USL Type E-177 Manual Needed

steamfins

Hi,

Working on my Mercer 22-70 and was wondering if anyone had a copy of the manual or wiring diagram for a USL Starter Generator Type E-177 (It's stamped with that model # on the aluminum casting.) I have a Type E-197 Manual but the units appear to be quite different...

Any insight is appreciated.

Steamfins

I have a wiring diagram for that,  and I will ask my son to scan it and put it in my pictures to send to you if you care to give your email address by Private Message. I recall Ralph Buckley commented to me about these in Sept 1980.  Morris Burrows also warned of them same trip.  So you probably know to keep the revs down, so you do not tangle the windings,    You may be able to re-coat and stabilize these by saturating them with an air-hardening phenolic with good dielectric strength.   I understand the problem induced them to make the Raceabouts with a plain flywheel,  and rely on the "Armstrong Starter".   Bob Sohl in Cakifornia restored his 1915 Sporting to pebble beech standard;  so he may be worth consulting in case he still has information.    Bob told me he sold it because the brakes were too lazy for a calm and peaceful mind in modern traffic.

I sent you a private message.

Yes, the USL Starting system does limit the revs of the motor so it's not ideal for a racing setup.  

I've read a lot about the brakes being an issue but that's not the case on my car. Both the driveshaft brake and the internal expanding rear wheel brakes are great. I know brake lining material can play a big part in this. The factory driveshaft brake was a known issue because the front u-joint mounts right inside the brake drum and it would spray grease on the brakes basically making them useless. A collection of shields/covers were added to my car sometime ago to prevent this from happening.

Appreciate the help.

Steamfins