleeds down to 5psi, but still much faster than I hear some people say.. Some say their rail holds 40psi for a day or more.  *shrug*   I -thoroughly- tested the input line (output from pump) and it is not flowing back with that path, not even slightly.

I submerged my assembly in water,  and blew 20psi in to the out, and zero bubbles or pressure loss.   I also put a block-off bolt in to the regulators' output for the return line,  just entirely block that off, I ran the pump for half a second to charge the rail to 40psi and there was zero loss.  Therefore all my loss is through the return, through the regulator.    In any case the car starts, runs and drives great now, so I'm happy.  BUT, my damn fuel sending unit doesn't work right now, it reads I have an 1/8th when I have a full tank. gerrrrr. Maybe from the water test, I don't know, but it's unhappy now.   I dread dropping the tank all over again, what a pain in the #*@.  

My unit has two short lines, and the vapor is a long steel line.  On the other side there are rubber lines that mate to these.   Delphi HP10010 seems to be the closest new replacement match I can find.  It's vapor line is short but you can just use rubber for that anyway.

Anyone know if that unit will fit right with our lines?

• 2 months later...

I think you will find that repairing your existing sending unit is easier (and cheaper) than trying to find a good used unit.

GM used the same sending unit parts on most of their cars back then,  so by finding a decent unit, you can move it to your assembly.

Usually one of the two parts shown below has failed.

The first part is the wiper......the long part rubs against the wire wrapped on the strip shown in the second picture.

The wiper is pretty fragile and the wiper may not be touching the wire wrap or it is broken and I have seen the two small wipers broken.

The wire wrap sometimes has an "open" and that will cause the gage not to function .....

DSCN1717.JPG

winding-1.JPG

• 5 weeks later...