Transmission or shift linkage

nickg112

I have a 1941 Lincoln Continental V12 that seems to need a linkage adjustment. It is jammed in 1st gear and I cannot release it. Looking through service manuals and all information that I have on the car and cannot find anything on this subject. Can anyone guide me in the right direction? Where can I find information on the subject. Thank you

It could be that the linkage is jammed at the steering column end. Disconnect the rods going to the shift levers at the transmission and then try to move the transmission shift levers to neutral. If this works, you will have to replace the bushings at both ends of the rods. If it does not work, you may have to remove the transmission and rebuild the shift levers.

CHANCES ARE IT NEEDS LUBE---UNLESS SOMEONE  LOOSENED THE LOCK NUTS, CHANGED THE ADJUSTMENT ON THE RODS.(UNLIKELY)

SPRAY THE SHIFT LEVERS WITH BRAKE CLEAN , PUT GREASE GUN ON NIPPLE AND PUMP----

--IF GEAR IS JAMMED...LOOK AT THE LEVERS ON THE COLUMN UNDER HOOD AT FIREWALL------TRY TO PUT THEM ALL IN THE NEUTRAL

ALL EVEN POSITION---OR, FIGURE CAR IS IN FIRST,  ONLY ONE LEVER SHOULD BE UP OR DOWN, FOR 1 GEAR---IF THE WONT MOVE, HAVE FRIEND

ROCK CAR OR PRESS CLUTCH TO RELIEVE GEAR TRAIN TENSION THAT MAY BE HOLDING GEARS (ENGINE OFF)

DO NOT FORCE ANYTHING---LOOK AND UNDERSTAND WHICH LEVER IS WHICH--GREY PHOTO IS MY CAR, I ALWAYS PARK IN REV--THAT MUST BE THE RAISED LEVER--SO FIRST WOULD BE THAT LEVER DOWN..SEE WHAT YOURS IS...

SHIFTER.JPG

Flathead_Gearshift_1940-48car.jpg

Edited by Mssr. Bwatoe (see edit history)

1st thing! always do the simplest thing  first!   Mssr. Bwatoe covers this problem right on. In the early 60's I had a 1953

Plymouth Conv. which if I would put it in reverse and back up a slight incline ,such as a driveway ; it would lockup. The 

fix each time was , turn off engine, lift  the hood , line up the 2 short horizontal  arm assy. In your car (06H-7302,06H-7303. )

This may be temporary fix.