3800 series 1 temperature sending unit location???

What year? There is only one temperature sending unit on the '90 and it is located below and slightly behind the center of the throttle body. The computer does all the work.

Thought I was specific enough, sorry.

Buick 3800 V6 3.8 SERIES I, 1988, 1989, .........

That's why I posted the "PS"

Nothing to do with the computer, not talking about the <span style="font-weight: bold">coolant tempature sensor</span> with 2 wires (yellow/black) under the throttle body.

I'm looking for the <span style="font-weight: bold">coolant tempature sending unit</span> for the gauge/light with a single wire.

Thanks anyways though.

Let me try this again........

I'm looking for the <span style="font-weight: bold">Coolant Temperature Sending Unit</span> on the Buick 3800 V6 SERIES I (1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, etc.) This <span style="font-weight: bold">unit</span> is for the temp gauge/light on the dash and is a <span style="font-weight: bold">single</span> wire connector.

This is <span style="font-weight: bold">NOT</span> to be confused with the <span style="font-weight: bold">Coolant Temperature Sensor</span>, which is a <span style="font-weight: bold">sensor</span> for the computer and consists of two wires (yellow & black) under the throttle body.

Any help is very much appreciated...

Had a "C" 3800 completely apart some time ago and only remember one coolant temperature sensor, the one under the throttle assembly. Might be a level sensor on the radiator but not at home as usual.

Is also an intake air temperature sensor in the air cleaner assembly.

Guest Brolliar

Hi, I think you are asking what turns on the dash temp light. On an 89 Reatta the temp sensor on the engine sends it's signal to the ECM (Engine Control Module). The ECM sends it's information on to the BCM (Body Computer Module). The BCM sends it's info on to the IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster) which turns on the temp light when needed.

Hope this helps some.

I thought that might be why I can't find it.

Strange thing is......

I have a 1988 Delta 88 FE3 with the 3800. Car has warning lights and not gauges. (gauges were available, $66.00 option)

I installed AC Delco aftermarket gauges from a 1988 Chevy Caprice police car.

Can't use the exsisting sending unit (for the dash light) because it won't work with a gauge. Need one for a gauge. So I went to the parts store to get a new sending unit to work properly and accuratly with the new gauges I installed.

NAPA and the Olds Dealership both have a listing for these parts.....

- sending unit for light

- sending unit for analog gauge

- sending unit for digital gauge

..... and the dealership shows on screen the location of my sending unit on the side of the block next to the starter. To make things even more interesting and confusing the LeSabre T-Type (identical car) has theirs located under the throttle body next to the Coolant Temp Sensor.

Now..... When I look on my vehicle there is not one to be found!

Under the throttle body is a square headed plug next to the Coolant Temp Sensor, and on the block next to the starter is a square headed plug.

Mine "appears" to be set up like the Reatta system like Brolliar mentioned, yet it goes against everything the Dealership, Parts Store, and sister models have.

Frustrated and confused..........

Somebody's info is wrong somewhere.

Find the block mounted sending unit unlikely (not impossible), are mounted high on the engine either in the head or intake manifold. There is a block heater that is sometimes mounted low but not the sensor.

Has to do with where the highest temperatures are seen.

Just had the starter off our '90 Bonneville (3800 "C") and do not recall seeing any sensors there.

What a mess.....

Went back to NAPA to triple check. Guy said the one they gave me yesterday is wrong, 2 of the # were backwards on the part number. This would explain the oversized sending unit I was holding. They ordered the "so called" correct one and will be in tomorrow.

Went to the shop where I used to work years ago to look in the component locater books. Just so happened to be a late 80's early 90's Park Ave there with digital gauges. I looked under the hood and there it was...... a single wire connector to the Coolant Sending Unit located under the throttle body next to the Coolant Temp Sensor.

On my car it has a plug in that location. My "guess" is that if equipped with a light it gets the info from the ECM, and if equipped with a gauge it has it's own Sending Unit. That would explain mine having the plug being equipped with a light.

What really makes be pissed is all the wasted time.

I asked that NAPA guy yesterday to double check it and cross reference it to a LeSabre to see if it's the right one, he says.... "yep that it" ..... whatever.

Then to make things even worse I have lost all faith in the Dealership. I have had 3 different Dealerships tell me 3 different things.

Unreal. All this BS over a VERY simple component. What a waste of time.

We'll see tomorrow at noon what comes in at NAPA.

• 19 years later...

I'm working on a 1986 Olds Delta 88 with a 3000, basically a down sized 3800. The 2 wire temp sending unit on this is located slightly above the water pump and toward the front of the engine, under the alternator. Hope this helps.

10 hours ago, Keith Wills said:

I'm working on a 1986 Olds Delta 88 with a 3000, basically a down sized 3800. The 2 wire temp sending unit on this is located slightly above the water pump and toward the front of the engine, under the alternator. Hope this helps.

Welcome, Keith, and thanks for the info.  The original post is 20 years old. I hope he does not still need that info though others may.

Ben