Now I can Throw away the Crowbar

ROD W

Rod,

I have one also and it is the best. I think it is one of the most traveled tools that I own. 

Bought if from someone in Australia, to me in Michigan. It has been loaned out to Washington state on the left coast to the east coast and even Brian Heil has used it who lives about 30 miles north of me.

Great buy and congratulations on your purchase.

PS, did you get the round disk like a washer with it? If not I can post a picture of it.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

I did get a piece of advice on stuck cages and it seems counter productive, but it does work.

On a really stuck cage, the one you have pulled and pried on with everything,  remove the screw ring, spring/cap/keeper, put a large socket or similar round hollow object on the top of the cage but inside the diameter of the sealing ring and yes you have to hang on to the valve or fill the combustion chamber with rope or whatever your favorite trick is for not dropping the valve down in the chamber.  Once set up,  give it a good rap in the downward direction with a hammer.  It has something to do with freeing the wedge effect of the locking ring and cracking the carbon that is like cement around the bottom of the cage.  It works.  Trust me, after using every word you learned at camp in 4th grade while trying to free that SOB cage, giving it a good smack feels pretty good too.

When I put mine back together last time, I smeared anti-seize on the outside of the cage and sealing ring.  Time will tell.

For the record, I have borrowed Larry S.'s puller twice now.

Me:  Larry, is there anything of mine you need to borrow since you are so generous?

Larry:  Why would I do that?  I have everything I need.

End of story.

Thanks Larry!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Swastika was an Indian symbol for Good Luck.  The Second World War corrupted it into something that was viewed as horrible.  The Waterloo Gasoline Engine Company (forerunner of the John Deere Tractor) used the symbol in their advertising also.

Terry Wiegand

Out Doo Dah Way

• Like 1

Don, you are very observant.  That is exactly the reason for the disc being in the shape that it is in.  Also, the one arm on the puller is a different length to level the disc out once it is in place. From my experience, the puller works best when the spring is removed and the keeper is placed in the disc cup and a solid, level, and upward pull is commenced.  This is a very, very handy tool to have if a person has caged-valve Buick engines.  Been there and done that.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 1

I made some parts, including that disc, for a guy who had an incomplete puller. He borrowed a complete one for me to copy.  Terry, you are right about the unequal length legs too.

I guess that I am  lucky, i have never had a problem pulling any of the  cages on my engine. The manual says to remove the lock ring and tap the end of the valve - it has always worked for me.

However, who knows how many times those cages have been removed in the life of the car.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2018 at 7:36 AM, hidden_hunter said:

Guessing they err might have updated their logo at some point....

The swastika was used by many religions for hundreds years so there are a couple variations.  The swastika you see on the brochure matches the right facing horizontal image from the Finnish Air Force which is still in use.  When the Nazi's used it it was also right facing but rotated counterclockwise 45 degrees.  For all its variations and long history, it is on one hand a very controversial symbol and on the other hand the victim of generalization.

• Like 1