Broke a Promise

chuckfmtexas

Well, I promised my wife that I was not going to buy a car at Mecum Indy where I am this week. Intended to just have fun watching others spend money and a lot of nice Buicks changing hands. Yesterday I broke my promise.

I was thumbing through a catalog of The Maryland Collection, 47 cars being sold at 'No Reserve' and noticed a 1921 Buick Touring car for sale. I walked to the display and was blown away by this wonderful car that had been restored over the years and looked awesome. In the back seat was a 3 ring binder full of the car's history including history back to early 60's, complete restoration receipts from 1979-80 and later by the renowned White Post Restorations of White Post, VA.

After reading about the car and work done I decided to check with a friend that knows early Buicks on pricing to confirm what I thought the car might be worth. We were both on the same page so I decided to bid on the car and after spirited bidding, I won the car. I am thrilled as it will be a fun car for family, shows, parades etc. Apparently there are very few 1921 Buicks left, especially in this condition. The car had been sitting in a 100+ car collection in Maryland for more than 10 years and after the passing of the father in 2017, the family decided to liquidate the collection, hence my lucky day.

Called the wife and explained what I had done, then sent photos and she forgives me since she loves the older, antique cars.

Buicks forever 

Chuck

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

• Like 18

I worked at White Post during the late 80's.  The quality of work was superb.  When a car left there, it was rebuilt down to the last nut and bolt, and drove like a new car.

I know what you paid, and it's a fraction of what the restoration would have cost, even back then.  Well bought, I know you'll enjoy it.....I almost think I worked on this car, but you'd have to have receipts from 1988-1990 for that to be true.....

I decided  to start working on and buying the parts to fix my old cars After my Dad  retired when he turned 66 And did not see his first cheek .I spent 2 weeks not working first time in my whole life I stopped working . I looked at all he had done worked 7 days a week building a construction company . building  houses all his life 

never took enough time off to play . So I decided to play with all my antiques pin ball machines, Old Buick's , my old hot rod's  that I have been ignoring . I am GLAD TO SEE YOU    " BROKE A PROMISE " GOOD JOB !!!!!

-kyle

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2018 at 9:28 PM, trimacar said:

I worked at White Post during the late 80's.  The quality of work was superb.  When a car left there, it was rebuilt down to the last nut and bolt, and drove like a new car.

I know what you paid, and it's a fraction of what the restoration would have cost, even back then.  Well bought, I know you'll enjoy it.....I almost think I worked on this car, but you'd have to have receipts from 1988-1990 for that to be true.....

Thanks for the encouraging words.  I have probably have  20+ letters and invoices from "Billy", owner of White Post in the file documenting the restoration, invoices, explanation of things White Post did over the years including a letter that apologizes for having to raise labor rates from $17.50 to $20.00 to keep his good people and cost of living increases.  I am going to copy everything and make a complete history book and perhaps write an article for the Bugle.  The car was featured on the cover of the March 1981 Bugle and there was a letter inside giving the history of where the owner found the car etc.  There is a letter in the file from the owner to Billy saying he paid for $275 in the late 50's or early 60's but I have to get home from Indy and re-read it all.  I sent Pete Phillips, Bugle editor, photos of the car before I bid on the car and we discussed condition and price range.  He and I were on the same page on price range so I felt good when I got it at what I considered a good price.  With a few cosmetic upgrades it will be like it just came out of the restoration process.  Engine purrs and starts easy.

More when I get the car delivered to Fort Worth and I get to know it better.

Chuck 

Edited by chuckfmtexas (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2018 at 9:28 PM, trimacar said:

Update: Turns out the car was back at White Post every 2-3 years for carb cleanout and tune up plus other minor things to keep it in great condition.  I have receipts into the late 90's.

• Like 1

Chuck, 

Those 6-Cylinder engines were hard to beat for smoothness and dependability.  It looks like you have a real winner in this one.  You had ought to try and bring it to Oklahoma City in 2019.  I think everyone here agrees that you did real good.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas