Replacing Body Mounts

I have a 1961 Chevy Impala 2 dr bubble top. I need to replace the body mounts. I need some help on how to figure out how to lift the body off the frame. My plan is to raise the body just high enough to get new mounts in. I am not in a position to do a total frame off restoration and only have a one car garage to work in. I was thinking of putting a floor jack under each rocker (2x4 placed along the length of the rocker to displace the weight) and raise the body just high enough to do my work on the mounts. Is this a feasible idea?? Any ideas on how to support the body long term so I can remove the jacks? Say cinder blocks or 6x6 timbers? Maybe a stack of blocks on each end of the rockers? Are the rockers strong enough to support this weight? Thanks very much for any ideas.

All you really need are 4x4 timbers between the frame and the body. Cut some 2x4 pieces of wood and use as spacers between the frame and the body.So your setup goes like this. A 4x4 cut to fit under the body resting on the frame.Cut the 4x4 to span the frame rails and fit just inside the body. Do not extend beyond body panels. Then use the cut 2x4's to take up the space between the 4x4 and the underbody. As for jacking the body off the frame you can lift it with an engine hoist. Be very carful where you hook the hoist up. Make sure you pick a solid point.From the rear you can take the drain plugs out of the trunk. Run a 2x4 under the trunk pan.(you will need to remove the fuel tank) Screw eye hooks into the 2x4 from inside the trunk to tie a cable to to lift the rear of the car. Or just jack from underneath.If you jack from underneath go width wise across the floor reinforcement brackets. Either way be careful not to distort any sheet metal. The floor board sheet metal will dent if you try to lift the car directly from that panel. Do a test lift first.

• 2 weeks later...