1955 Chrylser Windsor

Goffer 57

Hi, welcome to the forums. If you are wanting to buy an engine for your car it would be helpful to know where you are located. There are people on here from many parts of the world so it would good to narrow down the region. We love pictures, so please post a few of your car,

Original engine was a 301 cu in Chrysler Polysphere V8 with Powerflite automatic. You do not state whether you still have the transmission. This type engine was used in Chrysler Windsor and Saratoga from 1955 to 1958. They will not interchange with earlier or later engines. A 1955 - 58 Chrysler engine will fit. This includes the Hemi head engines used in Imperial and New Yorker, but they are very scarce and expensive so let's forget about them.

Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto are all different and will not interchange.

If you want to swap in a 318 it can be done if you include the appropriate transmission. Up to 1964 they have the pushbutton transmission and parking brake on the transmission.

There is room for a larger engine like a 383 or 440. But if you use a transmission later than 64 you will have to change the rear axle to one equipped for handbrake use, and I am not sure if it is possible to convert the later trans to pushbuttons. In other words it can be done but will take some hand work and adapting.

So, easiest is the 55-58 Chrysler Polysphere V8. Others will take more work but will fit into the engine compartment.

Double down on trying to find the original engine. Seems like it may have been pulled for a rebuild that never happened. Any other reason would be hard to justify. It just might be floating around some garage in Wisconsin or next to one. You will be farther ahead.

It might be another case where he needs a tuneup and oil change and Gomer down at the filling station tells him to put in a Chevy small block because that is all he knows.  On the other hand the rod could be sticking through the block (unlikely). Or someone took the engine out and lost it but the transmission and torque converter are with the car. Or engine and trans are gone.

Or maybe he just wants more horsepower, or thinks he does. All these are different problems with different solutions. But it is too much trouble to type out a couple of lines of explanation. We are supposed to do an Amazing Kreskin and guess what he wants. Or write a long novel with the solution to every possible question.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Flat Top has a point about looking for the engine in a garage . I know someone who was the new owner restoring a car after the original owner died . The new owner found most of the missing rebuilt parts which the original owner had sent out for repair in a 50 mile radius of where the car the car was . He assembled the car with the found parts .

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

The OP is long gone. He gave us almost no information and less than an hour and when he didn't get the answer he wanted right away he blew.  This is typical, given a little more information and time we could come up with some good suggestions but who has time for that. I'll bet Gomer down at the filling station is cramming a Chev 350 in there right now.

• Like 2

Newcomer: I'd like to cut my leg off and replace it with a wooden peg. Can you guys help me?

Member 1: Maybe it's not a good idea to do that. Can you tell us what's wrong with your leg and maybe we can give you a better solution. You probably dont need to do such a drastic thing. Original legs are often just as good as peg legs and hey, you already have them so it's probably a cheaper solution. 

Member 2: Or if you're really set on doing such a thing, here are some sites that will help you with the job. We don't really do that around here. We like real legs, not peg legs.

Member 3: I have a few wooden pegs you can use if that helps. I've seen some successful peg legs in the past.

Member 4: Hello? Are you still there? Can you give us any details or feedback at all? We're investing time and effort trying to help you improve your ambulatory situation here.

Member 5: you could also use steel or fiberglass. Don't limit yourself to a wooden peg, although just keeping your real leg is still probably the easiest choice.

Newcomer: <crickets>

Member 6: Chased another one away. We could use more peg legs in our no peg legs club. Shame on you guys for not encouraging him to cut off his leg. If we dont embrace peg legs, our "no peg legs" club will die. You dont want to lose the "only natural legs" club you love so much, do you?

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Ray Caldwell was a local, itinerant, car salesman around what is called the Genesee Country of western New York (Grimy, this story can be verified). When he taught is children to drive he warned them to be particularly cautious when driving near Chrysler vehicles, he claimed the owners had demonstrated poor judgement in the past.

I understand the company was sold to German investors at some point.

Bernie

3 hours ago, ted sweet said:

attitudes like matts  are why some of my friends wont join the aaca. ithey feel if car isn't 100 perfect original you are not wanted

xerZm4q.jpg

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good, Ted. If your friends who won't join have cars with incorrect engines in them and they're afraid someone in the AACA will call them out on it, well, this really isn't the club for them. If you'll read the original post carefully, the guy was asking about putting a modern engine in his old car. That is clearly not what the AACA is about, although several members did try to help him anyway. Engine swaps are NOT what this club stands for and I don't know why people get so bent out of shape about that fact. Do you get all righteously indignant when you take your 1966 Mustang to a Corvette show and they say, "Sorry, this isn't the right place for that car?" Or do you stupidly force them to accept your Mustang anyway because you think they're a bunch of snobs who need to come down a peg?

I don't care about perfection or absolute authenticity (take a look at my thread where I'm putting farking Chevy small block headers on my straight-8 Buick), but this isn't the place nor the club for guys looking to do engine swaps. Period. I personally own cars with engine swaps, I've done engine swaps on many cars, but I don't force them into this club or this forum and I don't begrudge the membership for not being into it. There are other clubs and forums for that and the AACA doesn't need to change its mission statement just to accommodate guys who don't feel like being a part of it the way it is. All clubs don't have to be all things to all people, you know.

I'm sorry that you feel that Mustangs should be part of the Corvette club, and I'm sorry your friends are bitter that they can't take their Mustangs to Corvette shows. But nobody chased anybody off except you putting a nasty spin on the membership by casting us as purists with pitchforks instead of guys gently trying to help someone by pushing him in the right direction. Can you honestly claim that it's easier to swap a modern engine into an old car rather than putting a correct engine back in? That's all anyone suggested.

Sorry, Ted, but you're the guy who made it about purity tests while sitting on his high horse tsk-tsking everyone else.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tinindian said:

Be true to yourself.

Was that Socrates or Plato? I always get their arguments mixed up. I'm thinking Plato, but it has been going on for a couple of thousand years.

? Just kidding. I know

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

On 5/15/2018 at 4:50 PM, Rusty_OToole said:

It might be another case where he needs a tuneup and oil change and Gomer down at the filling station tells him to put in a Chevy small block because that is all he knows.  On the other hand the rod could be sticking through the block (unlikely). Or someone took the engine out and lost it but the transmission and torque converter are with the car. Or engine and trans are gone.

Or maybe he just wants more horsepower, or thinks he does. All these are different problems with different solutions. But it is too much trouble to type out a couple of lines of explanation. We are supposed to do an Amazing Kreskin and guess what he wants. Or write a long novel with the solution to every possible question.

You could be a bit kinder.  Having a bad day?  Sorry, but the gentleman just asked a simple question.

I am trying to be kind. The OP came here for advice. But he did not give us enough information to go on. Apparently he thinks "parts is parts" and there is some common, late model engine that is a direct replacement for his original 1955 Chrysler V8. There isn't. There are many ways to fix or replace a bad engine. If we knew exactly what the situation is we may be able to give him some good ideas. It is frustrating to try to help someone who won't make any effort. Apparently in his mind, he should be able to ask a one line question and get a magic answer in less than 1 hour. It doesn't work that way.

On a more philosophical level, what should one do when you see someone running toward a cliff intending to jump? Perhaps it is a cliff you have jumped off yourself. Perhaps multiple times. Perhaps you know there are sharp rock outcroppings halfway down, and a river full of piranha at the bottom.

What do you do in a situation like that? Tell him not to do it and be perceived as a snob who looks down on people who jump off of cliffs? Do you say "here, let me help you!" and give him a push? I don't know about you guys, but I usually stay out of it.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

On 5/15/2018 at 12:28 PM, Goffer 57 said:

Hi, I have a 1955 Chrysler Windsor- no motor. Does anyone know of a swap (318??) that can be used in this car? Thanks!

I personally thought it was a simple question.  You're ragging on him.  Give him a break.  Would you like to be treated like that?  

As someone who spent most of my young life fixing up and hotrodding Mopars, I have to say that is a simple question with an answer that would go on for 27 pages. I'm not even sure I could answer it today. I could have when I was 18 years old...

Chrysler's engineers were "taking it to the next level" literally every year during that period. There is not general interchangeability with a few simple engine swap rules like there could be with say, flathead fords or post 1955 Chevrolets. That sort of interchangeablity begins in roughly 1966 in Chrysler products.

It is a simple question. Too simple. There is no good answer for it. The simple answer is "NO". The slightly more complicated answer is "1955 - 57 Chrysler Windsor". To give a good answer requires more information. Does he still have the original engine? Is the rod sticking through the block? Does he have the original transmission?  Is his main interest swapping in an engine with more horsepower? Why did he put (318) in brackets? Does he have a 318? What year? Does it come with matching transmission? Is he a talented mechanic with a fully equipped garage and machine shop? Failing that, does he have unlimited money to pay for hand work by experts? What is his goal with the car? Hot rod, show winning restoration, something to tool around in on nice days?

That is only scratching the surface. I have plenty of answers. Too bad about the questions.

• Like 1

No problem.  However, you very nicely answered his question with your first reply.  You should have left it at that.  This is another example of why people don't want anything to do with finicky old men that have no ability to communicate in a kind way.  As I have preached many times before, it is another reason why our youth wants no part of old cars.  Sadly, it seems old cars means anal retentive old men that just want to be prickly.  Enjoy your rants and don't wonder why they don't hang out here.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:33 AM, 60FlatTop said:

Ray Caldwell was a local, itinerant, car salesman around what is called the Genesee Country of western New York (Grimy, this story can be verified).

I'm convinced that all your stories can be "verified", Bernie.  But are the verifications CREDIBLE????

Just back from a wonderful 5-day tour on the Olympic Peninsula of Washington State with the Nickel Era Touring Registry, including a few members of this forum I was glad to meet for the first time but hopefully not the last.

On 5/19/2018 at 8:16 AM, Matt Harwood said:

Newcomer: I'd like to cut my leg off and replace it with a wooden peg. Can you guys help me?

Member 1: Maybe it's not a good idea to do that. Can you tell us what's wrong with your leg and maybe we can give you a better solution. You probably dont need to do such a drastic thing. Original legs are often just as good as peg legs and hey, you already have them so it's probably a cheaper solution. 

Member 2: Or if you're really set on doing such a thing, here are some sites that will help you with the job. We don't really do that around here. We like real legs, not peg legs.

Member 3: I have a few wooden pegs you can use if that helps. I've seen some successful peg legs in the past.

Member 4: Hello? Are you still there? Can you give us any details or feedback at all? We're investing time and effort trying to help you improve your ambulatory situation here.

Member 5: you could also use steel or fiberglass. Don't limit yourself to a wooden peg, although just keeping your real leg is still probably the easiest choice.

Newcomer: <crickets>

Member 6: Chased another one away. We could use more peg legs in our no peg legs club. Shame on you guys for not encouraging him to cut off his leg. If we dont embrace peg legs, our "no peg legs" club will die. You dont want to lose the "only natural legs" club you love so much, do you?

Rusty: Can you give us some information? Why do you want a peg leg? Is your original leg missing? One or both? Amputated above or below the knee?

Newcomer: I'm  32 years old and live in Alabama. My favorite color is blue. I still have both legs. My toenails are so long I can't put my shoes on and Gomer down at the filling station says I should have my legs cut off and put on Chev 350 artificial ones.

Rusty: You don't need new legs. Get a nail clipper from the drug store and cut your nails and your shoes will fit .

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

I understand you’re nuts,  we all are for being in this hobby, but writing posts to yourself, about yourself, makes me think you need special help beyond what the rest of us goofy guys need. I say guys as we all know the ladies on this forum are the only ones with any sense 

Dave S